Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: The Birth of an Artifact  (Read 19151 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: The Birth of an Artifact
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2011, 10:08:40 pm »

It seems I've just been near-subconsciously ignoring any mechanical errors and focusing entirely on in-world strangeness; mostly, that the nature spirit seemed to do a lot of things that are quite unnatural, and more fitting of some life-warping mage. The most blaring of these was making the bat-woman ageless; anathema to the ever-cycling and moving process of natural life. If the spirit of fecundity wanted an eternal, intelligent servant, it would create a family of these creatures; an entity that has children, evolves, and lĭves lives.
 Also, isn't every side story given with the implicite promise that it will connect to the main story? There are a lot of books that start with multiple seemingly completely unrelated stories but brings them all together in the end.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:10:25 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2011, 05:35:36 am »

You absolutely have a point about that, Nivm, and should keep it in mind for future reference.

8)

I also feel fairly strongly about the concept of promising, and while you make a good statement on the general idea of an author-reader relationship, I don't want anyone to get the idea that I necessarily promise anything.

Read free, but read at your own risk.

I also wouldn't normally do too much revealing, but I'm still indulging in world-building, so some exposition might be useful:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for further speculation: Feel free, but this is only part 1, and please be advised: I will freely steal any ideas you present here, and then turn them into something alien and Other, again without prior consultation, or strong possibility of reprisal.

Such is the nature of this thread.

8)
For they would be your masters.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2011, 08:13:46 pm »

By the way, I'm going to be doing a few (minor!) rewrites, based on the world-building I've been doing behind the scenes.

To give you an example: I've decided that humans don't exist, and have never existed on this world, in these stories, so I'm going to change the (fairly meager) references to them. Humans, it should be noted, were originally going to be extinct by the time of the main story, anyhow, so it won't be much of a factor.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2011, 10:53:37 pm »

Ooh, nonhuman world. Neat-o-rama indeed.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2011, 01:03:08 am »

I just read through all of the story in one sitting and it's truly amazing! The style of writing and the attention to details are also fantastic. I really need to follow this thread closely.

Also, are you still taking characters requests?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2011, 01:39:17 am »

Ooh, nonhuman world. Neat-o-rama indeed.

I figure we all know what it's like to be a human, and how that goes, so I'd like to explore slightly more alien themes and viewpoints.

And yes, I'd still love to have any character submissions.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2011, 09:22:07 am »

Alright, I modified Shal'e'ish's Story (above) to remove the reference to humans. I replaced the human prisoner with a goblin, instead.

More to come (hopefully soonish?)...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2011, 06:43:25 am »

I'm around, but I'm working on my mod... I've got lots of ideas for the story that I'd like to get down and post, but lately my writing is just less and less centered. I'm hoping that working out some of my nitpicky ideas and desires, as pertains to DF, will help bring the Artifact storyline back into focus for me.

I keep trying to get the right words to come out, and they keep refusing, and hiding further into the cobwebs of my brain... And then the wrong words and off words dance themselves so easily and mockingly into the light.

It's not hard to write. It's just hard to write, and know satisfaction.

In the meantime, just so I don't go much more crazy than I am, I may possibly work on some other, different, writing. If I do, I'll try to post it, and you can all boo and hiss to your various hearts' (I tell myself there must still be atleast 2 or so of you out there) contentednessessessessess.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:45:44 am by SirHoneyBadger »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2011, 02:51:07 am »

Your writing is so good that the only people who will be hissing are people who are half-snake and don't have human vocal cords!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »

I just chanced upon this while trawling through the forum, and immediately read the entire thing. The descriptions are exquisite, and the sprawling narrative gives the feel of great breadth and depth to both the world and the characters housed within.

I try to come up with a criticism of the writing itself, but can think of little. The work flows in thought and varies in both sentence structure and word use. The plot itself is a little overextended, but it is never enough to actually lose interest. If I were you I would try to find some way to fit the exposition and sub-plots as seamlessly as possible into the main plot, although that seems difficult to do with any degree of subtlety with some plots. (I.E. no dwarf would know about a Spirit in a sealed cave sitting for a millenium gradually carving a complex and self-sufficient ecosystem with the purpose of trapping the poison of a clutch of dragon eggs)

In short, I love it and would actually save a completed version to my ipad and read it a few times. It is novel-quality writing.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2011, 03:24:30 am »

[...]
If the other parts of your mind want to write things less and less centered, perhaps you should oblige them a bit, and speed up the process until there is no center. At that point, you can simply simply say "here" on your universe, and then your writing is perfectly centered again.

Writer's block is generally when one of the miniminds that doesn't talk decides it dislikes what's being done.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Hazael

• Bay Watcher
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »

You, SirHoneyBadger, have succeded in making me jealous of my little story of Lagdon compared to the sheer awesomeness of your story.  >:(

In all seriousness though, I do bid you good luck on your next mod! Hope you also can find enough time to continue the story!  :P
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Israel was not created in order to disappear - Israel will endure and flourish. It is the child of hope and the home of the brave. It can neither be broken by adversity nor demoralized by success. It carries the shield of democracy and it honors the sword of freedom." -John F. Kennedy
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]