Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Your Gamer Quirks  (Read 2482 times)

Shanba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://uhm
Re: Your Gamer Quirks
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »

I always have exactly one herbalist and at least one hunter (on maps where it's applicable)

I customise any immigrant's profession name to the job I intend for them to do. If I want them to do a job for which I already have a skilled worker (miner, say) they get the tag apprentice miner.

I build workshops outside as a temporary measure and never get round to bringing them back in.

I almost always do my farming outdoors because it's simpler.

Apart from that, symmetry, annoyance at loose stone...

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

I have nearly all the same quirks listed:

> Same stone throughout - I'll carve down walls and rebuild them with the correct stone.
> Symmetrical rooms - everything is 6x6 except dwarf rooms - I'll build enough 2x2 dwarf rooms to keep the pacing of 6x6 rooms so I don't get off
> I always place all my workshops on the north side and the living space on the south side with a "green space" in between to keep things happy.  Dwarven green space == booze storage and dining hall w/entrance.
> I also always have an over-elaborate entrance and nothing built on the top 2 z-levels for safety reasons; no secondary entrances.
> After everything is set up I will begin production on a huge city building project above ground with mansions, markets, housing districts, canals & bridges (if possible), walls and towers, a goblin sacrificial tower (max z-level for max splatter), a keep and a temple.  Nobody will live or do anything up here - simply for looking awesome.  Actually the sacrificial tower gets a lot of use once the sieges start and I need to unload cages.
> After the major roadways are set up above ground in the city I will build 3+ tile wide roads to each side of the map carving through mountains and bridging rivers.  I usually try to note where migrants and caravans arrive from.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

I tend to have a medium-sized brigade of engravers- most with other professions when I don't need anything done.  I regard it as quite an honorable profession.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »

I tend to carve out way too many 5x5 rooms for all my workshops.  As in, I over-designate and end up using a lot of them for stockpiles rather then workshops.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »

I didn't realise you could view your dwarves personalities before embarking.

Now I'm going to wind up carefully matching their professions to their personalities...

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

I can't bring myself to butcher kittens. I butcher them when they grow into cats, but even then I don't enjoy it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »

I never euthanize injured dwarves or kill nobles.  I think everyone else is quirky for doing it ;p

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

I have a tendency to abandon and generate a new world rather than try to fix a fortress where the layout is too broken--like the time I designated and dug out a 40x40 dining room, only to find that the far corner of it was half unengravable soil...

...also, I like microcline. I like that cyan adamantine-esque color. I use it for roads, trade depots, and other non-hidden fun stuff.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.
Pages: 1 2 [3]