Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Stockpile Hacks: The Undump  (Read 68008 times)

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile Hacks: The Undump
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 04:38:24 pm »

I'm not sure that's entirely necessary. Even though the dwarves will continually drop crap, with each iteration they will get it closer to the stockpile.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 04:44:57 pm »

and what would be the problem with a dwarf reaching the empty stockpile? at worst, you have to manualy "reset" that stockpile by removing the item from the last slot, when the dwarf placed an item there.

The dwarf shouldnt have ANY problem to leave that stockpile. The hatch will be closed sooner or later, so you just have to give them a path out of the channel.

to clean the stockpile, i would recommend a gatway.

####
SD_D_
##d#
##L#
####

#=wall, S = our Stockpile to be emptied, d = "gateway"dump, L = Lever connected to both doors and the hatch, D = Doors. 1 open, 1 closed.

to clean, send a dorf to pull the lever -> dorf is trapped and has access to the stockpile. Dump the item you want to remove and let him pull the lever again. The stockpile is accessable for all again and is uncluttered. Now you can unforbid the stupid item, that you dumped into the gateway, where it is accesseble for all dorfs again.

I'm not sure that's entirely necessary. Even though the dwarves will continually drop crap, with each iteration they will get it closer to the stockpile.

you love job-cancelation-spams? we dont ;)

roboHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 04:49:31 pm »

To combat the danger of a dwarf falling chain up a kitten under the hatch. I'm pretty sure he will bounce off.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 04:57:32 pm »

you love job-cancelation-spams? we dont ;)

I always turn off job cancellation announcements.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 06:16:53 pm »

If you're using this, the entire intent is to cause job cancels.  You're going to see a lot of them.

If the pressure plate delays its off signal, then there will be no trouble like I said before, in which case ignore all that.

Framerate will suffer, briefly.  Once everything gets stocked, then it should return to normal.  You could possibly encourage better framerate by adding a hatch on the outside of the pressure plate, so that when the dwarf re-paths it will only cover like 2 squares, but this of course will cause issues when using multiple dwarves, some will invariably fall through the hatch.  A locked door can be used as an alternative path, for any workers who need to retrieve items from the quantum pile.

EDIT: Overall though, I'd say "bite the bullet and endure the FPS hit" because it will only happen once.  If you're stocking stone, then all the stone will get stocked and then it's done, and you'll only see more FPS hit when new stone is generated.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:18:25 pm by Girlinhat »

Garky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 08:45:05 pm »

This is brilliant. Kudos!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:38 pm »

Very clever.

You could also combine this with some additional mechanics to build a device for specifically destroying certain objects.  In place of the first stockpile (where the objects are dropped) place another floor hatch, over an atomsmasher or magma lake or something.  Now, you'll need that hatch to open only after an object has been dropped on it, when the dwarf is walking away.  Something like so might work:

Code: [Select]
#####
+D^D#####
####^hhs#
+++h#####
#####

Here the dwarf enters through the southern chamber, heading for the stockpile.  He walks over the closed floor hatch in the southern chamber, then steps on the pressure plate.  This opens the floor hatch in the southern chamber, the floor hatch just before the stockpile, and both doors in the northern chamber.  The dwarf proceeds onto the still-closed floor hatch just to the east of the pressure plate, then stops because his path is blocked. Job canceled, the object gets dropped, and the dwarf heads back out of the chamber, by the now open northern path.  On the way out, the dwarf steps on the second pressure plate, the one in the northern path, which opens the floor hatch that the object was dropped on.  The object falls into the atomsmasher or magma lake or chamber containing a burning plump helmet man or whatever.

The two doors in the northern path stop any dwarf from stepping on the second pressure plate except just after dropping an object on the floor hatch it controls.

I haven't tested this in-game yet, but it should work.  By adjusting what is permitted in the stockpile, you can use this to selectively, automatically destroy a specific class of items.  Sub-masterwork furniture, pig tail socks, dimple cups, whatever you don't want around.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 09:05:05 pm »

This is truly a mechanical marvel.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 09:26:41 pm »

Discovered a problem.

Every once in a while your dwarves will drop an item right on the pressure plate instead of on the stockpile.  If this happens, that item will generate jobs but will never get moved.  You can forbid, dump, or move the item to a different stockpile to get stuff back on track.  So unfortunately, this isn't entirely fire-and-forget.

Sphalerite, you and I are totally on the same page.  I just built a working version for hole-dropping-- but mine is slow as hell, requires a memory cell, and uses ten hatches, two doors, and four pressure plates.  At least it's foolproof (but not catproof).  Hopefully your build works as well-- sometimes I don't even remember why I decided against a simpler plan.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »

########
^shsshs^
###ss####
^shsshs^
###ss####
^shsshs^
########

Very close. There's still the problem that multiple dwarves will try to use the same pressure plate/hatch hallway. This is what I'm going to use in my next fortress - my current designs in my current fortress were hard to design and build, but work like a charm once built so I'm not tearing them down.

########
^shsshs^
########
^shsshs^
########
^shsshs^
########
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 05:18:06 am »

So far, my refuse stockpile is mostly working, though I accidentally set the threshold on the pressure plates too low and let cats wander in to kill vermin, which take up stockpile space on the far side.

On the other hand, none of my food stockpiles are generating stockpile requests on either side of the plate.  I've got an "E" shaped config, and all I've got is one empty barrel on the top right part of the "E."  Suggestions?

(edit:  Never mind.  I had another food stockpile elsewhere that was taking higher priority despite a "take from" order.  Disabling it seems to have fixed the issue.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:58:36 am by Valdrax »
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 07:44:34 am »

I tried to build one, but its not working. I think that its something to do with how i did the pressure pad, because I linked a lever to the hatch and that worked, so what settings do i need on the pad? (Im fairly new to mechanics)

Cheers

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:46 am »

Every once in a while your dwarves will drop an item right on the pressure plate instead of on the stockpile.  If this happens, that item will generate jobs but will never get moved.  You can forbid, dump, or move the item to a different stockpile to get stuff back on track.  So unfortunately, this isn't entirely fire-and-forget.
When exactly dwarf cancels job? When the hatch opens or when he reaches open hatch? This may need some tuning like building order (I believe plate built after the hatch will take one step longer to close it, but better consult wiki on this matter).
Also this can be solved by second such stockpile.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 10:17:46 am »

Mine seems to be malfunctioning. I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong, but everything is just getting dumped on the pressure plate, rather than in the stockpile. I even tried changing from a north-south oriented version to a west-east, like the original diagram. Any suggestions?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Locke

• Bay Watcher
  • Disregaurd Women, Apply Magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 10:35:22 am »

Yeah. I've found that my more agile dwarfs seem to get this working just fine, however my slower dwarves (if if they're carrying something heavy) all drop it right on the pressure pad. This wouldn't be a problem if we could stick a stockpile under a pad, but alas.
No, I am not Locke from Final Fantasy.
No, I am not Locke from Lost.
I'm from Ender's Game, Mofo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7