Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Has anyone noticed...?  (Read 4250 times)

Aerogen

• Bay Watcher
  • estou estupefato
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone noticed...?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 11:00:27 pm »

Nah, the LCS is a heterogeneous group when it comes to the racial traits of its members, but elves are all white skinned blondes with blue eyes. You know, I think elves must be the decedents of some ultra racist arch-conservative humans that eugenized the fucking life out every single "non-whiteblondewithblueeyes" inside the genetic pool of their community and then got those stupid pointy ears out of countless generations of inbreeding.  :P

Besides, the LCS is only against the abuse of liberal plants and animals, it's ok to torture enlighten and murder liberate from their miserable conservative existence all the rest. ;D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's black elves.

...Someone needs to illustrate this.

:o Tolkien, you liar.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 12:44:40 am »

I don't think DF elves are the same as Tolkien elves... Tolkien elves are tall, poetic and civilized, but I think DF elves are more like the gnomish variety. Just my mental image, though...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 01:07:18 pm »

I don't think DF elves are the same as Tolkien elves... Tolkien elves are tall, poetic and civilized, but I think DF elves are more like the gnomish variety. Just my mental image, though...

That's probably true... although not the Santa's Little Helpers type (that's someone else...), they use small armour (Santa's Little Helpers here).
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 01:13:50 pm »

That's probably true... although not the Santa's Little Helpers type (that's someone else...), they use small armour (Santa's Little Helpers here).

I was thinking about the traditional house elves that served as an inspiration to Christmas elves, but were often less cuddly and occasionally mischievous. Lots of Finnish folklore involves them - sauna elf is my favorite. I think other Nordics and Germans and... well, pretty much everyone has their versions of them.

As for armor size, I think it is/used to be so that elven armor small, otherwise, but not wide enough for dwarves, leaving out the possibility of "thin human size". I still like the house elf idea better.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 01:32:12 pm »

I thought elves had "large" armor compared to dwarves, just like humans. Is that no longer the case? I haven't played DF in ages.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 02:48:04 pm »

I think it's too narrow for humans and too narrow and tall for dwarves.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 04:18:21 pm »

Aye, from a dwarven view, goblin and elven clothing is too narrow (and for humans, too), human clothing is overall too large and kobold clothing is too small.

I can imagine elven clothing is too tall, also. I see the elves in the game about the same height as humans but much thinner.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 12:06:45 pm »

Just checked raws and wiki. Both dwarves and elves are the exact same size (on average)
No idea about armors though, haven't tried equipping elven armour on a dwarf and I don't play elves. (Size is measured in cm3, so they might not be the same height, they might just be thinner or something though.)
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 12:12:20 pm »

Just checked raws and wiki. Both dwarves and elves are the exact same size (on average)
No idea about armors though, haven't tried equipping elven armour on a dwarf and I don't play elves. (Size is measured in cm3, so they might not be the same height, they might just be thinner or something though.)

Yes, but elven armor has/used to have the NARROW-tag. Meaning that they're thinner than dwarves, but since they're the same size, they must be taller.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 12:49:31 pm »

Yes, but elven armor has/used to have the NARROW-tag. Meaning that they're thinner than dwarves, but since they're the same size, they must be taller.

Just checked that too. Same height.... I can't find where to look for that [NARROW] tag.

This thread has been extremely derailed, btw.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 12:59:12 pm »

Just checked that too. Same height.... I can't find where to look for that [NARROW] tag.

I think it was in 40d versions - all body size things were based on a set of tags back then.

This thread has been extremely derailed, btw.

Not "extremely"; it was about DF elves in the first place... ;) but yeah, I guess it's pretty much settled...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 01:05:04 pm »

Nah, the LCS is a heterogeneous group when it comes to the racial traits of its members, but elves are all white skinned blondes with blue eyes.

Nope.

Hair: [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:GOLDEN_YELLOW:1:GOLDENROD:1:MOSS_GREEN:1:ORANGE:1:PUMPKIN:1:RED:1:SAFFRON:1:SCARLET:1:SILVER:1:WHITE:1]
Skin: [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BROWN:1:BURNT_UMBER:1:CINNAMON:1:COPPER:1:DARK_BROWN:1:DARK_PEACH:1:DARK_TAN:1:ECRU:1:PALE_BROWN:1:PALE_CHESTNUT:1:PALE_PINK:1:PEACH:1:PINK:1:RAW_UMBER:1:SEPIA:1:TAN:1:TAUPE_PALE:1:TAUPE_SANDY:1]
Eyes: [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_AQUA:1:IRIS_EYE_AQUAMARINE:1:IRIS_EYE_AZURE:1:IRIS_EYE_BLUE:1:IRIS_EYE_CERULEAN:1:IRIS_EYE_DARK_BLUE:1:IRIS_EYE_DARK_GREEN:1:IRIS_EYE_DARK_OLIVE:1:IRIS_EYE_EMERALD:1:IRIS_EYE_FERN_GREEN:1:IRIS_EYE_GREEN:1:IRIS_EYE_JADE:1:IRIS_EYE_LIGHT_BLUE:1:IRIS_EYE_MINT_GREEN:1:IRIS_EYE_MOSS_GREEN:1:IRIS_EYE_OLIVE:1:IRIS_EYE_PALE_BLUE:1:IRIS_EYE_PINE_GREEN:1:IRIS_EYE_SEA_GREEN:1:IRIS_EYE_SKY_BLUE:1:IRIS_EYE_SPRING_GREEN:1:IRIS_EYE_TEAL:1:IRIS_EYE_TURQUOISE:1:IRIS_EYE_AMBER:1:IRIS_EYE_GOLD:1:IRIS_EYE_GOLDEN_YELLOW:1:IRIS_EYE_YELLOW:1]

And yes, dwarves and elves are the exact same (average) size in-game. Height and width/broadness don't vary between them either, but that wouldn't matter much since that's purely cosmetic (aside from affecting overall size). Kind of disappointing, really, but I guess body shape might matter more in the future.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 03:24:04 pm »

G-Flex, that has already been posted... well not all of it, but most of it... Btw, what does Pale Brown look like?

Anyway, it's settled. Size considered, without beards, elves are the same height and probably width that dwarves are... which makes you think... Are they just extremely insane surface dwarves?
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 05:50:09 pm »

Considering how dwarves tend to act, I don't know about the "insane" part.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 06:20:39 pm »

I find making a topic about it redundant, so I'll just post it here.

I like the little (and not so little) references here and there, like the firemen with flamethrowers. That reference (with the glorious ray of enlightenment that is TVTropes) drove me to read Fahrenheit 451.
Pages: 1 [2] 3