Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF tileset  (Read 1922 times)

colorthemap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF tileset
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:03:46 pm »

This is a question for the devs(or someone who knows)  So i have been wanting to make a rougelike game.  But I have major art issues, so is there a license on the df tileset?  Can it be used freely?  Or is that not allowed?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF tileset
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:08:40 pm »

Which tileset? The default one is, as far as I know, based on some common font or another.

If you're making a roguelike, you're quite possibly better off using actual text/console output unless you have a good reason why not.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:33 pm »

deleted for lack of reading comprehension
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:24:31 pm by Weary Exile »
It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:31:25 pm »

The standard DF "tileset" is just CP437, I think. You're fine.
Roguelikes generally use ASCII or some variant of it. As G-Flex said, actual text would probably be better than tiles.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:04:24 pm »

This doesn't make any sense. Codepage 437 is a character set, not a typeface, font, or set of tiles. It's a table of characters, and in no way specifies what those characters look like specifically.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:16:27 pm »

Which tileset? The default one is, as far as I know, based on some common font or another.

If you're making a roguelike, you're quite possibly better off using actual text/console output unless you have a good reason why not.

Yeah, it's some old IBM font.  Nothing special.

Using text/console is preferred solely for nostalgia.  AFAIK there's no technical reason for using text/console for rougelikes.  In my highly biased personal opinion, working with images when programming is easier than working with curses.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:08:38 am »

AFAIK there's no technical reason for using text/console for rougelikes.

Untrue. Text is more easily rendered at different sizes, the user can use different fonts, and you can do things like save recordings easily and play over any console environment, such as SSH and telnet (which Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup relies upon for its online play, which is quite nice).

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:49:46 pm »

This doesn't make any sense. Codepage 437 is a character set, not a typeface, font, or set of tiles. It's a table of characters, and in no way specifies what those characters look like specifically.
I'm really confused. I thought the DF tileset was a direct copy of a standard CP437 output, with minor game-specific changes for each set/size. Perhaps I'm just over-complicating something I don't fully understand. Maybe I'm completely wrong. I haven't a clue any more. Here's the wiki page, if it helps.

I don't think there's a license on the art in Dwarf Fortress. That said, you'd be better off not using it. Just make your own tileset, or use text. If you look at the DF art files, you'll see it's not exactly hard.

Try this page also. It has some good tilesets that you might like more than the default DF ones.

colorthemap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:13:10 pm »

I want to not use a font output technique because  I want to be able to convert it to graphical later.  I will be using SDL.  The DF was just a perfect fit, and I don't want to use it without permission.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 09:20:13 pm »

I want to not use a font output technique because  I want to be able to convert it to graphical later.  I will be using SDL.  The DF was just a perfect fit, and I don't want to use it without permission.
You could just PM Toady or something. If it's just a personal roguelike creation, I don't see any issues coming up.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:57:42 pm »

I'm really confused. I thought the DF tileset was a direct copy of a standard CP437 output, with minor game-specific changes for each set/size.

I don't think there is any "standard CP437 output". The exact output is up to the implementation; Toady uses a common one, but I don't think it's "standard".

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 06:48:17 pm »

I want to not use a font output technique because  I want to be able to convert it to graphical later.  I will be using SDL.

Have you looked at libfake437? It's an SDL wrapper, with some simple curses-like GUI features if you want them.

colorthemap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 04:15:38 pm »

^^^ Sorry for late response(forgot about this) but I will indeed check that link out.