Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 443734 times)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2595 on: November 26, 2012, 11:22:45 am »

One thing i've never understood about the scorching is that surely the AI will just move off the province? If not, they'll use the magastack you're trying to wear down to assault and control the province before any major damage is done.

scorching also reduces movement speed, so they have to stay there quite a while. moreover you can scorch multiple provinces that they'll have to go through to magnify the effect.

ive been wondering if theres synergy with the spy mission to blow up roads and reduce movement speed even further.

of course being in tropical or deep winter makes it even better too.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: November 26, 2012, 11:25:25 am »

From my experience, sometimes they do move, sometimes they don't.

And if you have a reasonable army next to theirs, they seem to rarely assault.

Of course, that could just be this 'SRI AI' that MEIOU uses.

But even if they move or assault regardless, simply moving onto the province gives attrition.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: November 26, 2012, 11:26:21 am »

Let's not forget Doom Islands like Venice. Scorch the earth and then trap the army there with a fleet. It completely wrecks the AI.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: November 26, 2012, 11:30:09 am »

Let's not forget Doom Islands like Venice. Scorch the earth and then trap the army there with a fleet. It completely wrecks the AI.
This, so much. Problem invading England? Force them to winter in the Highlands.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: November 26, 2012, 11:36:07 am »

From my experience, sometimes they do move, sometimes they don't.

I can usually do a stupid movement dance if I have stacks next to the scorched province to make them stay there for months on end. It's cheap and exploity, but the AI makes it too easy.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: November 26, 2012, 12:37:34 pm »

I remember trying to do this, but failing to do so. So either you can't or certain conditions needs to be met.

So, which spies are the best spies to use on Austria? Because some of them don't seem to be useful.Troop desertion? Incite against merchants?

Also, their war capacity has been 0 for a while so I kept pushing them. They don't seem to be running out of troops....

If you have a decent chance the stab hit one is excellent. Also useful is supporting nationalist/patriot rebellions in recently captured provinces of theirs; you'll often have 80-95% chances of success and the stacks can be brutally large. That can both wear down their manpower and draw their stacks away from the front.

But yes, you can only scorch your own provinces, at least in D&T. Doesn't mean you can't pull their stacks into your territory to do so if you have a common border.
I tried the nationalists, they only get up to 8-9 guys and its only a 70% chance. I'd be lucky just to get a stack of 30. And this is costing me over 500 gold for a set of 5 spies.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: November 26, 2012, 01:37:59 pm »

All I can think of is keep pressuring them and get bohemia to help out when the truce is over. Spam rebels right behind their lines and then hit the front with everything you have.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: November 26, 2012, 01:43:18 pm »

Rebels are only really useful if the enemy is in a major war or is bankrupt.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: November 26, 2012, 01:45:21 pm »

Or if you can block off their army with a navy.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: November 26, 2012, 02:19:29 pm »

or if you can destroy their army with your army. Rebels are a great way to weaken a country beyond what warscore allows.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: December 01, 2012, 05:47:29 am »

Okay, you have got to be kidding me...

France, who I punched around a little, managed to fall into a PU UNDER Bar. The OPM. The tiny pipsqueak.

I gave them the chance to fall under me, great Bavaria, with royal marriage offers, but no, they decided that they liked being ruled by an OPM better.

*Headdesk*

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: December 01, 2012, 06:13:59 am »

Getting France under Navarra within a few weeks of gamestart is even better :D

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: December 01, 2012, 04:32:28 pm »

They probably think they have a better chance of getting out of it against a OPM.

So, Granada.... is the only way to survive is to quickly capture territory not next to castille? Because I don't think it's possible any other way without getting stupidly lucky, like getting France as an ally right away.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: December 01, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »

play a mod where they start as a vassal :D

or i think you can take 5 loans, pray someone else DoWs castille at the start, and rush siege their capital to peace out (hopefully taking a province or two)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: December 01, 2012, 05:28:26 pm »

They probably think they have a better chance of getting out of it against a OPM.

So, Granada.... is the only way to survive is to quickly capture territory not next to castille? Because I don't think it's possible any other way without getting stupidly lucky, like getting France as an ally right away.
By abusing the Castille's combat AI you can win the war.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 194