Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My fort has MAGMA LANDMINES  (Read 35459 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My fort has MAGMA LANDMINES
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 02:18:16 pm »

I've decided to try the magma flamethrower. It's a 3x30 Hallway, with a pair of raised bridges holding back a lot of pressurized magma. Grates drain the magma back into the cistern that holds it.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 02:19:07 pm »

By the way, I've noticed that trolls will path to the landmines and just sort of chill out around the pressure plates. Eventually they'll smash the grate. Does destroying rock grates take a fixed amount of time or anything?

Destroying the grates doesn't actually hurt anything, and it's only a matter of time before one of the trolls steps on a pressure plate and melts the squad, so it's no problem.

Anyway, I haven't done anything new with this just yet because I've been busy with, e.g., trying to get my Duchess and Queen both married off. Duchess is, now working on the Queen.
Build a large number of single-tiles rock roads around them, with pessure plates spaced intermitently, and trolls will die in droves.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 12:02:58 am »

That's a good idea.

In other news:

Yes, that Forgotten Beast is on fire. Two of the other five Forgotten Beasts in that magma channel are melting. One is made of olivine and thus obviously won't melt. The other is made of snow and won't melt.

Huh.

AT ANY RATE.
Basically I built a really long twisty corridor leading from the cavern layer to the middle of my fortress with these 5 beasties (I had it sealed off for a LONG time because of a nasty forgotten beast or two with a fatal dust attack) and, somewhere in the middle of the corridor, a door leading to pressurized magma. In front of the door was a one-use pressure plate set to activate on magma, which closes drawbridges at both ends of the corridor (the fortress end and the cavern end). The cavern end was exposed, and all five beasties pathed into the fort and rushed in... right up to the door to batter it down. (Fortunately, the miner who let them in was JUST able to escape before the corridor closed and filled with magma!)
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 08:49:19 pm »

The other is made of snow and won't melt.

Huh.

Fridge Logic.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 11:29:43 pm »

XD

In other news: The magma landmines were even MORE effective in the most recent siege. Since I locked the elf caravan out with the goblins, and the entire goblin army chased them until someone inevitably stepped on a landmine. And then everyone melted.

Guys I weaponized elves; the way you weaponize them is to have them get murdered in such a way that the goblins die horribly as well.
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 02:10:25 am »

Guys I weaponized elves; the way you weaponize them is to have them get murdered in such a way that the goblins die horribly as well.

I ... I think ... you took your Dorfiness to 11!  :o   :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 12:59:20 pm »

this has finally inspired me to mess with pumps and such, thank you

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 11:12:46 pm »

*bump* THIS MUST BE SEEN!
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 11:31:51 pm »

Dwarven Welcome Mat? 
Dwarven Lawn Sprinkler?
Dwarven Bidet?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 04:02:47 pm »

Frogwarrior, you sir are my new best hero

thats best friend and hero combined

congrats
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »

The right half of my map is regularly completely flooded with magma. I had to build a wall around the river (and the artificial lake I just dug) to keep it from being thoroughly obsidian'd. After every invasion, I run the risk of my haulers going for a troll fur sock right next to spreading magma, or a mountain goat randomly triggering one a moderate distance away.

It's kind of awesome.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 07:14:21 pm »

I understand that it works, but I don't understand how it works. Could someone smarter than me explain it to me?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 09:49:48 pm »

I understand that it works, but I don't understand how it works. Could someone smarter than me explain it to me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a01QQZyl-_I&ob=av3n
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 10:04:57 pm »

Toady ought give you a custom title along the lines of "sarcastic bastard." :P

Basically, when you pump magma it gains pressure same as water. In this trap, you place a floor hatch or other similar item over a hole in the ground, at least one but preferably more z-levels below the pump you used to pressurize the magma, connected by underground tunnels to that magma. When the hatch is opened by a pressure plate/dumb troll, magma that was trapped in the tunnel spews out and kills everything.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 10:52:15 pm »

To simplify: There's a pump stack at a higher level.  All the pumps face the same way, depositing magma into a tube.  This tube goes down, over, and up, but it doesn't go up as high as the original pump stack.  Magma pushed through a pump will teleport to the next empty square it can path to that is below the pump's level.

A dumb picture:
Code: [Select]
pP~|
 | |
 | | |~~>
 | |_| |
 |_____|

As long as the output is below the pump, the magma will flow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4