Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 441167 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2011, 12:33:36 pm »

By "occupy" it means "have under control".
But you can't dismantle the empire as the emperor.
At least, a tooltip says that when hovering your mouse over the dismantle button as the emperor.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2011, 12:41:45 pm »

Then doesnt that make you one of the voters? Can't you tell everyone to vote for someone else?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2011, 02:43:42 pm »

Steps to dismantling the HRE:

1. Vassalize as many electors as you can without getting in shit.
2. Become emperor.
3. Vassalize all remaining electors.
4. Insult the crap out of them until they vote for someone else. (You may have to cheat yourself more INFAMY to get them to vote for someone else.)
5. Kill your monarch.
6. Declare war on new emperor.
7. March to his capital and assault it until you control it.
8.Click dismantle HRE.
9. ???
10. Profit!

I know this works because it is exactly how I dismantled the HRE.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2011, 03:06:22 pm »

Man, I own this game and all it's expansions (obscenely good sale on Steam) but I just cannot get to grips with it. Such a shame :(
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 19, 2011, 03:07:40 pm »

Man, I own this game and all it's expansions (obscenely good sale on Steam) but I just cannot get to grips with it. Such a shame :(

What's your problem with it? I'm sure we can help you :)
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 19, 2011, 03:11:46 pm »

What's your problem with it? I'm sure we can help you :)

It's a Paradox game :P I've always had horrible trouble getting to grips with Paradox games like EU and HoI. I don't know why, since I take to DF like a fish to water and I can even semi-play Aurora, but Paradox grand strategy games still mystify me :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 19, 2011, 03:18:32 pm »

I find EUIII to be quite simple to understand. I mean, for small empires, you really don't have to manage anything but your expenses. And even then, all that is making sure you spend less then you gain every year.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 19, 2011, 03:35:08 pm »

One thing I can say Chattox is to not let yourself be stopped by the early game. When you start in 1399, income, troops quality, supply limits and basically everything else makes the game harder to handle. As the time passes, it usually becomes easier to manage.

Steps to dismantling the HRE:
4. Insult the crap out of them until they vote for someone else. (You may have to cheat yourself more INFAMY to get them to vote for someone

That would be my next step, but I really don't feel like wasting my diplomats on insulting my vassals for the next 5 years or so. I'll probably focus on the outside world for a while. Once I start conquering a few other nations left and right, my infamy should be enough to lower my relations with my vassals and make them vote for someone else... eventually. I already got some of the best provinces in the HRE: Netherlands, part of Northern Italy, Austria and most of its neighbours. All of them cored thanks to inheritance and Imperial Ban CB. Being able to conquer the remaining nations of the HRE without gaining yearly infamy is not that important right now. I only have 3 unlawful provinces at this point; I can deal with the infamy gain from those.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 19, 2011, 03:52:09 pm »

Hey guise, I'm not an expert on this game, but couldn't you just unify the HRE instead? Just saiyan.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 19, 2011, 03:56:04 pm »

Yeah, I have trouble with it too. Mostly, dealing with @#$% France, which is like playing a Civ game on Noble, except for one AI which is on Immortal. I am trying a run with lucky nations off to see how that looks. It's not just that they can run over all their nearby rivals plus Aragon, it's that they're at +3 stability a year later. What am I supposed to do about that, other than play as them?

Also, I'm not sure I'm any good at teching, and can't find a good noob's guide to not being behind all of your neighbors. :P

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 19, 2011, 04:03:10 pm »

It would be possible, but that would take forever. You need to enact every reforms in order. I only have 2 so far. For every reform, you need 50 Imperial authority, which you get from baby-sitting the HRE: stop them from fighting between themselves, make sure none is annexed, help the lost sheeps (protestants, reformed) to find the True Path, etc. As far as I'm concerned, that's boring. Plus, your nation become the Holy Roman Empire, bt I prefer being Netherlands... just because.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2011, 06:53:18 pm »

Hey guise, I'm not an expert on this game, but couldn't you just unify the HRE instead? Just saiyan.

Done that too; it's a pain in the ass to do. Especially with the new patch, my reforms never seem to pass anymore. I vassalized the entire fucking HRE, and the bastards still voted against it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38:46 pm »

Vassals seem to be incredibly disagreeable in general. It always makes me wonder if 200 is the actual relations limit.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2011, 10:39:20 pm »

I never have trouble getting imperial authority myself.  It's getting good enough relations with the member states to have them support reforms when I'm playing as an orthodox nation that I find tricky.  But playing as a catholic nation, you can unite the empire in 30-50 years pretty easily.  Nice to do that before the reformation starts.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 20, 2011, 07:19:31 am »

Yeah, I have trouble with it too. Mostly, dealing with @#$% France

I never, ever had trouble with France, they always become a few province minor for me, except when I played as one.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 194