Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silk Cloth  (Read 1324 times)

Genym

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Silk Cloth
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:26:13 pm »

So I finally got my fey-mood dwarf to take up residence in a workshop. She wants silk cloth and cut gems, so I tunneled down into a cavern, built a loom, told one of my peasants to go collect so my high-master weaver wouldn't risk his life...
Now I have 200+ Hauler cancels Collect Webs: Could not find path.
Is this a bug, or am I just doing something wrong? I can definitely see the giant cave spider webs, and my miners have no problem getting down there, and there's nothing in my fortress that would prevent him from doing it.
Any ideas?

Edit: I got my High Master Weaver to collect one web by cancelling the job and then queuing it up again, but that only worked once. So there's probably something else involved.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:10:23 pm by Genym »

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silk Cloth
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 01:35:57 pm »

I had this happen to me as well, by chance does your cavern have odd divisons in it where some parts are covered in moss and others arent?

And i found the only solution was to build the loom almost directly next to the webs and they will collect the webs that are nearby, you will probly have to move the loom around once one area has been collected.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 01:59:54 pm »

This can happen when the caverns are only partly revealed.  A dwarf is trying to collect a web, but the path the dwarf would take to get to the web goes through an un-revealed section of cavern.  This causes the job to fail due to the unknown path.  Unfortunately the dwarf isn't smart enough to just path to a web he can reach instead.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Genym

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:26:25 pm »

Okay, thanks, both of you. That explains why it occasionally worked-- it was going for the webs I could see.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 10:34:03 pm »

As they collect further away webs, they'll uncover more uncovered cavern, so the problem will eventually kill itself.

Or you could just send the military. It's the next best solution after magma.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:26:05 am »

Main bug report for this is #1254.