Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Obsidian Rain(Megaproject idea)  (Read 12985 times)

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Rain(Megaproject idea)
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 07:32:39 am »

This seems like it'd be a cool way to destroy a fortress actually, now that I think about it

It'd make for a cool story.  "The day that the sky fell."

Sure beats "The day the badgers got inside."

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 07:48:16 am »

This seems like it'd be a cool way to destroy a fortress actually, now that I think about it

It'd make for a cool story.  "The day that the sky fell."

Sure beats "The day the badgers got inside."
you made my cereal enter in my lungs!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 08:22:37 am »

but now it's an extremely inefficient and labor intensive process

You do know that's an argument FOR its construction, right?

If it doesn't kill or cripple dozens of craftsdwarves in it's construction and take years to build, it's not worthy of the title "megaproject"

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 08:46:13 am »

Armok is praised by this glorious idea!

Jiopaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 09:13:51 am »

If this project were to have a suitably dramatic name, it'd have to be something like "The Black Tears of Armok."  Not to say "Obsidian Rain" isn't already unremittingly awesome.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 09:42:56 am »

I'm pretty sure an obsidian gun has been done before

The idea is at least as old as 2009, and was possibly created within months of the change to the 3D version. Many threads have been created on this topic, with names like "Cave-in Cannon" and "Midair obsidian generator". The common problem is preventing the superweapon from jamming shut at the muzzle.

See:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39629.0

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 10:29:05 am »

I'm pretty sure an obsidian gun has been done before

The idea is at least as old as 2009, and was possibly created within months of the change to the 3D version. Many threads have been created on this topic, with names like "Cave-in Cannon" and "Midair obsidian generator". The common problem is preventing the superweapon from jamming shut at the muzzle.

See:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39629.0

there's a design of Orbital Obsidian Cannon which would prevent or at least delay that problem.

Instead of mixing water with magma in the device they should be mixed on the ground.

it is actually not that hard to build, i half-finished the project in .21 but then .25 got out and i abandoned it.

1. Build pump stacks to lift water and magma to the desired level.
2. Build walls around your entire map, high enough to hold magma at the desired level.
    b - remember to have a lever-activated drain!
3. Flood the world with magma up to your walls. (or flood with water if you are not feeling hardcore today)
4. Flood the magma lake with water, forming a layer of obsidian high in sky.
5. repeat 3-4 to make it double.
5. Mine away the interior of the lower sky obsidian layer, leaving 3*3 U-shaped unmined rock tiles, separated by 2-tile wide corridors.
6. Channel away the floor in the middle of each 3*3  U, put a magma-proof hatch there, link it to a lever and pull,
7. Build walls to seal each U, making them into O's.
8. Channel away the floor tile immediately andjacent to the middle of any (say, left) wall of 3*3 O, put hatches there and link the to corresponding levers.
9. Mine away the interior of the higher sky obsidian layer entirely, only leaving a wall.
10. Channel the floor above the middle of each O on the lower layer.
10. Flood the upper layer with magma and the lower with water.
11. Remove the wall around your map.
Now, if a layer is pulled, a pair of hatches (or a 3*3 or 5*5 set of pairs) is opened and magma and water fall to the ground in tiles, separated by two squares.
They start flowing and pushing elves and stuff and mix and obsidianize everything.
With sufficient height, the weapon will be able to fire continiously for some time before the obsidian jams the hatches. Even then, you'll be able to fire the other muzzles.
Also, single-shot firing mode should be okay, too.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 10:43:15 am »

Mm, Urist, 'Twas thinking that myself.
That's why the holes are all seven-wide.
Although, I suppose that we could go 9 wide as well.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 11:28:10 am »

Urist looked upon the creation of the fort that had claimed lives and wounded many in it's construction.  He smiled and thought to himself, "it's good, but i bet we could improve it with magma somehow".

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 02:17:58 pm »

And thus, the Magma-Pressurization Tank was invented.
Except that it sucked, and the magma only went, like, five tiles before completely depressurizing.
But those five tiles still wiped out an elven Caravan, a Goblin Siege, and at least twenty useless immigrants.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Jiopaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 04:21:58 pm »

I'm going to turn my entire map into a ten-tiered magma fall, with glass roads leading to the entrance.

Hmm... probably should embark somewhere new, with a volcano.  Pumping up that much magma would suck.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 04:33:52 pm »

Make the ground under the device's target 1z hollow. Then it would fix itself, and allow the miners to mine it out safely again! If you had legendary miners, then this would be pretty much just be the commute time.

If you installed a door to the mining zone, then dust wouldn't affect the rest of the fortress, either!

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 04:52:50 pm »

Someone made that magma land-mine thing, what about shooting pressurized magma up into the air into falling globs of water through regularly spaced hatches along the ground?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 06:14:07 pm »

Remember that 'Magma only goes five tiles' thing I said earlier?
That's using magma pumps and several days straight(About 15 minutes, I suppose,) of pumping for the pressure necessary.
And it's probably an over-statement, at that.

Jiopaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 06:20:47 pm »

Actually, water landmines suddenly sound really cool.  A huge huge water tower to build up prsesure and a checkered grid of squares on the ground all topped up.  It'd be neat to open them in certain orders and hurl your foes about on geysers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3