Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [SUCCESSION_FORT][NEED_OVERSEERS]  (Read 32236 times)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The throne room was quite a sight. The throne itself was masterfully forged from the
purest adamant, placed apon a raised platform in the middle of the chamber. Above, several
balconies held rulers from the various mountainhomes. The queen, Led Kilrudustuth, sat apon
her throne and pretended to listen to the bickering as her most trusted advisor, the
legendary Mebzuth Dodokritas, whispered in her ear. He had been a general for many years,
and defeated a bronze colossus in a duel. Nothing could avoid the blade of his axe.

The shouted arguments from above echoed about the room, some loud enough to make the queen
cover her ears. The nobles would never stop bickering. Never. Of course, it would be difficult
to stop them when the civilization was the center of the longest famine the world had ever seen.

"Profanemachines desperately needs the food; most of our dwarves are mechanics and masons,
not suited for a life on the farms!"

"You fool! Clearly Id Asol depends on the Axe of Timelessness for defense against the goblins.
Without food, our soldiers will fall swiftly to the green ones' iron blades!"

Led sighed. Would they ever learn? She leaned closer to Mebzuth and whispered,"Bring in the
criminal."

The old general obeyed without question. He and many other dwarves had wished to see this one
punished. The golden doors opened slowly, revealing an extremely skinny dwarf with well-kept
facial hair(the only hair on his body, apparently), and large copper eyes.

"Arzun," Led proclaimed,"You are the cause of this famine, yes?! Your managerial mistake caused
thirteen years worth of food to be dumped into the ocean. What do you have to say for yourself!"

Arzun Degelsacat's glare was clearly visible to the nobles above, who quickly quieted thimselves.
He cleared his throat and began to speak.
"I am one of the best and brightest dwarves in this hellhole you call a mountain hall. I can only
assure you that you and your sources are completely incompetent, and that you have the wrong dwarf.
You fools wouldn't know your fingers from a plump helmet roast."

Mebzuth raised his axe."You'd do well to watch your tongue, unless you want it cut from you."

"Watch my tongue? What kind of dwarf can't take a good insult? A moron, that's the kind."

"You dare!? I have been a general of Id Asol's armies since you were a newborn. Show some respect, peasant."

Arzun spat on the floor, then laughed for several minutes.
"Respect? What are you, an elf? I knew we'd find a tree-hugging bastard around here some-"

His taunt was cut short by a battlecry, as Mebzuth charged forth. Arzun tried to dodge, but the
powerful general smashed the flat of the blade into his face. There was a sickening crack, and Arzun was out.

"If you will not show me respect, I will demand it of you."

"General?" Led called from her seat above the scene of the battle.

"Do take care not to kill him; He shall be the one to solve the problem he solved. Gather the
ones that followed those ridiculous orders he made, and send the lot of them to the far north."

"As you command, my Queen."

Arzun awoke to the sound of a wagon grinding to a halt. He sat up to see...nothing. A massive field
of white stretched out around the wagon in all directions. The air in this place was freezing, as if a
god of snow and ice had taken this place as his home.

"Ah. Our fearless leader is finally awake."
"Urgh...how long...?"Arzun struggled to find the words.
"You've been out for several weeks; it's a miracle you survived. Welcome to Icemachines, 'sir'."

He assessed the situation. Six dwarves under his command, and several bags of seeds, equipment, and other goods.
The wagon even had provisions from the Queen's private stock. Of course, most were frozen solid, but it was all
they had to eat.

One of his dwarves unrolled a piece of paper and set it on the wagon.
"Let's see. Id Asol's borders are here, and we've been travelling north for quite some time, so we should be...
Here."

Spoiler: DWARVES (click to show/hide)
Edit:
Spoiler: TURN LIST (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:18:04 am by Orangebottle »
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [COMMUNITY_FORT]
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:53:01 am »

Nice writing style!

I know I'm going to have to wait for the migrants wave, but I'd like to claim a weaponsmith when you'll have one.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 02:37:02 am »

A doctor here please, Professor Harken "He talks vith a german accent, und has a love for science!" could have been exiled due to malpractice. whichever suits your fancy :)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:58:50 am »

i'll take the miner/engraver! name him Wes Caesar.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 03:07:23 am »

Can I be the brewer? Name 'em Yerrick.
Nice writing! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 03:16:02 am »

If you get a sworddwarf, name him Hatebeard. His firey rage will melt the very ground he walks on!

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 05:57:14 am »

can i haz gem cutter miner :3
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:16:56 am »

If one of the yet unclaimed dwarves likes spears, I'd like that one. Otherwise, the female mason who will try to become an engineer in charge of traps.

Can we get the detailed descriptors of the dwarves?

Name and personality pending on the either-or. The name would probably be Ninugog.

In reply to Masked Hunter: I do believe 'Lurdurad' is dwarf for 'Hatebeard'.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:28:17 am by ushilzagith »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:16:04 am »

I'll take the first military dwarf you make. Axes. Derm. You know what to do.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 05:12:31 pm »

I'd like to request the female mason/mechanic/architect.  Name her Sphala.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 05:14:04 pm »

I would like the male woodworker. Name him Yerp.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:05 pm »

Arzun and the others stood in the snow for some time. Eventually, a few decided to introduce themselves.

Spoiler: Dwarves (click to show/hide)

The excavation soon began, as Arzun finished drawing up a basic plan of the fortress. First, a simple gate was built on the surface in case of a siege, along with a pair of trade depots. This small structure would allow the dwarves of Icemachines to seal themselves within the fortress, an easy way of avoiding any threat, and placing their lives in the hands of Sphal's stonework. Besides these few buildings, the snow-covered landscape was bare.
Spoiler: HUGE IMAGE (click to show/hide)
Next, the stockpiles were dug out. Arzun's love of circles was clearly expressed in the fortress design, as many of the excavations were for circular rooms. Ahra and Wes worked hard to get through the rock, and eventually the supplies were moved underground.

Just above the stockpile was a simple farm, made so that the somewhat antisocial farmer had something to do.

Two levels lower, the workshops, and plans for Arzun's personal quarters and office.

Just as Arzun had finished writing in his journal in the third person, Ahra came running up the stairs.
"Arzun!" she yelled, a concerned look on her face.

He dropped the book, paling slightly, before regaining control of himself.
"Let's have a look then, shall we?"

Down they went into the caverns. A large underground lake to the north, and a series of pillars and tunnels to the south. The floor was covered in mud and fungus, and strange plants sprouted from the floor here and there.

"We'll need to seal off a lake and find a safe way to get that water down here."
They thought for a moment, an eerie silence coming over the group. Eventually it was broken by Wes as he clambered down the steps and into their presence.
"We could dig a tunnel up to the edge of the lake, build some fortifications, then channel it in. It'd be perfectly safe!"
Arzun nodded in agreement. "Do it." he said, then turned and walked away.

He encountered Yerp on the stairwell. "Yerp, we've hit a cavern. There seem to be some tree-like plants down there, go cut them down."
Yerp bolted back up the stairs to retrieve his axe, glad to finally have something to do.

My Sig

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 02:00:32 am »

Arzun's Log, Summer-Winter of the first year of exile:

The cavern's stone walls have been taking some time to be constructed, as Sphala has been the only
one building them. I myself volunteered to do the work.

We spent long hours in the tunnels, talking and working. Building the foundation of a fortress
that would stand the test of time...
By the gods, I think i'm in love. Sphala is quite simply the most wonderful dwarven woman a man
could meet. Ever.

Arzun paused to catch his breath, leaning on the stone he had just been carrying.
"Hurry up Arzun, or these walls will never be finished in time."

Sphala had a way of inspiring him, and he hefted the boulder and began to move again.

"Sphala, have I ever tol-"
"Shh! Listen!"
Listen he did. A loud squelching echoed throughout the cavern, as if a larger creature were
walking through the sticky cavern mud.

It ran forth, grunting and growling, a cave man of the old times. The troglodyte and it's allies
rushed toward the recently built gate in the center of the cavern. The pair of dwarves backed
away to the stairs, where Arzun shouted,"To arms! Troglodytes in the deep!"

The entire population descended the stairway and the battle was joined. Pick, axe, and fist
met sharp claws and animal instinct. The battle raged on for many hours, almost feeling like days.

In the midst of the battle, none noticed as a certain antisocial
farmer was mutilated. He bled out shortly after.
Asen Monomrur, Lover to Ahra Ducimdath, was struck down.

Yarrick also suffered severe injuries, a broken wrist, foot, and leg keeping him down just outside
of the gate while the others chased the troglodytes off.

The troggs were all but slaughtered. Peace eventually returned to the caverns...

Arzun's Log, supplemental:

The troglodyte invasion thwarted, I took a headcount. Asen the farmer was missing. We searched a while,
and found his terribly clawed, unrecognizable corpse quite a bit further in the cave. I broke the news
to Ahra gently, but she didn't seem to take it all that well. Hmm.

Well, construction continues on the fortifications. The drawbridge is almost ready, an

A powerful shout rang out from the lowest level of the fortress.
"Troll in the depths! Asen Kadolavuz Akruldatan Zas, save us!"
It was followed by a resounding BOOM, and the terrified scream of a dwarf. A male dwarf.

The powerful beast chased after Sphala, it's murderous intent obvious in it's movements. Just as it
was about to reach her, it howled in pain, attempting to grab something from it's back. It turned around,
revealing another dwarf riding the evil thing, hacking at it with an axe. Yerp had responded to the
call to arms, and the Troll was quickly dispatched.

"Get that bridge finished. Quickly." Yerp implored.

Soon after the completed gate was raised, Yerrick and Asen were buried in the fortified section
of the caverns, until a more permanent mausoleum could be constructed. Arzun looked on, as grief filled
his heart and words. He finished the ancient rites, and the caskets were sealed.

Arzun's Log, Autumn-Winter, first year of Exile:
I can't believe this. This terrible luck. It's as if this fortress weren't meant to be. Both
Yerrick and Asen are dead. We've been attacked by a horde of troglodytes and their Troll ally.
We barely got the drawbridge raised in time to avoid another attack. And...and...
The woman I love loves another man.

This...cannot be possible. What does she see in him that I cannot best?
Grah! The foolish wench!

Note: throwing things around will get you beat up. I've decided apon a plan that will make her
see the appeal in having me as a husband. Yes...yes, that should work.

I have just put in the order for a great many rock statues. She'll come around eventually. Next
i'll have her engrave my entire massive room all by herself. And I'm not lifting a damn finger.

By the gods, what is with this woman?

How can she engrave such evil subjects in such amazing detail? Not only that, but
since I ordered them, they're to go in my room. She planned this. But. I'll not lose her to
Yerp. Never.

Thoughts so far?
My Sig

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 02:25:36 am »

Great writing so far. If I got it correct, you've lost both dwarves related to food production, so I'd like to request dorfing as Di remorseful farmer, he/she actually feels sorry for what was done there at mountainhomes and is devoted to fix that.
Preferable jobs: farming fields, butchery, food hauling only.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 08:53:21 am »

Sphala's journal-

Horrible, horrible.  Two of our farmers already dead.  How are we to make food for the Mountainhomes now?  Needs must the Mountahomes send us replacement, and they'll not be happy about that, after sending us up here to farm food in the first place.  And I could have died with them, if not for my beloved Yerp.  Such a fine fellow, angry one moment and cheerful the next, always a surprise.

Still, the walls and bridge are done now!  I think, anyway.  Maybe I'll go and check around for any holes later, if I remember to.  Got to make more statues for that annoying Arzun fellow first.  Something that will remind people of what's outside these walls, so we won't lose any more dwarves, like the way Asen and what's-his-name died.

Note to self:  ask Arzun to set up a turkey farm.  Lovely creatures, and they make so many eggs.  If the farmers are dead, we can raise poultry intead.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23