Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infinity!: Unlimited Fun in the Future  (Read 1277 times)

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
Infinity!: Unlimited Fun in the Future
« on: August 22, 2011, 06:44:35 am »

Hello! This will be my first forum game so bear with me if I don't respect normal protocols and such. I figured if I want to run a game, I will run it my own way and generally play it by ear. We're all here to have fun anyhow, so I don't see how it will be a big deal.

THE GIST OF THINGS
This will be a roleplaying game where a forumer controls a single character in this little universe I create (with my imagination). I really don't want to limit the amount of characters, but to begin we'll start with around three. I will allow more as things progress.

I will be using rather basic stats, a fighter will fight better and an engineer will, er, be better at engineery stuff. But we'll get to all that in a minute. I want to create an environment that's fun for you as well as being fun for me while not being a large time-sink, so we'll see how the pacing goes.

HISTORY
In the year 2050, a coalition of scientists based in India discovered a way to propel spacecraft at speeds beforehand thought unimaginable. By the year 2055, India had established a base on the moon and began geological surveys on all of Sol's bodies. Discoveries made soon after proved to be extremely profitable and many other nations jumped on the gravy-train, establishing mining operations on Luna, Mars, Mercury and Titan.

Initially, there was little regulation upon such interstellar endeavors. However, after a conflict in 2075 between the United States and China over mineral rights on Mars that almost lead to World War III, the UN decided to step in and monitor things. While the their influence was marginal at first, the United Nations slowly took more and more authority over such affairs.

In 2120, the UN mandated after several sessions that civilian colonies become established as overpopulation had become an issue. Before then, terraforming was difficult and expensive and off-planet workers were only allowed to bring their families (if that). Many countries proudly created colonies on Mars, Luna and Titan, as well as some large asteroids.

In 2156, scientists in Germany invented an engine that could propel ships to other solar systems in short bursts. The world's nations began colonizing planets outside our solar system. Meanwhile, tensions on Earth began forming as the United Nations, headed by leaders from the world's largest nations such as China and the United States began enforcing control on all the world's countries. Factions in Europe, the Middle East and third-world countries started to move against this.

2180, the United Nations mandates that all nations become subsidiary to the greater UN government. Many oppose this plan while more powerful nations stand behind it. A series of wars spark between those who do not wish to belong to a unified government. Generally being outgunned, the separatists lose in each situation.

2215, many of Earth's colonies band to reject UN rule, the ensuing war results in UN victory, yet many smaller wars disrupt UN control of fringe colonies, some colonies garnering pseudo-independence. A colony in Ross-128, for example, flies a Brazilian flag.

INTRODUCTION
The year is 2230, Earth's inhabitants have expanded beyond their pale, blue dot and have colonized several other worlds. While billions live away from Earth, our homeworld is still overpopulated, many of the planet's cities consist of large slums and honest work is hard to come by. The dream of many, not among the very small upper class, is to find a way off of Earth to start a life elsewhere.

Somewhere on Earth, three friends have almost piled enough money together to purchase a spaceship

YOUR JOB
Ok, I will be taking three applicants to start off. As the starting three require more people, I will take more applications. If you wish to be some sort of minor character, you may also PM me and I'll try and work you in. My goal is to simply not overwhelm myself.

The starting three are simply three friends on Earth who are trying to buy a ship.

Character Sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First three applications will get the spot, unless I reject you. :P

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:52:43 am by Stealtharcadia »
Yeah yeah yeah!

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity!: Unlimited Fun in the Future
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:08:29 am »

-Reserved for GM'y stuff-
Yeah yeah yeah!

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:19 am »

Name:Amadeus Septimus Mozart
Sex:Male
Skills:Navigation,Ship engineering,Marksman
Bio:Amadeus grew up in Australia where he read books about Ship navigation and engineering and in his spare time he set up bottles and shot them. When he reached 18 he shot down a purse snatcher. Shortly after he met the other 2 and pơled his money in with theirs to get a ship.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:45:30 pm by Firelordsky »
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:12:09 am »

Name: Abel Keith Miller
Sex: Male
Skills: Engineering, repair/maintenance, robotics
Background: Abel was born to a poor family, one of many who live on Earth. His parents found that they could not not properly provide for him, and put him up for adoption. Growing up, he took an interest in robotics to help fill the void called loneliness. He did not not know much, building simple things. One of the few things he could do to make money was fixing broken thing he would find in the junk yards, and selling them for whatever he could get. Which wasn't much considering. In his later teen years, he took an interest in space flight, oh how nice it would be to explore the unknown (at least, unknown to him). He taught himself a bit about engineering systems reading whatever he could get his hands on.

((That's it for now, early in the morning, my writing is crap))
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:21:08 am by Comp112 »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29:38 am »

Name: Ernest Strife
Sex: Male
Skills: Long Arms, Persuasion, Resistance to damage

Bio: A strange type who befriended the other two one dark night when he shot down a mugger. He's not all that willing to talk about his past, but he seems trustworthy enough. At least, the amount of hard currency he was willing to put in to the ship seemed trustworthy enough. Is there really a difference in the end?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 03:52:09 pm »

Everything looks fine. Is there any place you guys would like to start off? It really doesn't matter where, it's just for a bit of flavor. If not I'll just pick a place. I'll write up the first update/intro tonight or tomorrow.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:11:44 pm »

Arizona!

Tons of junk yards out there.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 07:09:38 am »

I vote for Barbados, as Barbados is a nice island.
Even the avatars expire eventually.