Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: My fort has MAGMA LANDMINES  (Read 35212 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: My fort has MAGMA LANDMINES
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 08:04:14 am »

Hmm, I would like to see a dwarven flamethrower. It would be a nice touch in a fort: the only hallway into a fort, walls on either side lined with flamethrowers.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 08:21:59 am »

I want one of these. How much would it cost to contract your dorfs to make one for my fort? :P
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 08:35:45 am »

Hmm, I would like to see a dwarven flamethrower. It would be a nice touch in a fort: the only hallway into a fort, walls on either side lined with flamethrowers.

Unfortunately, the heat from even a magma-safe material would still transfer to a dwarf with such close contact, so either we must STRIKE THE OIL! or make them remote-controlled. The latter, really, being good only for emplacement weapons. I would LOVE to see dwarves melting down a forgotten beast wherever it may roam, however.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 08:53:38 am »

Magma Landmines.
Now with Water Sprinklers, and Obsidian Rain-Drops!

And if that doesn't kill them, collapsing the structure for the Water-Sprinklers WILL!
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 11:53:12 am »

you know, necro found a completely flat  volcano that was massive a few days ago, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91712.0
being here, now to combine thes things to create a 91z fountain of pure delicious death
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 11:54:31 am »

Could easily be done horizontally as well. Not sure if there's an advantage, and you'd be more limited in where you could put a horizontal one - you'd have to put it into a hillside that goblins would be walking RIGHT past, or into a corridor or something. If you just put it any old cliff face, there's a really big chance that the goblins will path AROUND it (they'll path around large obstacles in a diamond shape, so they'd miss it entirely). So if you do it horizontally into a hillside, leave the ramps on I guess, but if they come from above there's a good chance that only the first one down the hillside onto the pressure plates might get melted, with the others safely on high ground.

So if you do it horizontally, it'd be best to build it into a cliff face that the goblins have to walk past to get to your fort. If you built it into a cliff face or hillside like I did, you could level out the rest of the hillside into a big, straight cliff with no ramps; then any goblins from that side of the map will walk RIGHT along the cliff face to get to you, meaning it's a great place for a horizontal trap.

And there's the distant possibility, perhaps, that instead of wasting magma pumping up an impressive several-z geyser, it will instead rush at high velocity horizontally, i.e. right into goblin ass? Testing is required. I might repurpose the entire aboveground into a maze of magma landmines of various builds.

If you do it horizontally, I recommend you put the door at the bottom of the trap, so that buildingdestroyers don't smash it and turn it on forever:
Code: [Select]
OOOOOOOO
O /=~~~O
O~=\ O~OOO
O /=~O~O~~!g!~
O~=\ O~O~OOOOO
OOOO~O~+~O

I'm working on a trap specifically for buildingdestroyers where you DO build the door at the top, so that trolls will path there, smash the door, and get a pressurized magma surprise. I'm working on making it automated and easily resettable - it would have to involve some sort of magma-triggered pressure plate that prevents magma from gouting out until you manually kill it, but in such a way that the magma flowing off or drying up doesn't activate the system again. Ideally the system could be reset by rebuilding the door and pulling a single lever, and I'm working on how to do that. Also, I might put a whole bunch of obsidian statues near the door to distract them so that the whole troll squad arrives by the time the door gets broken down.

ANYWAY. The advantage of pressurized magma is that you do NOT have to build screw pumps for each trap site; you just hook everything up to the same pressurized system. However, if multiple channels are open at once, the magma will NOT follow all of the paths but only the one CLOSEST to the pressurization site. So when I pull my all-doors lever, only the landmine with the shortest path to the pump stack starts erupting. No clue what would happen if you did some wizardry where every magma landmine was the same distance from the pump stack though.....

LASTLY. If this all is somehow NOT DWARFY enough for you....
Make a bunch of magma-safe chains. Put one next to each landmine. Chain up a puppy or kitten. When the goblins attack, they will path to the animals. Awesome.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 01:08:56 pm »

Hm. I wonder if there's a way to get this to work with that embark of mine with the 1800z magma spire.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 02:20:51 pm »

parameters plz? :D

If you can climb up all the way to the top, and put in a screw pump or two, then yes probably >: )
Actually, pressurizing a naturally high deposit of magma would require a different engineering feat. The pumps pressurizing it need to be drawing from another source of magma, which should not be connected to the pressurized system. Otherwise you'll just be pumping magma in a loop.
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 06:44:26 pm »

ahhh, they called us mad, Not using a military and leaving our defenses to machines. MAD. WHO'S MAD NOW?!

LAVA TO THE FAAAAACE.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 08:47:01 pm »

It is mad. In a very likeable way :)

I built something similar once, but dropped the magma from above. Building all the magmaducts took years and I also used a lot more pumps to get enough pressure. It was more like a giant magma rain machine. I think, I prefer your way. Does it also have a way to open the hatches manually, in case an invader walks close by but doesn't step on the pressure plate?
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 08:55:36 pm »

Relevant shameless self promotion:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77353.0

Similar, but can fire for a long time and with high flow rate.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 09:11:54 pm »

It is mad. In a very likeable way :)

I built something similar once, but dropped the magma from above. Building all the magmaducts took years and I also used a lot more pumps to get enough pressure. It was more like a giant magma rain machine. I think, I prefer your way. Does it also have a way to open the hatches manually, in case an invader walks close by but doesn't step on the pressure plate?

You could build it that way; I didn't want to put in another 15 whole levers but whatever.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 12:19:56 am »

bump
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 12:21:50 am »

Bonus points if you somehow manage to make a bridge that goes over a giant statue of Trogdar, with the Magma Landmine shooting out of his mouth, in order to burninate the Goblins.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 12:30:05 pm »

By the way, I've noticed that trolls will path to the landmines and just sort of chill out around the pressure plates. Eventually they'll smash the grate. Does destroying rock grates take a fixed amount of time or anything?

Destroying the grates doesn't actually hurt anything, and it's only a matter of time before one of the trolls steps on a pressure plate and melts the squad, so it's no problem.

Anyway, I haven't done anything new with this just yet because I've been busy with, e.g., trying to get my Duchess and Queen both married off. Duchess is, now working on the Queen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4