Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The fluffballs! Why won't they die?  (Read 13823 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
The fluffballs! Why won't they die?
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:03:01 pm »

I just added in my first custom creature.  It's called a fluffball (babies are fuzzballs), and it is nigh-invulnerable to everything I throw at it.  The actual idea I borrowed [read:shamelessly ripped off] from someone else's "featherball," but I added a great deal of the code myself, mainly to make it usable in fortress mode.

Spoiler: The code. (click to show/hide)

Let's see, there's a syndrome that quite effectively incapacitates almost anything, in a powder that they shed whenever it rains.  They're milkable, they breed incredibly fast, they purr/squeak, and setting them on fire only makes them deadlier.  Did I mention that they're tiny and fluffy and RELENTLESS?

EDIT:  The latest version of the code!  I made it so they can't be undead, because that caused some bizarre, game-breaking errors.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:42:37 am by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: The fluffballs! Why won't they die?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:13:42 pm »

If it's a one-part thing that has no bones to break, then blunt is out of the question. Make it bleed, maybe, and edge weapons will work after you cut it up a bit. Stab one with a spear in the arena, what message does it give you? Bruised?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:28:12 pm »

it seems that you have unwittingly created the perfect weapon..... and you're asking us to nerf it.

Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:33:47 pm »

Capture them and fire them at the gobbos out of a pressurized magma cannon, scattering them like cute, cuddly, fluffy napalm? Sounds good. Do they go out after 9 months like lignite or can they burn indefinitely?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:46:18 pm »

Capture them and fire them at the gobbos out of a pressurized magma cannon, scattering them like cute, cuddly, fluffy napalm? Sounds good. Do they go out after 9 months like lignite or can they burn indefinitely?
that's a bit like the fires in boatmurdered, the whole "never-ending flames" thing.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 08:15:37 pm »

Any attack just "passes right through," due to its only 'flesh' being feathers.  Also, as far as I can tell, it burns forever.  At one point I had replaced TRAILING_DUST_FLOW with TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW, but that made them set themselves on fire at the slightest provocation.
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 08:32:49 pm »

You could change [TRAILING_DUST_FLOW] to [UNDIRECTED_DUST]... that might make them self-destruct, although since they don't have flesh that might not work. It would at least reduce the range of the deadly dust, although it would be larger in area.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 08:39:37 pm »

In case I wasn't clear earlier, the VAPOR setting them on fire wasn't fatal.  It just made them into sentient fireballs.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 08:55:20 pm »

Yeah, but undirected dust is basically a dust explosion. If it's burning gas instead of dust, it can explode at will (without dying)!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 09:06:41 pm »

On an awesome note, I HAVE FLUFFBALLS OF WAR!
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 09:42:55 pm »

My dwarves somehow figured out how to kill them.  I still don't know how, but they can slaughter them at a butcher's shop.  It leaves no corpse or remains, meaning that the dwarves somehow... end them.  Forever.  My current hypothesis is that, as the fluffballs are intelligent and obeying the dwarves, the dwarves just tell them to stop existing.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »

My dwarves somehow figured out how to kill them.  I still don't know how, but they can slaughter them at a butcher's shop.  It leaves no corpse or remains, meaning that the dwarves somehow... end them.  Forever.  My current hypothesis is that, as the fluffballs are intelligent and obeying the dwarves, the dwarves just tell them to stop existing.
We'll just go with that.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 11:05:07 pm »

We'll just go with that.

I think there needs to be some off the wall ☼!!SCIENCE!!☼ here. I think I shall give them [POWER] [MEGABEAST] and some religious items to influence and see if they still die from random ettin/giant/etc attacks.

Why are you looking at me like that? Is there something on my face? ::DERP:: ::INSANE:: ONWARD FOR ☼!!SCIENCE!!☼

They took things over just fine... and horseapples they die just like any ruler. Funny thing. The two I looked at both picked the same civilization to flimflam. A Human Diety named Tikbo (Berry). Right shape too  ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:58:56 pm by Eldrick Tobin »
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 12:28:24 am »

They took things over just fine... and horseapples they die just like any ruler. Funny thing. The two I looked at both picked the same civilization to flimflam. A Human Diety named Tikbo (Berry). Right shape too  ;D
My guess is they were dying of old age more than anything else. 

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 12:38:08 am »

Hmm, if they are normally invincible but can be killed in world gen then that might mean materials are not taken into account during world gen battles. That probably explains why elves can kill bronze collossuses.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: [1] 2 3