Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Cleaning Jobs  (Read 7990 times)

Ruggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Cleaning Jobs
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:31:00 am »

My fortress (and dwarves and puppies) are covered in splatters of blood.  However, the odd part is that it's been over a year (plus rainfall) and none of the blood splatters are dissolving.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Cleaning Jobs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:17:00 am »

I've also noticed this. My Beautiful Hardwood flooring has been red for years. Bump for great justice.

Saktoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:31:00 am »

Mud is the same, all it takes is one little flood in a high traffic area and you're whole fortress will go brown.

Ruggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 07:02:00 am »

Not sure, but could this also be increasing the lag by a large quantity?  I'm assuming each splatter of blood increases the cpu load minutely, and while this isn't an issue under normal conditions, it can be when the blood is tracked all over and covers each body part of all animals and dwarves.

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 07:25:00 am »

Mmm, it does seem to be a little bit silly in this version. I had a dwarf fall into a channel while digging. He pulled himself out and got a tiny bit of mud on the ground. Later on, the hallway became much busier, and I found that the dwarves had managed to spread this tiny starting amount of mud all the way up and down the hall. I know cleaning is supposed to be a low priority task, but at the moment it doesn't seem to get done at all. I set a peasant with all tasks but cleaning turned off, and he refused to clean up the mess.

Saktoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 07:37:00 am »

By the stage my fortress gets muddy, i usually have several dozen idle peasants just milling around.

They wont clean.

To make matters worse, they'll still spam 'Canceled Job: Clean, could not reach destination' when i flood an area.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 08:09:00 am »

Not only do they track the mud everywhere, but it's thick enough for farming. Tower caps will grow in it, too.

You don't want this mud to be cleanable, because it's the same mud you use for underground farming. You don't want the maid to go and clean all the mud out of your farms!

I'm sure Toady will think of a good way to fix this that preserves the fun of Dwarves spreading mud when they walk, but makes it so it doesn't take over the entire fortress.

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 07:53:00 am »

Maybe new activity zones are in order?

[Don't Clean]
[Wipe Your Feet]

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

Yeah, I noticed this too.  I'm building a guard tower around the entrance of my mountain castle and had a rn in with a couple of kobolds near the beginning of construction.  Now the tower is red, as is the surrounding grass, rock, tress and shrubs.  However, interesting note, the first level of my "castle" (sand) and all of the above-ground sand is still yellow and the blood hasn't spread any deeper into the fortress.  It just covers every available surface of the tower and surrounding countryside. Kinda funny.  :p
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Seupsut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »

3 years later and the same problem persists. Seems to me just adding a new (d)esignation option of "clean" or "remove mud" would solve the problem.

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 02:00:39 am »

I've noticed this A LOT.  I've almost painted entire fortresses and surrounding areas in blood, mud, and dust.  It gets ridiculous.  I think the main issue is that there is no degradation of the sources of grime when it is spread and also no terminal state for grime.

There's different levels of grime, but it doesn't seem that the amount they get spread demotes the source by any amount.  A pool of blood stays a pool of blood, despite the amount that has been spread from it.  I think a implementing some of the fluid dynamics for water would help out.  The dynamics would be very similar.  The only difference instead of grime spreading automatically, like levels of water do, just have it spread when something walks through and decides the direction to spread to.

Also grime should have a terminal point.  This is similar to the evaporation of water.  When any grime reaches the lowest state and enough things have walked on it, the grime disappears.  Mud, dust, and blood can get trampled and dissipated if enough people walk through it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:51:14 am »

I like this:
The only difference instead of grime spreading automatically, like levels of water do, just have it spread when something walks through and decides the direction to spread to.

but not this:
Also grime should have a terminal point.  This is similar to the evaporation of water.  When any grime reaches the lowest state and enough things have walked on it, the grime disappears.  Mud, dust, and blood can get trampled and dissipated if enough people walk through it.

I also like the designation suggestion.

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 01:46:26 pm »

I like this:
The only difference instead of grime spreading automatically, like levels of water do, just have it spread when something walks through and decides the direction to spread to.

but not this:

You really have to have both to have a good fix.  The main issue is that there should be a terminal point where a level of grime cannot be a source for spreading anymore.  A dusting of mud cannot spread another dusting to another square.  There just isn't enough there. A dusting of mud and dust when trampled and walked through enough will eventually get worn down so much, it just doesn't exist in enough of a concentration to be significant.  Blood eventually dries out and becomes like mud and dust over time.  Eventually, it all decays and is worn away.

Nakanja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 06:31:27 pm »

My fort had so much vomit that I turned off every other labor but cleaning on every dwarf.  I've got about 10 (out of 115) dwarves cleaning at a time.   It seems to be doing the trick, but slowly.  Hopefully they finish before the food & booze runs out.

bloodsplosion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 10:13:46 pm »

My dwarfs are tracking around one giant multisplatter. It contains about 50 distinct bloodsplatters which are always tracked around at the same time.  The nasty part is the forgotten beast frozen extract, which seems to kill anything that gets it on bare feet, especially tame tigermen and dwarf children.  This caused a massive die-off of my tame animal menagerie and devastated the child population. I have taken to building and removing constructed floors on top the multisplatter to destroy it, but I think that it is hiding on someone's shoes. It is like dwarf-ebola, spread by contact and makes them bleed to death without wounds.