Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Which grafics do you prefer?  (Read 9260 times)

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which grafics do you prefer?
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2011, 06:17:53 am »

ASCII, because tilesets just confuse me, and because playing with them just feels wrong.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2011, 06:20:34 am »

ASCII, but with changed color values so dark colors are visible and brown is actually brown.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2011, 09:19:00 am »

Ironhand with genesis mod only, and Standard ASCII with vanilla version.
Iron hand makes it a little easier on genesis mod due to large number of creatures and also because looking at 40 letters coming at you is a bit annoying when they have the same icon but are different things.
ASCII on vanilla because im used to no graphics on my vanilla version, which is surprisingly easier to read than some graphic packs.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Lebestier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2011, 04:08:37 am »

Phoebus cronelated 3D tileset and Ironhand for units.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2011, 05:27:43 am »

I use default ASCII. I tried using graphics sets for a while, but I found that it made the playing screen really big on my old monitor (which was a small, square thing. Mayday graphics for instance clipped off the edges of the screen) and at times it was actually harder to understand than the default Curses. The other thing that turned me off tilesets was floor tiles instead of periods, objects instead of letters, weird stuff like that that made it hard to read the commands in the menus. I like the work that goes into graphical sets, but I just can't use the things. Plus I like using the letters for people since I can sort of imagine them as how they're described rather than seeing them as they are presented.

Different strokes, I guess.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2011, 02:21:37 am »

I remember when I moved from default ASCII to a square set.
My rooms that previously looked square were suddenly rectangular. :P

Now, I use Phoebus' tileset.
I don't have any of the problems that the ASCII purists mention; when I see a green 'g', it's a goblin. And likewise with the per-class tileset images. They're very recognizable.
I guess it just takes getting used to.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2011, 04:51:58 pm »

I've been using Ironhand, I might try Mayday or Phoebus for a change.  Reading an ASCII map sober just results in headaches, and the last time I played Dwarf Fortress drunk my mail lady got caught in a cage trap.  Took some fast talking to get out of that one.

Seriously, though, I don't get all this that using the ASCII promotes imagination.  Reading ASCII is like reading a foreign language: All that time I spend translating the symbols is time I'm not spending imagining the Saga of The Ashen Bulwark.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2011, 04:59:30 pm »

ASCII! Well, I use the DF starter kit, but it's basically a different font with ASCII.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

UristMcScholar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2011, 03:51:42 pm »

I prefer the original, unbeatable ASCII graphics.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2011, 04:10:57 pm »

I've been using Ironhand, I might try Mayday or Phoebus for a change.  Reading an ASCII map sober just results in headaches, and the last time I played Dwarf Fortress drunk my mail lady got caught in a cage trap.  Took some fast talking to get out of that one.

Seriously, though, I don't get all this that using the ASCII promotes imagination.  Reading ASCII is like reading a foreign language: All that time I spend translating the symbols is time I'm not spending imagining the Saga of The Ashen Bulwark.

It's the same as with any language; once you have a good grasp of it, you don't spend anytime translating anymore.  You just think fluently with the symbols.  On the other hand, the main reason I don't use graphics packs is because of all the extra time I have to use distinguishing different tiles, so your point works both ways. 
Some people just think and learn visually vs. textually vs. verbally etc.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2011, 01:29:24 am »

Well, default ASCII for me :D   Well... with square tiles, i didnt like working with rectangles.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2011, 05:33:24 pm »

ASCII but squared, specifically Cheepicus's tileset.  I like having the same sympbols for everything that I'm used to and if I want to know what something is I can look on the wiki instead of having to wonder.  I am also used to it and for lack of a better explanation I find it 'flows' better on my eyes then having little symbols.

I just don't like having them not squared and I find the default hurts my eyes to look at and I like the more muted colors of the version I use, but all the symbols (save dwarves I guess, they are a slightly different happy face) are the same so far as I'm aware.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]