Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can't grow above ground  (Read 2782 times)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't grow above ground
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »

wild grasses can grow there.
Nope, wild grass IS here, but once eaten/trampled, it doesn't grow back. My plans for a transumance herding (i.e. moving the cattle to mountain pastures in summer) was a dismal failure because of it.  ::)

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't grow above ground
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 08:13:16 pm »

I'm beginning to think this is an unknown bug. I built a farm plot right next to an existing farm plot. I got the aforementioned "no soil/mud" message. But the dwarfs kept suspending the new plot.

Suspending the plot is a new one to me.  What's the exact message you're getting when they suspend it?

Failing that, you should take note of how big the plot is, exactly what tiles you're put it on, and if possible, what biome it's in.  One of the most common mistakes is for people to build an outdoor plot on a mountain biome (grass, but no shrubs or trees).  No crops can be grown in mountain biomes, despite the fact that wild grasses can grow there.  However, I've never heard of suspending the building of the plot as a symptom of this.  More typically, it results in a plot that simply doesn't work (can't be planted).

I got "no mud/soil for farm" which is how I found this thread.

It turns out to be the result of trying to build on top of an existing zone. When creating zones, you can see the zones themselves, but otherwise you can't, and I forgot it was there....

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]