Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [SUCCESSION_FORT][NEED_OVERSEERS]  (Read 32243 times)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We seem to have a danger room, or at least a room full of wooden upright spears.  I haven't checked to see if it's hooked up to a lever and ready to use yet.

Ye. But it was my first danger room and only has one spear per square. Lever's in my office somewheres.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

We seem to have a danger room, or at least a room full of wooden upright spears.  I haven't checked to see if it's hooked up to a lever and ready to use yet.

Ye. But it was my first danger room and only has one spear per square. Lever's in my office somewheres.

If you want when I start my go I could pull every lever, note their location and use, savescum and use the 'Notes' function to label every lever.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Actually, the levers are pretty well labeled already.

Bad news, everyone.  I seem to have left the thumb drive with my copy of Icemachines at the office.  It's safe, I just can't get to it.  I won't be able to get back to updates till Monday at the earliest.  More likely Tuesday as my wife and I are having a night out on Monday.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, this needs overseers? Can volunteer, sure, sign me up.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, the levers are pretty well labeled already.

Bad news, everyone.  I seem to have left the thumb drive with my copy of Icemachines at the office.  It's safe, I just can't get to it.  I won't be able to get back to updates till Monday at the earliest.  More likely Tuesday as my wife and I are having a night out on Monday.
D'aw.
That sucks.
My Sig

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hope this doesn't end up dyin'.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have the file back now, I'll update tonight.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sphala's journal

Wow, seems like forever since I last wrote anything here.  Truth is, things have settled down and been quiet since the big excitement of the Bronze Colossus!  We've got what's left of it down in the sparring room.  I think they're using it to practice with.

The new farming rooms are coming along wonderfully, Di has been so very busy getting all the fields planted.

The original farm is still making plump helmets, but the two new ones are going to be growing sweet pods and quarry bushes.  We still have two more to dig out, those will be for cave wheat and pig tails.  It's not just for the mountainhomes.  I've been hearing some complaint around here about the monotony of the food and drink.

We've had a few births to announce.

Another birth is always a joyous occasion, and Uvash's boy will be welcome here.  I'm not sure what to do with the cavies.  They're cute, but not good for much else, not even eating.

Derm has been muttering about wanting another chance at a Bronze Colossus.  He's not satisfied with the fight against the last one, since Kalugog got the credit for the kill.  I saw him the other day practicing throwing his shield at the remains of the one in the barracks.

Silly Derm, an Adamantine Shield's no good as a weapon.

We butchered the strange creatures that the Elves brought us.  They were, indeed 'good eats', as Hatebeard put it.  Urist McHuman was thrilled to finally get some bones to work with.  He's happily carving them right as I write this.

And me?  I've been out on the surface, working on the fortifications around the trade depot.  Arzun sent me a note telling me not to forget to build a roof.  Silly man, like I didn't already know that?  Not only will the fort have a roof, but there will be statues on the roof.  I just need to pick the right ones, I have so many.

We'll want one of Arzun, of course, to greet traders at the front.  A few of our soldiers, of course, striking down goblins and looking fierce.  And this one, this one's my favorite.

Such a fine day, that was.  That's when I knew I loved him.

(sigh)

So, that should do it.  A few statues to place, and then we'll seal the entrance to the roof

Sphala's journal, addendum.

I. Cannot.  Sleep.  Like.  This!

I love my children, but this room is far, far too small for my family!  They need beds!  I need my own bed!  Half the dwarves in this fortress don't even have beds yet!  Not that we don't have beds, the workshops are overflowing with them, but there's nowhere for them to GO!

Enough it enough, I'm talking to Ahra about mining out some new bedrooms in the morning.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Olon Evudtirist was happy.  Although he hadn't been able to practice much of the furnace operating he'd studied back in the mountainhomes, farming was rewarding in its own way.  The Sweet Pod crop had come in, and Olon was already looking forward to the syrup roasts the kitchens would produce soon.

One last Sweet Pod remained in the plot.  One more to go, then he'd take a break for some of that delicious plump helmet wine.  Olon walked across the field, then halted in mid-step, gasping in pain.

A voice, droning over and over, was building in his head.

Teskom Vod...
Teskom Vod...
Teskom Vod...

The promise of fresh-roasted syrup forgotten, Olon turned and sprinted determinedly for the crafting-halls.

Urist McHuman finally arrived at his crafting station.  Next to the butcher's shops, he didn't usually have far to go for bones.  He'd been working through the pile of giraffe bones for some time, and was getting bored with them.  The pile of Naked Mole Dog bones he'd found in a corner of the cavern pasture would be a nice break.  He placed the first bone down, picked up his whittling knife, paused a moment to contemplate the best way to make mole dog ribs into arrows.  Then Olon Evudtirist, possessed Furnace Operator, burst into the shop and swept up the entire pile of bones.  As Urist opened his mouth to protest, Olon turned at him, and simply said,
"Teskom Vod"

Olon stared at the pile of naked mole dog bones.  It wasn't enough.  NEED MORE BONES, the voice in his head demanded.  Then sudden knowledge hit him, the thought coming like a beam of fell light from the darkness.  He knew where the perfect stack of bones was.

Deep in the caverns, the Cave Fish men sat in the mud about their squalid camp site, among the dark and stinking fungus.  It had been some time since the bearded ones had last dared to defile the sacred pillar, and some time since the strange beast had come and killed one of them, only to be slain by their leader.  Since then, they had become used to the regular visits from one of the bearded ones, who spoke to their leader in private.  When they heard a dwarf descending by the secret passage next to the sacred pillar, they assumed it was him for a moment.  Then the smell, slightly different, ranker and with a slight stink of fire and metal, told them differently.  More shocking yet was the strange dwarf's actions - digging up the body of the fish man killed by the monster!

They burst forward, gurgling in anger.  The strange dwarf turned to them and said only
"Teskom Vod".  They gave chase, but their clumsy bodies were no match for his steps, fueled as they were by possession by some dark spirit.

Olon gathered more materials from around the fortress, gems and cloth and leather, working in secrecy for days.  He was finally discovered, slumped over the workshop, in front of a strange and terrible figure.

His creation foretold a terrible fate for the dwarves, and yet offered a possible hope for salvation.

"Terrible creatures of the night and horrible beasts from far away will come for you, dwarves of Icemachines.  Only through Atrid can you be saved."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:53:52 pm by Sphalerite »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sphala's Journal

We're all a bit shaken by the message from Olon's possession.  I can't say I know much about this Atrid.  I'll have to ask around to see if we have anyone who's knowledgeable about him.

It's probably for the best that Peregar's ice trap is coming along nicely.  The trench is at the required depth, now we just need to dig out the inlet and outlet tunnels.  Ahra's complaining that it's cold and damp, but I told him that it's a freeze-trap, of course it's going to be cold and damp.

But everyone's happier now that we have plenty of wine - in golden barrels, even!

Makes you feel like you're in a proper fortress, seeing something like that.

Oh, the new living area I designed?  It's coming along wonderfully.  I've been working day and night with hardly a break making furniture for it.  Of course, Yerp and I were some of the first to move in, what with having a family, but we should have rooms for everyone by the end of the year.

I'm doing it all in circles, to keep with how the fortress has been done so far.  Arzun seems to like it that way.

That's all for now.  Those cabinets aren't making themselves.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arzun's Personal Journal:

Well. Like I said. Sphala is perfect. In every way.
She designed the bedrooms in circles.
so proud

Ahem. Anyway. The leader of the cave fish men is quite incensed over the theft of their warrior. He understood, however, after my two very valid points.

1. If you didn't want his bones stolen, you should've buried him.
2. The dwarf was possessed, it wasn't his fault.

It took me at least an hour to explain the concept of possession to him. Eh. I think he gets it now, though he didn't come to the last meeting. This can only mean bad things. Sooner or later, they're going to find out we took their god away from them, and they'll be really mad. Probably invade the fort, too. Of course, our military will make short work of them, and their bones will be used in the artifacts of Icemachines for centuries to come.

Also, this wine is simply amazing, and in golden barrels too. Drinks fit for a king! And hopefully I'll become just that, soon enough.
My Sig

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hatebeard notes

I must ask Sphala for a few things. First off, a new holiday that celebrates the founding of Icemachines. Secondly, I have an idea for a massive stone tower. An execution tower if you will. Prisoners of war are held there, only to be chucked off the highest point to their doom. Maybe its cruel, but its a fate that goblins would gladly give to us dwarves. Thirdly, I should ask her to set up some traps outside. Maybe we'll catch a polar bear or something. I've always wanted my very own war bear.

Lastly, the adamantine.. whispers. We should dig more of it up. If the old rumors are true, a trap should be created before doing so..

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

"...WHAT?!??! HATEBEARD, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!??! WHY ARE WE PUTTING OUR BOOZE IN GOLDEN BARRELS?!?! WHO THE FUCK ORDERED THIS?!!?!??!??!!!??"

"Wes, calm the hell dow-"

"I WILL NOT CALM THE FUCK DOWN!!! DAMN IT, I MINED THAT GOLD-"

"Yes, you di-"

"AND KISSED IT, AND RUBBED IT and th..."

"...SHUT UP THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY WON'T YOU STOP TALKING!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Dear the mandatory diary the nobles gave me,

So, I have arrived in the 'shitty hellhole' that was Icemachines. Man, nobles sure are elf-loving pansies. This place is fantastic! The current owner is doing a great job, and I am making new friends here. I won't even take over as per order; as if the asinine bureaucrats would punish me for that. I will however offer should the current one were to die...

Now, pardon my elfish, but holy FUCK this place is cold. I am used to the steams of volcano magma and jungle heat of the mountain homes. I can even see my breath blow smoke before me, (some people thought it was strange that I kept going outside to examine this phenomena more). The fishing has been fine, but the cave-fish people keep chasing me away. Were it up to me I'd have the heads of these heathenistic prawns served with golden sunshine. My favourite, though I highly doubt this place has it. Perhaps if I took over I'd have the warriors simply steal it from elves.

I met a dwarf named Hatebead, a right good fellow. He knows how life works. I respect him. He mentioned to me a formal request for a pit to drop and kill goblins and whatnot. I'll put in my own request for this pit, but with some changes. I will request that it be made non-lethal; so that our brave men and women carrying their brave sons and daughters with them into battle in their arms can kill the stunned creatures. It makes for much better training.

Now, dear diary (it seems so heretical to talk to inanimate objects), I do have some bad news. Olon Evuditrist, through either the hand of god or demon, forebode a warning to the people. Many have asked me what it means, yet I do not know. I have faith Atrid will protect this place, I have seen much of his work done. Fallen people of importance have taken over the bodies of others. I asked the reincarnation of 'Derm' what it is like to die, but he quickly changed the subject.

I can't help but feel this place is too cheery. Something is coming. Maybe it's the cold, the people here are not strangers to it...

PS. Fuck you nobles, the chisel you gave me to scribe my thoughts was defective. Whose stupid idea was to have it forged from gold? Such vanity I would consider to be a sin if it weren't for their already apparent insanity. I'm sending it back with a drawing of hind quarters scribed into it by a proper rock chisel.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:34:54 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hatebeard notes

Newcomer today. Name was Mitch, I believe. Non-lethal pit trap.. thats fine. Maybe I should ask Sphala for an arena instead. Capture a few things and fight.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23