Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Blacktree Trail - A Western RTD- First turn of Chapter Two about 30% done!  (Read 11280 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Blacktree Trail
A Western RTD

Dryman's ranch, a small cattle farm near the town of Rocky Gulch, has fallen on hard times of late, with the ruthless cattleboss Alistair Merrick gaining ownership of all the best land in the region through a combination of money, threats, and outright violence with his army of gunmen.
Once-loyal Dryman's customers are now buying Merrick's cattle, practically at gunpoint, whilst the area's lawmen are powerless to stop it. The moustachioed Mister Dryman, having cattle to care for, a family to feed and workers, many almost like family themselves, to pay, knew he had to take drastic measures.
Many miles due north from Rocky Gulch is a region where beef is an expensive rarity. Drive the cattle there, sell them, and Mister Dryman could put his ranch back on its feet! But there is one problem, which also happens to be the reason why no-one has dared try this before.
The Black Forest.

Stretching from the banks of the Antston river, down to a few miles north of Rocky Gulch, and for a very long way beyond, the Forest is completely unmapped, and those who live in or near its fringes speak of bandits, indian tribes and even, some of the more superstitious, ghosts. The only tentative path through its vastness is Blacktree trail, a small track made in times long past, and since fallen into disrepair. It is barely even wide enough for a wagon in some places.
So, will you sign on for what will be the greatest cattle drive in recorded history? Will you put your life on the line to save your cattle-herding way of life? Will Mister Dryman ever shave that moustache?

Find out along...
  Blacktree Trail.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map of Dryman's Ranch (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:55:09 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Blacktree Trail - A Western RTD
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:55:15 am »

Characters

Wagoneer: Open!
Got another idea? Lemme know!

Skills: You get four points to start with, skills can be raised to a maximum of three. Hired guns get a free point in gunslingin',
The rancher gets a free point in yammerin'.
Oh and the Native Guide gets a free point in trackin'.

(Um, bear with me, not sure how this works yet! :P )
-Gunslingin' +(Can choose to specialize in rifles or pistols if you wish)
-Knifeslingin' +++
-Knife fightin' +
-Wrasslin'
-Horseriding +
-Horse caring ++
-Yammering
-Sneaking +
-Medical+++ Exclusive to Doctor
-Tinkerin' +++
-Cookin' ++
-Trackin' ++
-Wagoneerin'++ Exclusive to Wagoneer
-Bow-slingin'+++ Exclusive to Native Guide
-Dodgin'++ Non-purchasable, tied to gunslingin'/knifeslingin' skills. Also, 1 rank simply removes the -2 penalty; 2 ranks add a bonus.

+: This skills receive a -1 for unskilled users
++: These skills receive a -2 for unskilled users
+++: These give a -3 for unskilled users, and the first rank simply removes the -3 penalty, further ranks add full bonuses.

Spoiler: Weapon Specializations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:44:08 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 04:55:53 am »

Equipment
Ranchhands get $45 starting cash, Gunslingers get $65.
All guns come with four reloads worth of ammo. Pretty good deal, eh?

Ranchhand equipment list:

Pistols

Smith & Wesson Mk1 - 7 shots - Dam: 1d6 $10
Colt Paterson Revolver- 5 shots - Dam 1d6+2 $15
Colt Walker Revolver- 6 shots - Dam 1d8+2 $25

Rifles

.52 Spencer Repeater - 7 shots - Dam 1d6+4 $20
.44 Henry Repeater - 16 shots - Dam 1d6+2 $25

Shotguns

Double-barrel Shotgun - 2 shots - Dam 1d6+12 ~Short range $40

Vittles

Salt Beef - $1 /lb
Coffee - $0.35 /lb
Oats - $0.20 /lb
Milk - $0.50 /qt
Butter - $0.40 /lb
Flour - $0.10 /lb
Sugar - $0.70 /lb

Equipment

Rope - $1 /7ft
Shovel - $5
Chewing tobacco - $2 /lb
Cigarettes - $4 /pack of 12
Safety matches - $0.20 /pack of 12
Kerosene lantern - $4
Clawhammer - $4
Nails - $2 /pack of 20
Paint - $3 /small tin, various colours
Fiddle - $5.50 /with bow
Can o' grease - $1
Kerosene - $0.5 /quart $0.40 /gallon
Candle - $0.20
Riding crop - $2
Harmonica - $0.50
Saw - $4
Woodaxe - $2
Bowie knife - $8

Gunslinger equipment list:

Pistols

Smith & Wesson Mk1 - 7 shots - Dam: 1d6 $10
Colt Paterson Revolver- 5 shots - Dam:1d6+2 $15
Colt Walker Revolver- 6 shots - Dam: 1d8+2 $25
Schofield Revolver- 6 shots - Dam 1d6+5 $30
Colt Dragoon Revolver- 6 shots - 1d10+2 $40
LeMat Revolver - 9 shots, 1 shell - Dam 1d8+3/1d8+8 $45

Rifles

.52 Spencer Repeater - 7 shots - Dam 1d6+4 $20
.44 Henry Repeater - 16 shots - Dam 1d6+2 $25
.56 1855 Colt Revolving Rifle - 5 shots - Dam: 1d6+8 $44

Shotguns

Double-barrel Shotgun - 2 shots - Dam 1d6+12 ~Short range $45
Winchester Model 1887 - 5 shots - Dam 1d8+8 ~Short range $40

Vittles

Salt Beef - $1 /lb
Coffee - $0.35 /lb
Oats - $0.20 /lb
Milk - $0.50 /qt
Butter - $0.40 /lb
Flour - $0.10 /lb
Sugar - $0.70 /lb

Equipment

Chewing tobacco - $2 /lb
Cigarettes - $4 /pack of 12
Safety matches - $0.20 /pack of 12
Loaded dice - $5 /set of 4
Gun cleaning kit - $8 /set of brushes & cloths in attractive wooden case
Bowie knife - $8
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:06:11 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 04:59:43 am »

Reserve me a spot. Don't know if I'll actually play though.

Name: Alonzo S. Chavez
Position:Ranchand
Appearance: Dark in skin, plain in looks. Slim in body, short hair, and a goatee. Looks to be somewhere from 14-25. He usually wears any article of clothing he can find. They are usually dirty and cut in several places. Has an obvious Mexican accent.
Skills:
Horse caring: 2
Sneaking: 1
Horse riding: 1

or if I'm doing this wrong, Horse caring.

Bio: Chavez was born the fifth son of a poor family of farmers at the Mexian-United State border. He was weak as a child and was often sick, but he was amazingly always able to get back to work. Alonzo was in charge of the livestock of his family and he felt a special connection to the horses. When he was 12 however, a band of outlaws raided his family's small farm and butchered his whole family and took away what little wealth they had. Fortunately, he was out of the farm on an errand. When he got back, he mourned and became a silent man. All he had was his horse and the clothes on his back. He had to steal to survive. He travelled from town to town working in honest and dishonest jobs to survive. This is simply the latest of many jobs.

Equipment:
20lb of oats ($2.00)
4lb of salt beef ($4.00)
4lb of sugar ($2.80)
5 lb of coffee ($1.75)
2 ropes ($2.00)
shovel ($5.00)
5 candles ($1.00)
riding crop ($2.00)
2lb of chewing tobacco ($4.00)
Smith & Wesson Mk1 ($10.00)
2 cans o'grease ($2)
kerosene lantern ($4)
9 gallons of kerosene (3.6

Total= $44.15
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:58:44 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:00:38 am »

Name: Jack R. Flint
Position: Sawbones
Appearance: A slim, slightly bow legged man that has the odd scar or two on his skin, with a big one coming down in a slight cresent moon shape from the right corner of his mouth. He has tanned skin, roughly cut short dark brown hair (most likely done with a knife), rough stubble around his jaw and upper lip and speaks with a slightly coarse voice after taking a bad hit from a cougar. Jack wears dusty and slightly patched clothing that has been through many trials and troubles, and has a nice, if slightly worn, pair of dark brown boots. He also wears a suprisingly clean white apron when fixing people up.
Skills: Gunslingin' (1), Horseriding (1), Medical (2)
Bio: A hard man for hard times, Jack was somewhat of a wanderer for a few years before finding Dryman's Reach. He's seen a bit of everything, from the east coast to the west, and has the scars to prove it. He has learnt to handle himself in a fight, but is a keen hand at almost anything, if he puts his mind to it. He decided to stick with Mister Dryman after seeing the harsh ways that Merrick was treating others, and hopes to put a stop to it before it gets out of hand.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:39:39 pm by Zako »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 05:01:25 am »

Name: Grigor Bryttviev
Position: Ranch hand
Appearance: Looks around 30, with mostly greying hair, always carries an accordion on the back of his horse, and has a slight Eastern European accent. Doesn't say a great deal that reveals it though. Carries a large blade strapped to his belt and another two strapped to his boots. Has a handsome craggy face with a charming smile that he tends to keep hidden under the brim of his hat.
Skills: Knife throwin' (2 points) Knife fightin' (1 point) Sneakin' (1 point)
Bio: Grigor has come from the East, although he doesn't tend to tell people that. Not many people out West seem to be particularly keen on Bulgarians. But even less people back in Bulgaria were keen on priest-killers, even if Grigor was in the right. His father was a musician and a carpenter, like Jesus was and like Grigor wanted to be, and the priest was a god-damned liar.

Items
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:11:33 am by lawastooshort »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 05:10:02 am »

Hehe, glad you guys like the idea! Hopefully I can live up to expectations... D:
Going out for a while, when I get back I'll work out a bit more rules-wise.
If I'm having skills now, I might have to do something more than just rolling a d6. I might rip off Dark Heresy and such, and use a percentile die, who knows. I'll think of something!
Booze is Life for Yoink

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 05:10:52 am »

Name: Tarrin Salvor Smith
Position: Hired Gun
Appearance: Tall, brown hair, brown eyes. Somewhat tanned skin, hairstyle covered by excessive amounts of hat.
Skills: Gunslingin' Rifles. Horseriding. Horse caring. Tinkerin'.
Bio: Tarrin is a pure bred American. 26 years old, Tarrin is a well known hunter and gun-for-hire. He has a strong sense of duty... until death is almost a certainty, then he will reconsider his job. Tarrin's mother is a wealthy woman who's constantly worried to death about him, and Tarrin's father is a gun collector and enthusiast.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:04:54 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 05:16:40 am »

Reserve me a spot? I can't do a character sheet at the moment.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:33:55 am »

Okay, you guys are all in.
And yes, Knife-slingin' can be a skill, although I think I'll be changing the character stats anyway, and adding attributes and such. Also, the equipment list is still to come, as well as rules for combat and horses. :)
I have most of it worked out in my head, just gotta put it on paper[/i] on screen so it makes sense.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:50:04 am »

This is a game where we have to herd cattle through woods, right? How about a herding skill of some kind? How are we going to find food and water to eat and drink? Take it with us, or do we have a survival skill of some kind? Do we have a wagon that we have to drive, which has all our stuff in it, or do we have individual inventories? What about some kind of medical skill, incase one of us or some cattle or horses get hurt?

I'm not sure if we should have attributes. That adds a lot of complication to an RTD. Still, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to playing.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:55:22 am »

Well, I think I was going to change 'horse caring' with 'animal caring', or maybe just use the horse riding skill for herding, I'm not sure.
And yeah, I think you're right about the attributes thing... I'm trying to add too much in!
And I think I will add a doctor role, and they can be the one person with medical skills.

And the wagon and such, along with items, is coming.
You're each going to have an inventory bought from different equipment lists depending on your position, and then the Rancher (Scriver) gets a certain amount of cash to spend on either himself, or on filling the wagon with goods to keep the rest of you fit/alive. Could be interesting to see what kind of character Mr Dryman ends up being.

Oh, and for the hell of it, since Mr Dryman's family will be coming along, I'll roll to see how many kids he has. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Deos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 08:05:34 am »

It's quite an interesting theme i'll be watching this for sure.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 08:06:00 am »

I think he would probably keep his kids at home, or at a friend's place instead of taking them on a dangerous cattle drive. Also, dibs on the doctor if he gets added!

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:50 am »

Name: James T. Carrlen
Position: Ranch-hand
Appearance: James has medium length unkept brown hair, and deep bluish gray eyes. He looks young, maybe early to mid twenties, and has a rough stubble on his chin and jaw. He has tanned skin from all the time in the sun. He normally wears a plain white shirt and brown pants, with a brown duster with matching hat. (Of the epic Cowboyish kind).
Skills: 1 Horse Riding, 1 Horse Care, 2 Gunslingin' Revolvers (Pistols)
Bio: James was born into relative luxury, but when his father was killed, his mother and himself were forced to flee to the West. He was barely old enough to become a ranch hand, but he did, keeping his father's revolver with him so he could practise with it, fancying that he would get revenge. He lost the revolver some years ago, but he remembers the promise.

Why? Because I'm awesome.

Edit: Zako, You and your doctors.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15