Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 441197 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2640 on: December 15, 2012, 10:08:07 pm »

The majority of the navy upgrades are apparently in the "Diplomacy" tech while "Military" covers land units, supply lines and all that jazz.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:11:05 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: December 25, 2012, 12:20:45 pm »

EUIII is probably most interesting to me. But, I'll take more of look at the others, as well. See what style fits more.

The non-controllable battles isn't an issue. Like I said, most of the time, I just did auto resolve and had more fun doing the campaign map in Total War :P Which seems like I would be missing half the game in that lol.
I don't think you can go wrong with EU3 then. I also ended up auto-resolving most battles in Medieval after a while. And in my opinion, without the battles EU3 is the superior on in every way.

I believe EU3's the paradox game that works most like the total war series. Crusader kings focuses a lot on the characters and staying in power, Hearts of iron is world war II over and over and while Victoria has a lot of things going on you generally don't see huge changes to how it plays out.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: December 25, 2012, 01:16:37 pm »

I've always found the tech cost x number of provinces rate to be extremely annoying in the early game (first 200 years or so)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: December 28, 2012, 05:55:05 am »

So I finally got D&T, and I've played to the point of boredom (obvious world domination, no real threats left) as Austria and Holland. I think I've got the hang of the game, but I'm trying to play a Muscowy->Russia game, and I can't seem to beat the Golden Horde. the best I've done so far is to force the release of a 2 province minor and take 25 ducats. I seem to need at least 1.5-2x their troops to win a battle, and they always have more troops than me in total. I attacked during their last succession crisis, and that is the only reason I got that minor released. Other than that I've only pulled out white peaces and concessions of defeat.

I've united the Russia minors, and Novgorod, but I don't have enough cores to from Russia yet, IIRC you basically have to hold and have cores on all of Russia before you can form Russia.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: December 28, 2012, 06:00:52 am »

Oh, goddamnit. My MEIOU Lithuania game was going so well, but... every time I hit April 15, 1388, crash. I tried switching countries and such, but still crashes. I just got Novgorod and Hungary as allies, at long last, and was set on gobbling up the Teutons and the Livonian Order, but... crashcrashcrash. Is it possible to switch the date in the savefile somehow (if that would even help)?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: December 28, 2012, 06:21:44 am »

So I finally got D&T, and I've played to the point of boredom (obvious world domination, no real threats left) as Austria and Holland. I think I've got the hang of the game, but I'm trying to play a Muscowy->Russia game, and I can't seem to beat the Golden Horde. the best I've done so far is to force the release of a 2 province minor and take 25 ducats. I seem to need at least 1.5-2x their troops to win a battle, and they always have more troops than me in total. I attacked during their last succession crisis, and that is the only reason I got that minor released. Other than that I've only pulled out white peaces and concessions of defeat.

I've united the Russia minors, and Novgorod, but I don't have enough cores to from Russia yet, IIRC you basically have to hold and have cores on all of Russia before you can form Russia.

im playing russia in the mp game thats running at the moment, and if you take all of lithuania's russian lands you should only need 3 or 4 GH cores to form russia iirc. then you can reconquest all the other russian cores from GH

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: December 28, 2012, 06:36:08 am »

Oh, goddamnit. My MEIOU Lithuania game was going so well, but... every time I hit April 15, 1388, crash. I tried switching countries and such, but still crashes. I just got Novgorod and Hungary as allies, at long last, and was set on gobbling up the Teutons and the Livonian Order, but... crashcrashcrash. Is it possible to switch the date in the savefile somehow (if that would even help)?
Out of curiosity, what version of MEIOU are you using (including any further modifications), and have you tried even earlier savegames to see if they crash?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: December 28, 2012, 07:00:25 am »

The latest downloaded from this thread, no additional add-ons or mods. I tried savegames from the same year and the year before, haven't gone further back yet.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: December 28, 2012, 07:27:24 am »

No hotfixes either? Have you applied the 4gb fix? Did you follow all the instructions when you downloaded it?

And I think you should definitely try going back further.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: December 28, 2012, 12:33:01 pm »

I'm trying to play a Muscowy->Russia game, and I can't seem to beat the Golden Horde.minor released. Other than that I've only pulled out white peaces and concessions of defeat.

You might just have to focus on land tech for 30 years and get better units before you'll be able to take them on, but the standard array of tactics against the AI will still work: luring their armies onto scorched provinces and such.

From what I remember from my last Muscowy game, there was a definite tipping point where the horde went from unstoppable to slowly being occupied by me in a unending 100+ year war. I imagine it's precise location depends on one's land tech/military ideas/whether or not the horde is engulfed in war with MegaPoland, and so on,
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: December 28, 2012, 01:14:55 pm »

A Muscowy early game consists of paying tribute to the horde, gobbling up the small Russian principalities and trying to become more powerful than Novgorod. When the Horde is in a disadvantageous position, strike. Eventually you'll reach the tipping point where it's no longer an uphill battle - you'll consume the remnants of Novgorod if you haven't already, and then just overwhelm the horde. Then it's just 100 years of supressing rebels and slowly colonizing horde land. After that?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: December 31, 2012, 11:34:43 pm »

Actually the first war I fought after that resulted in the Horde losing and now they are no more. I finally have a King I can westernize with, and colonization of Siberia is finally begun. Kartids are annoying as hell though.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: January 01, 2013, 12:19:41 am »

My first In Nomine game (as Lithuania) involved a lot of crushing defeats against the Horde, but I've never had trouble with them in DW.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: January 06, 2013, 10:12:02 am »

if anyone wants in on a MP game, lukew, the creator of the death&taxes mod, is running one here

I'd join but we already have one up and I dont have time.

Also I dont know if I mentioned it in this thread, but some of us are thinking about an eu4 game on release.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: January 06, 2013, 12:14:14 pm »

Also I dont know if I mentioned it in this thread, but some of us are thinking about an eu4 game on release.

I'd be up for it, would be nice to play with everyone still new to the game.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 194