Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let us choose what issue to discuss in LCS/Issue responsiveness in NPCs.  (Read 999 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

So, in the original Tarn Adams LCS you could choose which issue to discuss. But IIRC it was just on the surface. What I propose is that different NPC types should response differently to different issues, and you should be able to choose the issue. Same thing for your cable/AM studio jackings. For example, a liberal musician or author might care about freedom of speech; a moderate female might be more interested in woman's rights than a moderate male; low-level workers like janitors might care about worker's rights.

Ideas?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Let us choose what issue to discuss in LCS/Issue responsiveness in NPCs.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:47:41 pm »

I think what it does is pick the highest skill the player has and bases the the issue they broach on that.

At least, I seemed to have much better luck with law arguments when talking to Judges and Lawyers when I had a character with at least a few points in law.

Basically it's streamlining your chances for success. If it's at all skill based beyond persuasion....that would make your chances of successfully recruiting even more of a crap shoot. Because we'd have to guess (or know) which issues we have the best chance of success at.

The system has room for improvement. I'm just not sure having to choose between 20 different issue choices (and having to write responses for each NPC (50? 60), for each issue (10+), success and failure(x2)), gender (x2), would be a good thing for players. It might be slightly more immersive, but it's a hell of a lot of work and would obfuscate recruiting even more.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aerogen

• Bay Watcher
  • estou estupefato
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:35:50 pm »

Talking about choices, why not add the ability to choose which enemy your squad attacks at every turn? It is quite frustrating to have my liberals attack the unarmed and/or wounded enemies while the soldier/cops are opening fire against my squad.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:38:46 pm »

Talking about choices, why not add the ability to choose which enemy your squad attacks at every turn? It is quite frustrating to have my liberals attack the unarmed and/or wounded enemies while the soldier/cops are opening fire against my squad.
Off topic and discussed to death.

But anyways it would be pretty cool to recruit people with your guns skill, the higher your gun skill the more dangerous you know they are.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:48:13 am »

Both choosing which issue to talk about and choosing which target to attack are issues of streamlining; I agree that there are things to gain by allowing them, but I think the slowed pacing outweighs the benefits. I'll explain the detailed reasoning for each of these issues as they currently stand.

At the moment, your chance of success when talking about the issues is altered according to the speaker, target, and issue; as Nenjin observed, a hippie lecturing a judge on law issues will be significantly less effective than vice versa. It doesn't, however, necessarily pick the best issue. I don't think it's very important that it does, to be honest. The bias isn't a gameplay mechanic, it's just a flavor tweaker. It helps to ensure scientists don't roll poorly on science issues so often, and a corporate executive is more likely to have a partisan retort about taxes than a biker. On the flip side, prompting the player to pick one of twenty or more virtually identical options is not usually a very fun game design motif, and I feel that speculating about what will work best for a given character may be fun, but it's only a little bit fun. Most of the flavor benefits from having that mechanic that are already realized without making the player choose an issue; you get all the fun of seeing your character talk about all sorts of issues and hearing a wide variety of responses when the computer picks an issue randomly. Plus, you're likely to see more of the content that way, with less repetition, since the computer's RNG is likely to spread its choices out much more than you are.

The reason combat doesn't allow targeting is that it would slow combat down and make it more complicated. Right now, the computer auto-targets, spreading attacks out a bit and preferring (but not guaranteeing) attacks against armed and dangerous targets, turning fighting into a one button affair that doesn't require a lot of thought, and emphasizing building characters rather than your tactics in battle. It can be irritating if your characters insist on shooting at the unarmed teacher instead of the death squads, which is why the computer has a subtle bias against doing that. For example, with four healthy cops, one crippled cop, and three nobodies throwing punches, each healthy cop will be shot at 20% of the time, and the crippled cop and nobodies will only be selected 5% of the time each. You'll still see some bad choices, but a few bad targeting decisions are an intentional part of the chaos. After all, nobody ever praised your rag-tag revolutionaries for their discipline and common sense.