Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bronze Colossi -> Polar Bear Statue!?  (Read 2925 times)

-A_Dwarven_Bard-

• Bay Watcher
  • *plays a tune on Melbul Ottenshikes, a pine lute*
    • View Profile
Bronze Colossi -> Polar Bear Statue!?
« on: August 29, 2011, 12:18:42 am »

I was messing around in the Arena today, making two teams of 5 bronze colossi fight each other... Eventually this got boring as the only action was the occasional flying toe or ear, so I decided to spice things up a bit, by adding a dragon to the mix. The dragon began toasting the bronze colossi, and when they eventually melted to death, they became these statues:

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

Well, there's the polar bear and there's a giraffe statue. What I'm wondering is... WTF? Did Toady attempt to hide this as an easter egg, or do the dragons just like polar bears and giraffes, and so they turn their enemies into them?

This is just too awesome NOT to share, so I figured somebody else may get a laugh out of it.

*-A_Dwarven_Bard-* has organized a party at your house!
Dwarf Fortress: Our evil things are f*@$ing adorable.
Adorable F@#$ing evil things: Target Practice

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Colossi -> Polar Bear Statue!?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:33:52 am »

Bronze colossi drop random masterwork bronze statues when they die. It's not really an easter egg, just a little reward for killing one of the toughest enemies in the game.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:38:39 am »

A gigantic magic statue made of bronze and bent on mayhem.

The game's description of an unkilled bronze colossus tells you it's a statue, but it doesn't tell you what it's a statue of. Apparently, that particular one was a colossal bronze statue of a polar bear; animated by a master artisan, it turned to murder and madness after it realized its only purpose in life was to sell soft drinks.

Why it isn't clear what an aggressive metal statue is supposed to resemble before it dies is beyond me.    It's only determined for the corpse

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:03:15 am »

Aqizzar asked Toady to push in a little feature before an update that would cause statues to be of something. I don't remember the update and I can't be bothered searching the FotF thread. You couldn't specify what the statue would be, it was randomized. It was a quick an easy thing to do so Toady squeezed it in. I think the first example Toady made was a statue of clouds. He either didn't remember or didn't care that BCs drop a statue on death. It's a bug. Some may argue feature.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:34:07 am »

Back in 40d and before, a killed bronze colossus would leave a masterwork bronze statue.  Now since current statues get random art, the colossus's death statue will get random art assigned to it.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 11:13:42 am »

Being attacked by a colossal bronze giraffe would be pretty terrifying, I have to admit.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:49:06 am »

Huh. "Shadow of the Bronze Colossus"

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:19:57 pm »

would be better if the colossus had anatomy to match the statue type.  a solid bronze hydra would be more threatening than a solid bronze cloud, or "squares in squares" or something like that.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:46:44 pm »

I wonder if that gives the statue a chance to be recursive. That would easily be the most terrifying colossus ever.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 05:40:06 pm »

Oh dear god, it would be too powerful. When DF finally reaches the singularity, that recursive colossus would enter the real world and proceed to rule the universe.

That or it would learn to see through the matrix using it's infinite recursive brain power and then clone itself to fill every tile of your embark a billion times, killing you with the FPS death.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 06:53:35 pm »

I wonder if that gives the statue a chance to be recursive. That would easily be the most terrifying colossus ever.
In arena testing, I saw a bronze colossus turn into a statue of a carp once.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 12:24:56 am »

A giant bronze carp. Armok save us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 08:51:43 pm »

Not exactly secret. Itemcorpse statues are even more random than dwarf-made statues. It might seem hard to get more random than cheese or worms, but when a dwarf makes a statue of worms or cheese he's likely to continue making statues of worms or cheese, or maybe wormy cheese.

Point is, Toady hasn't gotten around to making itemcorpse statues and figurines turn into a statue of the dead guy, or anything specific for that matter.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 10:37:00 pm »

I recall someone testing a bit with these statues. Tried to make dead dwarves leave statues behind. Unfortunately, they weren't constructable.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o