Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 443697 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2716 on: January 22, 2013, 07:05:44 pm »

Don't they get clobbered by not-yet-spain nearly immediately?

Yep, right off the bat, declaration of war and a stack of 20 on you.

Chimnu? I don't recall them. Are they in the complete edition?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: January 23, 2013, 09:55:01 am »

Woot. Free copy of EUIII: Chronicles in my email. Guess I'll offer it to my roomie, since he's expressed some mild interest in the Paradox lineup. Plus, once I get my system back up and running we could play MP.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:21 am »

Don't they get clobbered by not-yet-spain nearly immediately?

Yep, right off the bat, declaration of war and a stack of 20 on you.

Chimnu? I don't recall them. Are they in the complete edition?

It's a opm bordering inca. Inca always annexes them at game start.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: January 23, 2013, 10:59:34 am »

O, well can't you just abuse the seize province button?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: January 23, 2013, 11:15:05 am »

Holy sheit, just got that EU3 thanks to subscribing their newsteller.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: January 25, 2013, 04:04:26 pm »

A bit rude to  ask, but does anyone have a spare EUIII Chronicle key?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: January 25, 2013, 04:05:29 pm »

I haven't done anything with my free one yet. Is it for a good cause?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: January 25, 2013, 04:10:45 pm »

Well I don't intend to use it for a charity or help a terminally ill patient, so no.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: January 26, 2013, 04:10:03 pm »

So, I just got this game, and I was wondering if you guys have some tips for me.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: January 26, 2013, 05:05:52 pm »

When you're choosing a country, you should first go to options and turn inflation off. The other changes are optional, but when you're first starting out it's a bitch to manage inflation while you're trying to figure out all the rest of the game. As for your first country, I'd suggest either Castille, France, Burgundy, or England.

Castille (Located at present-day Spain) is just across the water from North Africa, and once you sweep Granada from your south border (they only have four provinces and your first mission always seems to be to grab those) it proves to be a nice staging ground for taking African territories, which have trade resources you won't find in Europe (notably ivory and slaves).  France is good because, as mentioned before, it gets you used to the whole idea of vassals and diploannexation (that is, diplomatically annexing a country, as opposed to doing it through war). They're also nice and big to start off with. However you will inevitably have to fight the English and most likely Burgundy as well. Burgundy, my personal favorite, isn't as large as France, but has the added benefit of being a member of the Holy Roman Empire while bordering non-HRE France. The importance of this is HRE cannot hold territories that they have no core on without getting a negative trait dealy. I think it raises your infamy (also called BadBoys, or BB). But as France is not a member of the HRE, you can expand west all you want. You can also try to become Holy Roman Emperor and learn your way around that. Lastly is England. In the beginning their large navy and island status make them practically untouchable, and your territories on mainland Europe mean you can create troops in preparation for war with France or Burgundy without worrying about ferrying troops immediately. They also tend to have the easy missions of taking over Ireland and Scotland (though the Scots will put up a good fight) and forming Great Britain.

Each of those four has a distinctly different feel and I'd suggest having a go as all four and learning what they have to offer before expanding your horizons.

When you aren't at war, drop your Land troop maintenance slider down. You'll save a good bit of money during peace time if you have a larger army. Put it back up if you expect war is on the horizon. Which, unless you've been doing nothing but making friends, won't be too far off.

Always try to keep your Stability (Stab) at +3. You'll have more ducats to work with as well as less revolt risk and a large number of other bonuses. I start off my games putting all my moneys into Stab before I go for Gov't.

Some people don't like this method, but I prefer to focus all my moneys on one tech. While you'll lag behind a bit in other areas, you'll be able to catch up. Especially if you hire advisers that give a bonus to your various researches.

Once your Stab is +3 you should get Government to 4. National Ideas (NI) provide excellent benefits to you for no cost other than putting time into Government Tech.

I don't hire an adviser that boosts Colonial Range until I have the Quest for the New World (QftNW) NI. I can nab African coasts in wartime and in 50 years they'll core if I don't already have a Casus Belli (CB) that gives me a core on a province, so I'll have the ability to colonize the African provinces in that time.

Remember to calculate the cost of an adviser and compare it to the benefit they provide. A few low level advisers will do nothing but eat your ducats and hand you their money laden poop.

I tend to join a Trade League. The three I know of are The Hansa, Venice, and Milan.

Don't be stingy. If you're in a war and there's a few too many nations biting at your heels, be willing to throw a few ducats at some of the minor partners to get them to tits off.

Until your Tech levels allow you to construct buildings, you should use your magistrates to build your culture. A high culture (and, if they require it, Army or Navy...uh...shit, what's it called? Whatever, go to the culture page deal and you'll see it) will let you recruit better advisers. 100% culture is a great way to make 5 and 6 star advisers available.

Now I'm no expert at this game, so I may be telling you some bad advice. But experiment and have fun nonetheless! Oh god text wall.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: January 26, 2013, 06:11:23 pm »

I disagree with turning inflation off, I never had trouble with it when learning the ropes. Other than that, I more or less agree with Man of Paper. Especially the bit about keeping stability at +3. And you'll probably want to learn the game with a Western European nation since anything else puts you to an inferior tech group which will bite you in the ass if you don't know how to westernize.

Always move your sliders when you can do so. The ones that improve tech are good, centralization is very good, but bear in mind that slider changes can often spawn some rebel armies (usually nothing you can't handle, but good to keep in mind nonetheless).

I recommend you to glance through this Something Awful LP of Castille as it contains of lot of good to know basics relevant for a new player.

If you're not the type who likes to read a ton about a game before diving in, just pick France or Castille and start playing. Both start reasonaby strong with lots of opportunities and good national missions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: January 26, 2013, 06:16:46 pm »

Just note that if you play France, don't know how to diploannex, and invade at a pace that's even a little too high, you're going to have bloody near all of Europe stomping on you. Story of my first campaign.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: January 26, 2013, 07:05:31 pm »

Was free EUIII just for paradox newsletter subscribers?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: January 26, 2013, 07:43:32 pm »

I believe so, yes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 194