Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "You've found some small creatures" ... Now what?  (Read 5547 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
"You've found some small creatures" ... Now what?
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:03:10 pm »

Sorry, I've read several posts mentioning doing things with the 'small creatures' you find by pressing Shift+L , but could someone explain to a complete adventure newbie how this is done? 
I walk around, press Shift+L, it says:
"You've found some small creatures"

I check and they are not automatically put into my inventory.

I try pressing 'g' to pick something up, it says "there is nothing to pick up here."

I try pressing Shift+A to attack something, nothing.  Same for wrestling.

I look around the window, are the 'small creatures' somewhere else on my screen?  Hiding behind trees? 

Is there any way to interact with them or are they etherial spectres meant only to distract me? 

I was hoping to butcher something for meat today....

Thanks in advance!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: "You've found some small creatures" ... Now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:11:07 pm »

The small creatures are vermin.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 03:15:43 pm »

Their vermin, they aren't always directly under you but if your quick enough you can snap a few up. You can sell them or throw them at bronze collosi.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 03:24:42 pm »

OK, so does this mean, assuming I had a higher "Agility," I could use the 'g' button to pick them up from the same tile I'm "L"ooked from?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 03:53:02 pm »

OK, so does this mean, assuming I had a higher "Agility," I could use the 'g' button to pick them up from the same tile I'm "L"ooked from?

They usually appear around you, they were never on your tile to begin with. They aren't exactly fast and they don't seem to run from you so the only reason you should have any trouble catching them is because they frequently switch between being visible and invisible, the same as in fortress mode.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 06:06:04 pm »

there are some that aren't 'L'ooked for but show up anyways like grackles and dragon flys they are hard to catch cus they fly but from what i'v seen catching them is pointless, cant sell em unless you cage em and cant cage em unless you find a cage in a camp or your abandoned forts, i guess you could catch em just cus you feel like it.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 07:07:26 pm »

Ah, okay, I think I see them now.  I think the 'invisible/visible switch' was tricky, as well as realising a lot of them just use a ' . ' for a sprite so I didn't realise they were there.  Now I caught some beetles!  Thanks!

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:24:18 pm »

nevermind,
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 03:47:28 am »

You can also try to eat them, and the game will tell you "No. That's disgusting." Same if you try to eat vomit (from anything.)

Pretty sure it won't have a problem if you eat Thrips Man Ichor, oddly enough. o_o

Also, yes. Throw them at colossi and decapitate them.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 09:16:38 am »

You can also try to eat them, and the game will tell you "No. That's disgusting." Same if you try to eat vomit (from anything.)

Pretty sure it won't have a problem if you eat Thrips Man Ichor, oddly enough. o_o

Also, yes. Throw them at colossi and decapitate them.
The mechanics of throwing were changed for this version (or possibly the last version - definitely since the legend you allude to), so all objects are thrown at the same velocity.  As a consequence, tiny things no longer make good throwing weapons.  Now the best throwing weapon is the heaviest thing you can carry.

I also believe you can eat vermin (and definitely corpses of sentients) if you are starving.  In dwarf mode the dwarves will try to catch vermin if they are starving...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:13:49 am »

The mechanics of throwing were changed for this version (or possibly the last version - definitely since the legend you allude to), so all objects are thrown at the same velocity.  As a consequence, tiny things no longer make good throwing weapons.  Now the best throwing weapon is the heaviest thing you can carry.
Actually, the "bronze colossus decapitated by fluffy wambler" event happened in version 0.31, which is after the supposed change to throwing.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 02:50:19 pm »

I also believe you can eat vermin (and definitely corpses of sentients) if you are starving.
Through some science (namely Anorexia: The Game), I conclude this as fact;

Though do note that to actually get there as an adventurer, we aren't talking about missing food for two-three days, this was on a small, thin character - and this took at least seven days or so.
So long story short, don't carry a lot of meat on you, it's not really necessary. (It's definitely more important spending that weight on water. Because even 2x 24-Hours kicks you to Dehydrated.)

Edit: I didn't succumb to starvation even after a week of starving. I wonder how long it'd take to die.
EditEdit: Dying of thirst occurs a couple of days after getting dehydrated.
My guess is that the only way this might ever happen is travelling through a huge glacier area. Though at that point you'd usually be smart enough to almost surround yourself with campfires to get your water drinkable again.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:35:09 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11:18 pm »

Use them as throwing weapons.
Unf.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:58 am »

I also believe you can eat vermin (and definitely corpses of sentients) if you are starving.
Through some science (namely Anorexia: The Game), I conclude this as fact;

Though do note that to actually get there as an adventurer, we aren't talking about missing food for two-three days, this was on a small, thin character - and this took at least seven days or so.
So long story short, don't carry a lot of meat on you, it's not really necessary. (It's definitely more important spending that weight on water. Because even 2x 24-Hours kicks you to Dehydrated.)

Edit: I didn't succumb to starvation even after a week of starving. I wonder how long it'd take to die.
EditEdit: Dying of thirst occurs a couple of days after getting dehydrated.
My guess is that the only way this might ever happen is travelling through a huge glacier area. Though at that point you'd usually be smart enough to almost surround yourself with campfires to get your water drinkable again.

What graphics pack?

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 09:47:49 am »

That's the ASCII+ pack as it's called in the Masterwork menu, no idea about where it is or if that's its name.

oh_no