Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Traps are op as hell  (Read 6129 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Traps are op as hell
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 06:28:22 am »

The one time I've played long enough to encounter sieges, I've built an entrance to my fortress in a tower, ten z-levels above the ground, and connected it to the ground with a ramp and a windy path without railings. With green glass cockscrew traps on it.

Watching goblins dodge all the way to the ground was great. Trolls blowing apart, too.

I don't feel that's particularly OP. Cage traps are. Maybe if there was a system which would cause enemies to free their companions...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 08:12:11 am »

If i want a long lived epic fort i do this: 2X50 corridor being the only way in or out. the barracks are at the fort end of the corridor with everyone on permanent training. The corridor is 10x adamantine (Or steel if i dont have a good vein field, or a mix once i have sufficient suits of armour and weapons) per tile, all made by legendary smiths. At this point only trap avoids and people with diplomats who scouted the traps before hand can get through...and then i have conventional defences to deal with them, pillboxes and the like. With this you are invincible. Hell a drawbridge and some intelligent archer positions will make you damn near unkillable.

If i don't want to live long, none of that and raw muscle power and a locked door
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 05:55:38 pm »

Digger AI could probably be defeated by just an empty shell around the fortress. Diggers dig into the shell, 'see' that there's a walkable path to their intended victims, and dutifully report to the barracks / firing range / magma trap.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 10:01:18 am »

Digger AI could probably be defeated by just an empty shell around the fortress. Diggers dig into the shell, 'see' that there's a walkable path to their intended victims, and dutifully report to the barracks / firing range / magma trap.

I've already planned one step farther, leaving a walkway on the enemy side of the shell, so that diggers can path without digging.  Hopefully will prevent them from tearing up the map with useless tunnels.

Of course, we're both assuming that siegers won't be able to build bridgers or ladders, and the "channel exploit" is still something that Toady want's to address better, so I expect we'll have siegers crossing empty space before they dig.  That will leave us with little option but to make a massive, 20 z-level moat around the entire fortress.  Fun!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2011, 10:10:23 am »

I've already planned one step farther, leaving a walkway on the enemy side of the shell, so that diggers can path without digging.  Hopefully will prevent them from tearing up the map with useless tunnels.

Of course, we're both assuming that siegers won't be able to build bridgers or ladders, and the "channel exploit" is still something that Toady want's to address better, so I expect we'll have siegers crossing empty space before they dig.  That will leave us with little option but to make a massive, 20 z-level moat around the entire fortress.  Fun!

Plus, cave ins.

FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 12:59:49 pm »

Personally I like traps, but cage traps are particularly op. A restriction on what a wooden cage should be able to hold would be nice, and I don't think cage traps, of any kind, should be able to catch mega and forgotten beasts either. To give a challenge, I don't go after Adamantine and I don't use danger rooms; all my veterans are real veterans, so I think it's fair. I prefer weapon and stone traps anyway - the hilarity of besiegers running through all kinds of hell, beleaguered and bloodied, to get at a fresh squad of warriors is hilarious.

I also like to have bridges with large pits underneath. Kind of epic when there's a mass battle on a bridge with people being thrown off the edge to go plummeting to either their deaths or some very nasty wounds.

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2011, 11:53:57 pm »

cage traps really are the one time i used them they caught literally everything which is so disappointing if you have a bunch of other stuff you wanted to see get used. of course it might just be because i used a ton of them

nic32911668

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 01:57:28 am »

i agree cage traps are op but i like the other traps. i think i would like to see more versions of trap_avoid. some monsters that can avoid cage traps but not weapon traps and such. I think a large monster (like a forgotten beast) shouldn't be able to be caged but should be able to be hit by a few spinning disks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 02:38:39 am »

Honestly the only main quarrel here is cage traps. And trap_avoid creatures make that all null and void. Instead of making traps nerfed, make everything else smarter. Having goblins that just waited outside of traps or Goblins that could disable them would instantly solve a lot of the questions here.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 08:29:05 am »

It'll come, Mr. Whispers. It'll come.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 11:54:26 am »

Give goblins and other enemies Trap Avoid.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 11:55:32 am »

Perhaps drive a herd of Fuzzy Wamblers ahead of themselves to fill your cages and ID or clog your weapon traps.
Might be nice if they had some skilled sappers to deconstruct the traps they find.  Non-legendary ones would set the trap off and maim themselves by accident sometimes.

Using observer skill to have a chance of detecting/marking and avoiding the traps rather than the all-or-nothing trapavoid would be really nice.
Having the traps mostly slow down a highly skilled goblin commander (has to spend time looking and disabling, rather than just rushing through) would be great.
Pages: 1 2 [3]