Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Copyright regarding Screen shots from Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 9171 times)

jens03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Copyright regarding Screen shots from Dwarf Fortress?
« on: August 22, 2011, 04:50:25 am »

Hi. I'm an librarian writing an article in Danish about Dwarf Fortress for our library website.
I like to known if I'm legally allowed to use screen shots from DF in the article. I don't want to email Toady because he is a busy man. So has this come up before? Am I allowed to use pictures from the game, or should I resort to using freeware general fantasy pics?

Just to be clear. My workplace is strict about legal issues and doing things by the book.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright regarding Screen shots from Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 04:56:06 am »

At least everything in Dwarf Fortress Wiki should be rather free to use per this licence page. If that page is official, that is.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:44:37 am »

Aside from NDAs I've never heard of copyright infringement because someone posted a screenshot that was labeled properly, that is - not claiming it's done by someone else than original author.

Also - having articles with screenshots and stuff posted by other people on various websites (even containing [constructive] criticism) is good for your software. And I'm sure Toady is not thrilled with the idea of suing people over screenshots and promoting his game. DF is free of charge, it strengthens this point.

But don't quote me on that. ;)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:06:01 am »

As above, do not quote me on this.

As I understand it, a properly cited screenshot or nine are acceptable most everywhere. You will not be claiming ownership and instead be promoting where these came from, one assumes. There may be a limit if money is involved, but I only vaguely know the rules here and your country may vary in that regard. But if all you are doing is a write-up and not actively selling anything with regards to or related to the mention of this game? That should be fine. (Id est, I'd not do a write-up with captures and hawk my wares at the same time. But if I were the type to blog &c, I'd feel fine posting a few shots of a game I'm reviewing/ranting about/praising. Total fair-use, at least as I understand it. You are, indeed, allowed to reference what you are speaking about.)

Again, don't quote me, I am no lawyer. But if you aren't allowed to cite that which you are speaking about, well there would be no more useful papers and you'd have one damn hard time writing a thesis or pretty much anything else. (Unless you are the rare individual that has lived in a vacuum and only has original ideas born from said vacuum.)

Specifically to your point; Fair use seems to say you can use a set of shots in an article and cite them and be happy.

Mayhaps a person well skilled in Danish law will correct me, and you would then be best informed. Failing that, we've all of us seen reviews with screen shots of near every game, and they can't all be lucky at avoiding the law, neh?
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 07:12:55 am »

Failing that, we've all of us seen reviews with screen shots of near every game, and they can't all be lucky at avoiding the law, neh?
Heck, some sites put their logo on screenshots they post. Even when said screenshot was supplied from developer and you can see it all over internet.

And really, Toady is a very reasonable men and from what I've read (lurking a lot) you can't possibly expect any kind of problems with him in regards to screenshots of his game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 07:45:11 am »

And really, Toady is a very reasonable men and from what I've read (lurking a lot) you can't possibly expect any kind of problems with him in regards to screenshots of his game.

While how he plans to use it won't be something Toady would react to, I wouldn't go around making that guarantee to everyone. There are plenty of ways screen shots of Dwarf Fortress could be used without permission that he would object to.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 07:49:49 am »

Toady's probably not too busy to answer your emails though. Drop him a forum PM or something.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:53:16 am »

To be clear: (s)he's not asking whether Toady would object, or if it's reasonable, or "what everyone else is doing" but whether it's legal "by the book". Even if they'll never get sued by anyone, auditors will want to have explicit licenses as libraries have to be a role-model of copyright-adherence.

But yeah, explicit author permission is probably necessary, and a response with just "sure, okay" is probably enough and not too much trouble for him :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 07:54:18 am »

Alternatively... does DF contain a readme or so with licence information? Maybe it contains an answer. I can't check myself, I'm at work.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 08:09:04 am »

Alternatively... does DF contain a readme or so with licence information? Maybe it contains an answer. I can't check myself, I'm at work.
Don't know if there's anything specific to screenshots, maybe you can tell:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are plenty of ways screen shots of Dwarf Fortress could be used without permission that he would object to.

Care to elaborate? Got me curious. If it ain't nice to post here, PM would be great, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:12:03 am by Ethnar »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 08:20:07 am »

At any point someone using a SS from Dwarf Fortress to market a product or service would be a no no. Someone using any DF imagery without his permission to represent an organization would also be cause for problems. I think most other cases are Fair Use exceptions for the most part.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 08:37:23 am »

At any point someone using a SS from Dwarf Fortress to market a product or service would be a no no. Someone using any DF imagery without his permission to represent an organization would also be cause for problems. I think most other cases are Fair Use exceptions for the most part.
Hmm... thanks for the answer.

Not sure I get a clear picture, but I can see how printing t-shirts with screenshots from a game is walking on a thin ice. Still - usually in that case it's game logo/characters that is copyrighted.
Does selling a t-shirt with a screenshot from a game (that doesn't include name, logo and/or any characters) a copyright violation? I can see and agree that it's low (usually), but would it be a legal issue?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 08:41:16 am »

Then again, how is one supposed to tell whether a given scene is from DF or just other CP437 artwork?

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 08:46:30 am »

Then again, how is one supposed to tell whether a given scene is from DF or just other CP437 artwork?
I think (with my vastly lacking knowledge regarding copyrights ^^) that's the reason no one tries to copyright screenshots material, only logos/etc.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 08:52:58 am »

Fun fact, the entertainment industry is currently lobbying Congress to pass legislation that would make showing any content over the internet that's from copyrighted work illegal. So all the LPs on Youtube, or the forum LPs containing game images, all of that would be technically illegal to post without prior consent.

So whether its difficult to establish a SS's origin or not, its a matter for consideration.
Pages: [1] 2