Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Small question about the next release  (Read 1056 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small question about the next release
« on: April 08, 2008, 11:50:00 am »

In world gen wars, will winning civilization gain any territory over defeated ones? I know it looks an stupid question, but I didn't see any mention about this in dev_next.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Small question about the next release
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

It's not clear at this point for this release exactly how much is going to be done with conquered sites and the results/options that come out of that.  Beyond the raids/genocidal rampages I'm working on now, it's more time, and I'm starting to feel like I have less as the release drags on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

*Looks for the Doomsday Clock*

I don't see it Toady One. Where's this mythical clock that is forcing you to feel rushed?

We all, for the most part, I think, Support you in whatever way we can. If we can't pay you a donation, the least we can do is pay a few shunts. I think I speak for most everyone, and certainly everyone who counts when I say if you take your time, you won't disappoint, despite how you feel that we might feel.

So, keep being your awesome self and we will keep worshiping you as the true celebrity you are.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

Kogan speaks the truth. I actually am happy to have a release "dragged" as I finally have enough time to play out the fort without itching to try out the new world gen features.  :)
My humble request would be a timestamp on those dev_next updates, if they aren't specifically omitted for a good reason. I mean a honest-to-Armok "10th April 2008, 10:21 EST" or at least "10AM EST". I miss that terribly (can't explain why, though).
Morale of this community is "Serene" as opposed to the "Untamed Wilds" or "Terrifying" of other gaming communities; we don't mind waiting - take your time, oh Great one!
fox has become enraged!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

Remember this: In Toady we trust !

It would be nice to see the altaration on terreitories over the years, but this release will be already awesome. (At least in adventure mode)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 01:28:00 am »

(And in dwarf mode)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 05:21:00 am »

AFAIK the many changes of this release will have little impact on fortress mode. The release after this one will bring many more changes to fortress mode.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

Shows how much you know  ;)

# stopped mayor from ignoring labor list
# stopped placing container in one of its contained containers from locking up the game
# made constructions remove engravings, debris and other objects from their square on placement
# stopped aerial births
# stopped blood from hanging in the air
# made snow-covered dyer's workshop in different construction states distinguishable
# fixed some inconsistencies with child name capitalization
# allowed dwarves to dig up from ramps provided a ramp wall is in place
# stopped "large " items with blank names from appearing (one instance of it anyway)
# stopped channeled walls above constructions from leaving rocks inside the construction
# made unconscious diplomats/traders trigger traps
# stopped smoothing under roads
# stopped snow from being generated at the bottom of the ocean
# fixed problem with world map display size on chargen/embark
# made rain/snow shift locations with rest of objects on map shift
# made forbidden/on fire state of items respected in a few extra places
# made children grow up anyway if they somehow miss their exact coming of age date
# changed how diplomacy states are stored
# gave immigrant woodcutters proper soldier settings
# allowed undead/invaders to fight
# smoothed out local landscapes
# made digging out ramp walls update connectivity properly
# gave work dogs and cats names upon adoption
# displayed number of assigned hunting/war beasts during assignment
# fixed up problems with continued designation job selection
# stopped constructions and frozen liquids from floating at the bottom of the chasm
# stopped construction removal from leaving open spaces in ice
# stopped ocean waves from pushing merchant and horses free from wagons
# made carving a fortification unhide adjacent squares
# made freed tombs respect no pet init options
# made pregnancies count toward the baby cap
# made heat/cold damage effects for items work faster
# stopped dungeon master from constantly putting on cloaks
# stopped dwarves continuing training if the building becomes forbidden
# allowed wagons to go through ashes
# stopped debris on the ground from coloring flashing ramps
# allowed viewing of kills in ... dwf mode ...
# made megabeasts, semimegabeasts and underground feature creatures take on the undead character of their region
# fixed crash from having no items available to bring to the depot
# fixed problem with slaughter job spamming over inaccessible creatures
# improved accessibility checks for various jobs
# fixed problem with the king coming early and not actually showing up
# fixed problem with wagons not unloading at the depot if you have more than one
# made smoothed walls display correctly when designated for dig
# stopped selected embark area from changing when civ is changed
# placed silk cloth in the correct item category during embark
# fixed problem with blank thoughts from old caves
# stopped item names from spilling under point values in embark item list
# made cage occupant list scroll before reaching instructions
# fixed a problem that would allow continued designation jobs to mess with other designations
# stopped export restriction mandates from being violated by trader goods (no dwarves were punished, but noble becomes upset by this)
# made soldiers lose inappropriate jobs like training when their squad is put on duty
# stopped journey friendships from influencing leadership selection on embark
# handled an issue with job persistence when a dwarf joins the guard
# added some additional checks for well completion for well jobs
# fixed item contaminant adjective spacing and duplicates
# fixed crash bug related to rain destroying webs in evil forests
# fixed problem causing low baby caps to affect population cap

This doesn't include how "wars" will affect what people come to attack the site.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

I see only bug fixes there, smartass. I thought we were talking about new features.

edit: Though I reckon, you were right. There will be changes in fortress mode. However, most of the changes in this new version will affect adventure mode.

[ April 10, 2008: Message edited by: thvaz ]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

See, I disagree. Most of the changes concentrate on legends mode and world generation. Adventure mode and Dwarf Mode appear to be equally affected, but less then world generation, which is the base for both adventure and dwarf. Either way, you change the foundation, you impact the structure.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

In adventure mode, we will have, again, a variety of companions to take in adventures. And these companions will have more complex background than before. This was changed when Toady worked on varied professions for npcs, and this will affect fortress mode only very marginally.

The fact is, the world will be much more rich than before, and in fortress mode you are limited in what you can know from this new background.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

As for known background, here is a list of things I like to know before I start a fortress-

Family Line of the Civilization Ruler
Name of the Capital of the Civilization
Name of the group that controls the Capital of the Civilization
Entire Civilization Pantheon

And I also look at these when considering making a serious adventurer as well.

Like you said, the fact is the world will be much more richer then before, not that adventure mode is not very affected by this, or that dwarf mode is not very affected by this. In both modes gameplay style will change because of this release. I may not have to rely on thrown antman parts to kill my next GCS, and my fortresses will be closer to the civilization at the cost of adamantine or magma or chasms or all three.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ShunterAlhena:
<STRONG>Kogan speaks the truth. I actually am happy to have a release "dragged" as I finally have enough time to play out the fort without itching to try out the new world gen features.   :)</STRONG>

Indeed. Drag on as long as you need to!  :D

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

Hmmm... so since civs will wage war based on things like cultural differences, does that mean we might get dwarf sieges in fortress mode?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kogan Loloklam:
<STRONG>*Looks for the Doomsday Clock*

I don't see it Toady One. Where's this mythical clock that is forcing you to feel rushed?
</STRONG>

April has been very thin so far donation-wise (I wasn't on track to make rent when I replied on the 8th; it's slightly better now), and I wasn't feeling like I can grind away on world-gen details quite so much.  I dunno.  If I have to cut out and jump to the presentation arc, I'd rather have completed in-game army features that you can use during play rather than the other stuff.  On the other hand it's best to get as much of the foundation down as possible early on.  I'm not sure how it's going to play out at this point.  I'll probably have to make some tough decisions soon.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: [1] 2