Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 443188 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2011, 10:08:13 pm »

Ok another question.... Why is my prestige dropping for no reason? I have not declined any call to arms. In fact I just accepted one.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2011, 10:46:08 pm »

What causes people to trade through your CoT?
Besides the obvious Trade League (Note, this is per province):

1: Them having no CoT for themselves and yours being the closest not-theirs CoT.
2: Them having a CoT for themselves BUT your CoT is very close to their provinces.

Not sure about what else. I think they might avoid trading with people they don't like, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I believe reputation IS a factor. Though I believe it's some combined element of reputation and distance, since I've seen nations that hate my guts still use my CoTs since they're very close.

Difficult to draw any hard conclusions though. But I've noticed some of my CoTs slowly gaining provinces around them from other nations, typically ones that like me that used to trade elsewhere.

Of course, embargoing/being embargoed has an effect too. Prevents that nation from joining your CoTs either way.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2011, 05:02:42 am »

So, it turns out that unless you build your armies right, the game hates you if you go for quality > quantity...

That's about an 11:1 kill ratio.

So after a quick chat on the paradox forums, and after much conversation about the various unit stat values, it boils down to "small army => high defence". Putting that to the test I get this:

81:1 kill ratio :P

Also, according to the Paradoxians, that Corsica (the guys who thrashed me in the first pic) isn't dead so late-game (~1700) is surprising. That it's a colonial super-power owning most of South America, W Africa and Northern Iberia is unheard-of :P
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2011, 05:08:32 am »

So, in a single sentence, how would you summarise Europa Universalis?  Also, would you recommend it to a guy like me?  I think I asked this question before, but anyway, would this be a good game for someone who looks Victoria 2 and other country management games? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2011, 05:29:53 am »

So, in a single sentence, how would you summarise Europa Universalis?  Also, would you recommend it to a guy like me?  I think I asked this question before, but anyway, would this be a good game for someone who looks Victoria 2 and other country management games?

Yes. If you like Vic2, HoI 2/3, you will like EU3.  They all run off the same engine, and they're all very similar, but each with their own....focus I suppose (HoI - war/fighting, Vic2 - Trading and imperialism, Eu3 - somewhere in between). It's buggy, it can be infuriating, but that's part of the Paradox package. Get EU3 with all the expansion packs (I know steam is doing a Paradox deal thing over the next five days or so, good chance the EU series will appear on one) and when you next emerge from your house you will find out you've been declared legally-dead.
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2011, 05:58:36 am »

EU3 is the ability to go back in time and decide what decisions to make for a country, and allow you to rewrite history.

And in writing that, I had an interesting idea. Keep switching between countries until you have divided up the world between your 2 favorite countries, then pick one and declare war >:)

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2011, 02:54:40 pm »

How should I proceed to dismantle the HRE? Half of the empire is either a vassal or in a PU. All electors, except Bohemia, are my vassals and wouldn't vote for anyone else even if they weren't. At this point, I am limited in my imperial authority because Austria is defender of the protestant faith and half the nations in the HRE are protestant. If I attack them, Austria turns against me; which is odd considering their king is... me. So, how could I dismantle the empire? I'm tired of gaining infamy for owning provinces that are rightfully (Yeah right!) mine.

I achieved my goal a bit earlier than expected by breaking apart France in 2 successives wars: I broke a truce for the first time ever to make sure France could not recover. So now, the HRE has served its purpose  :P  Although I guess I could send my pet nations against the Ottomans since they completely annihilated the GH and have thus become a HUGE green blob.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2011, 03:24:30 pm »

I believe if the number of "princes" (I think there were 13 or something) drops to a certain amount (I think 9), the HRE stops. Can't remember where I read it though.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2011, 04:10:47 pm »

no, you need to vassalize all electors and the emperor. The number of states in the HRE has no effect on its existence, except obviously when there are none.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2011, 04:28:21 pm »

no, you need to vassalize all electors and the emperor. The number of states in the HRE has no effect on its existence, except obviously when there are none.

I'm the emperor, can't vassalize myself :(

I guess I'll either have to aim for the formation of the Holy Roman Empire (quite far from that in terms of reforms) or get as much cores as I can, abdicate the throne (switching to republic or something) and just leave the HRE. I kinda like being Holland Netherlands, so I'll go for the latter as soon as I herit of Austria and Baden. Nations that aren't part of the HRE don't gain infamy from owning unlawful provinces right?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2011, 05:46:36 pm »

Vassalize all electors and occupy the capital of the current emperor, then in the HRE window you can dismantle the HRE.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2011, 06:16:06 pm »

So basically, I can't do a thing while I'm the emperor. Trying to let another nation take the throne to dismantle the HRE isn't a possibility right now. There is no way I could lose a vote because all electors except Bohemia are my vassals. Some of the electors have, as a second choice, Trier... seriously, Trier??

I guess I'll just ignore the HRE until Austria is mine, then I will at least be able to attack protestants without getting into a massive civil war with myself  ::)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2011, 07:04:55 pm »

you just said that Bohemia, an elector, isn't your vassal.

Previous posts said that ALL electors must be vassals.

before you can disband the empire, grab the last free elector. Even if he votes for you.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2011, 07:35:46 pm »

you just said that Bohemia, an elector, isn't your vassal.

Previous posts said that ALL electors must be vassals.

before you can disband the empire, grab the last free elector. Even if he votes for you.

That's besides the point.

Vassalize all electors and occupy the capital of the current emperor, then in the HRE window you can dismantle the HRE.

I can't very well "occupy" my own capital.

I can't vassalize myself either.

Further more, the "Dismantle HRE" button in my game is greyed out with the tooltip saying "You can not dismantle the empire if you are the current emperor". So apparently as long as I am the emperor, I can not dismantle the HRE. And trying to let someone else take the throne would be too much trouble. It would requires to either release electors (and then forcing vassalization on them again...), insult the shit out of everyone for the next years or switching to a government that can't be elected, but that might jeopardize my current PU... or not, IDK.

Anyway, it's not really a problem. I will just focus on the other nations outside the HRE. England Great Britain is ripe for a beating. Spain annexed Flanders (got core, do want) right under my nose while I was fighting France. Ottomans really need to be stopped. North American nations are begging to be annexed. My ships have started exploring the Indian Ocean, thus opening brand new opportunities. It's not like being stuck with the HRE is a burden on my progress, it's merely an annoyance.

Edit: Wooo! I'm playing at the same time I was writing this. Fought and won a first war against GB (started by Denmark sadly, so nothing gained), but more importantly: my king died, all hail the king! Inherited Baden, a 6 provinces nation, and Austria, a 17 badass nation.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:45:06 pm by alexwazer »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 19, 2011, 09:44:38 am »

By "occupy" it means "have under control".
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 194