Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Which grafics do you prefer?  (Read 9259 times)

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which graphics do you prefer?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 07:29:51 am »

I usually use ASCII, but as of late I have been using Ironhand, mainly because the walls look nice, and because of the size of the tiles; they have a good size width/height ratio. I started using Ironhand after I wanted to try and find a tile set to make my friends attempts to play the game easier, but I use it quite a lot myself now.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
Re: Which grafics do you prefer?
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 11:46:34 am »

I use the default ASCII. Graphics packs have too much graphics. The less physical graphics a game has, the more you can imagine yourself. IMO, computer graphics are for people without the willpower to use their imagination. Sadly, pretty much every single commercially distributed computer game since at latest 2000 targets only these people, because there are just so many more of them and because graphics are much easier to make than to inspire. Even sadlier, most people seem to have forgotten that there exists such a thing as imagination, because they never need it to play their computer games.
IMO, computer graphics help for it to be easy to use.
...........;...,.....
....'.......'......;..
..;.....:D........,.
...."........,..."....
Without knowing what those ASCII characters mean, an image of grass with a dwarf looks way easier to use.

^ That there would be way more complex looking without graphics, but here it looks more simple and easy to tell what everything is.

I often switch between ASCII and graphics. :P
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 08:34:46 am »

Both graphics and ASCII, since both have their pros and cons.

Also I don't feel *smug and ultra intelligent elitist* because I can read ASCII.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 08:41:11 am »

Whatever Genesis mod currently has. I can read ASCII just fine.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 09:44:51 am »

I use Pheobus graphics, ASCII is too harsh for me.

Im only 14 (so glad when i get to 15 in a few days, then people won't automatically think 'knobhead') and all my life ive played on console, so im not used to text games/older looking games, so ASCII was very ugly and impossible for me to get into :(

I would love to learn/get into ASCII, but unfortunately I can't.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 01:00:07 pm »

I tried Ironhand when I just started, but it was too difficult to look up what a particular tile I was looking at meant, so I switched back to ASCII so I could look up what each symbol meant as I encountered them.  Ever since I keep earnestly trying to use different graphics sets, but the minimum 80 horizontal tiles means that it's too difficult to distinguish between different detailed tiles and I have to squint and slow down to see what's what.  Enemies and dwarves and animals and terrain are too similar; all multicoloured blobs.  With ASCII all the tiles are very clear even from far away, and easily discernable.  I don't have to lean in to see which tiles are goblins or dwarves or trees.  The goblins are the 'g's. 

So far I have switched the colour scheme to 'natural' from the wiki since dark blue is impossible to read in default.

That said if there was a graphics set with very simple, very distinct tiles I'd like to try it out.  I may look at the modified ACII sets people have mentioned here.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 01:24:20 pm »

Im only 14 (so glad when i get to 15 in a few days, then people won't automatically think 'knobhead') and all my life ive played on console, so im not used to text games/older looking games, so ASCII was very ugly and impossible for me to get into :(

I'd understand if you said you don't like it, but this is a shitty excuse, I'm fifteen, and I canread ASCII just fine, you don't need to be UBER SMART LOL to understand it and it has its own unique beauty.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 01:40:15 pm »

I'd understand if you said you don't like it, but this is a shitty excuse, I'm fifteen, and I canread ASCII just fine, you don't need to be UBER SMART LOL to understand it and it has its own unique beauty.

And you obviously have "shitty" reading. It's not because he's fouteen, it's because he's used to good graphics and whatnot, I'd doubt he'd find any good games with poor graphics on a console - todays generation of youth shun any game without great graphics.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 02:50:08 pm »

I think you're missing the point here.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 04:02:31 am »

And you obviously have "shitty" reading. It's not because he's fouteen, it's because he's used to good graphics and whatnot, I'd doubt he'd find any good games with poor graphics on a console - todays generation of youth shun any game without great graphics.

Its not that i 'shun' any game without good graphics, i care about gameplay like most people with a brain, and i play many games that i love, and they have none or very little/bad graphics. Its just i couldn't really get used to playing a game with a letter as an object, it just looks a kerfuffle to me; its not that i cant read ASCII. Stop being such a douche.

Some people cant get ASCII into their heads, and im one of them. I tried, but i just prefer seeing graphics packs, as i never got used to ASCII.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 04:24:26 am »

I go with Curses. So much faster to read than graphics. Besides, with my tiny laptop monitor I find that 16x16 tiles are too big, not enough of them fit on the monitor. If I had a 32" monitor, it would be a different story. On the other hand, the tiles would have to be bigger so tiny details do not get lost.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 04:49:31 am »

CP437 characters, but not the default - I prefer something smoother with some shading. They look good, are clear at any zoom level, and many cute details would get lost in tilesets.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 05:02:59 am »

I love Mayday, perhaps because it was the first tileset I used with DF. I have tried out Phoebus and Ironhand but always go back to Mayday.

I can't stand ASCII and I never could. It's horrible to my eyes.
I have been playing Roguelike games for a good 20 years now, starting with Moria on the Amiga which came with a tileset already.
Later on the PC I was playing Angband with David Gervais' famous and lovely tileset which I am also using for FAAngband.

DaJonkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 05:31:01 pm »

I tend to use whatever.. after updates I play with ASCII for a while then once mods catch up, play with whatever the mods use.
- Protector of those who are always used in or are victim of dangerous experiments, random acts of violence, deliberate acts of unnecessary violence, unjust punishment by false blame of error, justed punishment by blame of trivial everyday stuff, oh and mythological species racism in general. (I help them with law stuff and filing basics forms, as claws, tentacles and whatnot can make that difficult... no forms no benefits, travel coverage, ect apparantly in this world *sigh*).

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2011, 05:38:07 pm »

I use the default ASCII. Graphics packs have too much graphics. The less physical graphics a game has, the more you can imagine yourself. IMO, computer graphics are for people without the willpower to use their imagination. Sadly, pretty much every single commercially distributed computer game since at latest 2000 targets only these people, because there are just so many more of them and because graphics are much easier to make than to inspire. Even sadlier, most people seem to have forgotten that there exists such a thing as imagination, because they never need it to play their computer games.

Me too. I love the ASCII... I'd rather imagine a goblin than look at some tiny green blob that's supposed to be one. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5