Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 443835 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2880 on: August 16, 2013, 06:52:11 am »

Yeah it's not when the boats move but more like almost every day. I've learned to live with it and just not move the camera as much. Messing with the textures did nothing. I was mostly shocked as to why it suddenly changed.

So.... How close is EU4 to EU3?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: August 16, 2013, 11:54:33 am »

Very similar. You have more interwoven resources (spies = diplos, badboy = overextension/overaggressive modifiers, sliders = NI's) a much improved trade system, and a switch from mostly RNG-based system to "this will take X months" system of diploannex, espionage, converting, etc. Some other game changers like no minting and all income being monthly instead of monthly + annually, etc.

Everything else is mostly small tweaks. I do miss the sliders (since with NI's it's mostly all-or-nothing, i.e you cant be "slightly" aristocratic, you just pick up as many aristocratic ideas as you can), some of the events need toning down, and you're going to miss out on a lot of content that a modded EU3 had to offer until mods of similar scope start popping up.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: August 16, 2013, 12:24:05 pm »

and you're going to miss out on a lot of content that a modded EU3 had to offer until mods of similar scope start popping up.
A lot of modders are already modding EU4, which actually worries me. I sort of doubt they will play EU4 vanilla enough to really know what needs tweaking and what not, and instead will just copy paste the old EU3 mods.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: August 16, 2013, 12:49:57 pm »

So.... How close is EU4 to EU3?
In the overarching feel and style of play? Decently similar. However, it does have enough small and medium changes that the game does indeed play quite a bit differently while still playing similarly.

and you're going to miss out on a lot of content that a modded EU3 had to offer until mods of similar scope start popping up.
A lot of modders are already modding EU4, which actually worries me. I sort of doubt they will play EU4 vanilla enough to really know what needs tweaking and what not, and instead will just copy paste the old EU3 mods.
But once they're done pasting, they'll then find out what does and does not work for their mod, and then fix it. And even if they don't play vanilla enough, certainly there will be others who will play vanilla. I'm not worried at all.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: August 16, 2013, 01:47:28 pm »

Well, worried might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I just don't like the rush :/

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: August 16, 2013, 02:47:16 pm »

Well, worried might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I just don't like the rush :/
Well, if it helps, this kind of thing happens often in the early days of a new release, but it rarely pans out.  When Victoria 2 came out, there was talk of porting VIP over, but that project has effectively been dead for quite some time.  AGC-EEP went to For the Glory instead of Europa Universalis 3, and the IGC likewise never really made it to Europa Universalis 2 (though to be fair, one of its biggest features -the ability to pick nations outside the majors- was made irrelevant).  DVIP didn't even try to make the transition from Crusader Kings 1 to 2, but I think it was an exception in that regard. 

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: August 16, 2013, 02:50:06 pm »

I was kind of amused to discover, the day after release, 3 different "balance improvement" mods on the paradox forums.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: September 13, 2013, 03:15:28 am »

Germany is more fun then becoming the HRE in my view
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2888 on: September 13, 2013, 08:00:41 am »

Skip the the HRE. Even if you go Germany, you'll still be the HRE when you steal everyone's shit.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: September 13, 2013, 01:38:49 pm »

I hate AI Austria. They just don't take attrition even when they have a 200+ army stacked in one spot. I've tested this by luring them all to Venice and trapping them with ships.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: September 15, 2013, 01:25:57 pm »

Still too poor for EUIV, so I'm tooling around here in MEIOU. Just started a new game as Oda (Japanese OPM). Managed to grab five more provinces in <15 years, even cored one of them with an event. BB is through the roof, naturally, but everyone else is so busy fighting that I haven't been attacked. Better still, I just PUed 2-province Date when their ruler died with me as the only marriage contract (with my own 11 yo heir being guided by a regency council, to boot). Once I integrate and core those two provinces I should be able to nab OPM Takeda and their expansionist ally in a vice, then take out Nanbu sometime down the road. The two major powers in south Japan have been brutalizing each other, and I've been keeping the war balanced with nationalist rebels.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:30:16 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: September 15, 2013, 03:03:28 pm »

Also still in EUIII land, I'm trying to form the HRE as Great Britain (because why not?). I've managed the first 3 imperial reforms, but it's already 1600 (the loser emperors before me were utterly incapable of getting shit done, partly because of me always stomping them on my pokequest for all the electors). The problem is that I've kind of run out of things to do for authority; everyone's catholic, all large powers in the empire are PU'd/vassals, I've liberated most of the dumb one-province kingdoms (bill of rights is so nice), and "liberated" (stolen) all of the imperial lands held by nonmembers.

Is there anywhere to go past this point other than converting religions and reimposing it? Half the HRE is in a PU with me, so that relations hit would take ages to recover from. I could just wait for the imperialism CB and go nuts, but I like the idea of forming it as Britain.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: September 15, 2013, 04:14:05 pm »

It's in the localization files. Just file search for 'emir' or something to find the correct file/place.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: September 15, 2013, 04:42:37 pm »

Oh wow, apparently you can liberate the same two nations over and over again from itself, if they both have all inclusive cores. Infinite authority ahoy!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: September 15, 2013, 04:56:26 pm »

I don't think it work, but I might be wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194