Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 443521 times)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2011, 01:23:17 pm »

I never, ever had trouble with France, they always become a few province minor for me, except when I played as one.

I think from reading about it, this may be because of the version of EU? That in some versions France gets devoured by Burgundy consistently? I am playing In Nomine and am reluctant to spring for any more expansions (which are not very cheap on the Mac) until/unless the game really sinks its teeth in.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2011, 05:25:42 pm »

Alliance system is funny.

Played Fujiwara. Declared war on Taria, who's Allied to Tachibana and garanteed by Minamoto. I was allied to Tachibana so I used call-to-arms. The end result:
Me vs. Taria, Tachibana, Minamoto
Tachibana vs. Minamoto

So I beat Taria and vassal them. Minamoto is the alliance leader so the warscore list them as me against the two of them who is fighting.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2011, 07:34:35 pm »

Hey guise, I'm not an expert on this game, but couldn't you just unify the HRE instead? Just saiyan.

If you unify Germany, you get +1 base tax on the entire German region.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2011, 08:03:03 pm »

The best way to do it would be form Germany, conquer all of the HRE. Become emperor.

Or just be Austria, and spread glorious Habsburg PUS all over Germany, but vassalize electors. That way, you're the perma-emperor, and you get insta-cores all over the place! *Runs off to start over again with Austria.*
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2011, 06:44:21 am »

So.. what exactly is the goal of this game? And what is a good nation/objective to start with when you have no idea what you're doing?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2011, 07:29:30 am »

I never, ever had trouble with France, they always become a few province minor for me, except when I played as one.

I think from reading about it, this may be because of the version of EU? That in some versions France gets devoured by Burgundy consistently? I am playing In Nomine and am reluctant to spring for any more expansions (which are not very cheap on the Mac) until/unless the game really sinks its teeth in.

Divine Wind, my friend.

So.. what exactly is the goal of this game? And what is a good nation/objective to start with when you have no idea what you're doing?

There's no goal. Just expand and develop your country, the watch your country being the big blob occupying half a continent and get euphoria for that sole reason. Like Civilization.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 21, 2011, 08:08:47 am »

There's no goal. Just expand and develop your country, the watch your country being the big blob occupying half a continent and get euphoria for that sole reason. Like Civilization.

Ahh! That makes a lot more sense. I think one of the main reasons I couldn't understand it was because I couldn't figure out how to win :P So what is a good nation for a complete beginner?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 21, 2011, 10:01:12 am »

France, portugal, britian. And just read some strategy guides before you play them, as they need to be played in different ways.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 21, 2011, 11:09:22 am »

The achievements (if you're playing divine wind) could get you going or give you some possible ideas for goals if you want something other than "become really large and beat everyone else down in the process". They worked well for me at least although some of them are really badly designed.

But really, you can set any goals you can think of for yourself. Become leading trader or have the highest technology, unite the holy roman empire or just try to survive. There's a lot of things you could do.  :)
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:33 am »

Ahh! That makes a lot more sense. I think one of the main reasons I couldn't understand it was because I couldn't figure out how to win :P So what is a good nation for a complete beginner?
The Knights, Byzantium, Georgia.

That was sarcastic. They are some of the worst nations around to be truthful. The Knights have basically no income and their position is crap. Byzantium has the Ottomans busy trying to murder them, and we all know how that went in real life. Georgia is smack dab right in the middle of THREE HORDES. Two of them are very strong. :P

The easy ones would be:
France, portugal, britian. And just read some strategy guides before you play them, as they need to be played in different ways.
And Castle.

The ones I consider Easy-Medium (mostly based on read AARs, starting positions and how the AI preforms, but some of them are from experience) are Bavaria, Naples, Austria, Bohemia, Burgundy, Ming (China), and Milan.

But to be perfectly honest, do you REALLY want easy? It's no fun when it's easy.

Start with some random one-three province minor. So much more entertaining to make the small big, knowing what you started from. Conquering the world with France is far too easy.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 21, 2011, 11:42:18 am »

I've started my first Magna Mundi game as Portugal, though I'm not sure if I should have played vanilla a bit more. It's definitely more challenging, Portugal is easy enough since you can just buddy up with Castille and they'll leave you alone while they push Aragon around for trying to take Navarre, but the colony maintenance from having 2 colonies at the start makes income a bit of a problem. Fortunately, one of them is a few years or so off become a normal province and the other is similarly close, it just has more problems with the natives.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 21, 2011, 11:48:52 am »

Byzantium isn't all that hard to attain major power status with.  The Ottos don't have the cores to declare war right away anymore.  There are tons of delicious minors around who you can nom-nom with reconquest wars.  Yes, a stroke of bad luck can wipe you out at the start, but if you survive the start, you have tons of cores and tons of religious enemies to conquer.  I'm not saying that it's easy to recreate Justinians empire by 1452 (although it's very possible to do that.)  But it's only medium difficulty to be strong enough to protect yourself from the Ottomans.  Just remember to conquer unprotected minors and use spies to foster patriotic rebels in vassal nations with the wrong culture.  Once your strength is built up you can curb stomp the Ottomans, especially if you use the strait to your advantage.

Once you have all of Greece and Anatolia as cored, same religion and same culture, you are about as powerful as a unified France.  And you still have religious wars and missions to conquer valuable territories in Venice, Jerusalem and Alexandria.  Then the reformation comes along and screws up everyone in Europe who isn't you.

All in all, not easy for a beginner, but not all that much of a challenge to play if you are experienced.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 21, 2011, 01:34:10 pm »

How do you Call-to-Arms?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 21, 2011, 01:39:57 pm »

Be the war leader, click on the country, it should be the second option. Remember that Call To Arms later in a war is DW only.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 21, 2011, 04:07:11 pm »

How do you survive as the Mutapa? They get wiped off the map within a year or two, no matter what I try. Am I forced to sue for peace?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 194