Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Planet Generator 110902 Crashing into the Sun Edition  (Read 10721 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Planet Generator 110902 Crashing into the Sun Edition
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:49:24 am »

Hey I made this :) well, it's something I've been working on a little while. This is the exclusive bay12 edition ;)

Software to create your own 3D planets. Screenshots are shown below.

(BTW the intro screen options really aren't linked to anything in the current version, just hit enter for each one)

Download the App+Source 110902 where you can fly around a 'galaxy' of 300+ stars, visit planets, etc. This disables the create a 'home' planet feature, at least for now. The previous version 110827 allows you to create and view (for screenshots) a custom planet. It's pretty out-of-date though.

110902 adds collide with planets & stars(non-fatal though, lol), better enemies with movement using the 3D system of the player
110901b adds customization for gamepad in the ini file "default.txt"
110901a adds support for joystick/gamepad control + a fully 3D camera

110901 adds "default.txt" a mod file with syntax inspired by Dwarf Fortress's raws. This will be expanded on in the future, to allow custom content. Right now it's more for graphical tweaking and allows you to set several variables used in generating planets and the solar systems. if you're getting really high frame rates you can try and tweak the graphic detail upwards.

110831 adds texture bump-mapping, and some experimental "borg" things which have Neural Network AI which mutates & evolves over time (stores state between runs of the program). I'll make these scriptable / programmable later on.

110829 added in variable Level of Detail as you fly around, so that all stars, planets etc should be rendered nicely when you are close up. There is wrap-around of the galaxy area, so you never hit the edge of the system. There might be some detail popping visible now and then, but this has not been tweaked yet.

From Latest Version:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From 110827 Version: Planet URIST (default planet)
Spoiler: Surface View (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:40:19 pm by Reelyanoob »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Fractal Planet Generator - based on your name
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:55:56 am »

Heh, that's wicked cool. This just for funsies or are you going somewhere gamewise with this eventually?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:19:04 am »

Definitely building a game. The long term goal here is/was a daggerfall type game with a spherical world (although space conquest is interesting too), this started as a 2D terrain thing, and I actually implemented something similar to DF worldgen on it, then developed the sphere model (it uses 6 pieces of polygon mesh, i.e. cube mapping) later. So I've had actual 'worldgen' running on this thing ;)

But since playing DF I've decided to totally redesign my civilization / war etc system (and going spherical broke some stuff too), so I gutted that older code and cleaned upped / improved the planets code by itself. Also I now want to be able to go down onto the planets and make voxel based megaprojects ;) but I ALSO want to be able to fly around in space, explore the universe, maybe help out in wars etc, uplift species to space, since playing Spore (but hopefully less sucky).

So the project scope is now a : Daggerfall / Spore(with more 4X stuff) / Minecraft mash-up where you can fly from space onto planet surfaces, create or lead empires, go dungeon crawling. With almost infinite possible universes, each of billions of galaxies.

No, not too ambitious at all.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:25:02 am by Reelyanoob »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:28:42 am »

Good luck, and keep us updated! I would play/buy this in a heartbeat.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 06:41:05 pm »

Heh, the modification dates on some of the files are for later tonight, in my time zone (eastern).

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:45:12 pm »

So the project scope is now a : Daggerfall / Spore(with more 4X stuff) / Minecraft mash-up where you can fly from space onto planet surfaces, create or lead empires, go dungeon crawling. With almost infinite possible universes, each of billions of galaxies.

Actually everyone wants to create this exact game even if they don't know it yet. But hey you've got something to show! I'm liking it so far.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 05:12:49 am »

Actually everyone wants to create this exact game even if they don't know it yet. But hey you've got something to show! I'm liking it so far.
Yeah, that's just what I was thinking. Would be awesome as... Got nothing to compare that awesomeness with.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 05:22:59 am »

Oo, I can see possibilities here! Erosion would be interesting - it'd make the terrain less jagged and would hopefully result in valleys and mountains (and lakes and islands if water will be added). Thanks for the source, I want to have a look at that even though I'm busy with lots of other stuff and can't code a thing for this... yet :P
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 12:59:40 pm »

Yeah, working on it as well :) Except for the space thingy. Space is actually a boring great expanse of... nothing, that's why Star Wars has sounds and 95% of Star Trek is either on a ship or a planet.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »

Yeah, working on it as well :) Except for the space thingy. Space is actually a boring great expanse of... nothing, that's why Star Wars has sounds and 95% of Star Trek is either on a ship or a planet.

Not if there is actual physics and orbital mechanics! Then its !!FUN!! Whoops aimed a bit too far, now my giant 5 hours of work capital ship is crashing into that blue giant! OH NOOO! Wait, thoose space elf's i captured are leaking out, THIS IS SO !!FUN!!

I really like what you got right now! Would kill to fly around with orbital mechanics in this game. Also, could you try adding sea's and little cities of cubes? That would be so nerdgasmic!
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 06:59:39 pm »

A less sucky Spore? Please let this happen...
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:10 pm »

Apparently "Jay" generates something nearly identical to URIST, judging from your screenshots.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 08:23:32 pm »

Similar colour scheme, but the topography is quite different, so it's not identical. And your moon is blue rather than purple :) Future versions will have increased variability. Well I might as well add that to the update I was going to upload.

EDIT: @Jay: Your planet has red mountains and yellow valleys, URIST has yellow mountains and red valleys. So they are not even that similar.

BTW Kay12: I simplified the planets code now, so it'd be easier to understand / make changes. Lots of that was legacy from the previous app this was part of. Will Upload shortly. A few new features added.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:31:59 pm by Reelyanoob »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 08:59:05 pm »

In fact, the game you're making here is a bit like what Armok 1 was shaping up to be!

But that died :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4