Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Comrade Shook and his very angry pixels  (Read 16539 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Comrade Shook and his very angry pixels
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 04:56:07 pm »

Thanks! Also yeah, there's something about it. But maybe kobolds are too dumb to not be happy???

Also, introducing JAMES THE ANGRY LASER EEL.

THIS IS HOW HE GOT HIS ANGRY POWERS.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 05:35:46 pm »

I'm trying to get into pixel art as well. Do you have any tips?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 02:13:24 pm »

Oh yes, plenty. Anything specific in mind? While you get around to answering that, here's a tutorial i concocted on another forum:

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=119235

Although somewhat outdated by now, i believe it retains some use. Also, there's more at the end of the fifth page.

And, as a little addendum, if you're trying to do something that isn't locked to the four cardinal directions, sketching it down free-hand can be immensely helpful. Just use a single-pixel pencil, then smooth out the resulting lines manually. JAMES up there is made like this, which might not be immediately evident. Doesn't matter if your hand is as rickety as mine (zooming in can mitigate it), you can always smooth it out on a per-pixel scale. (patience is key!)

Much, MUCH easier than drawing that line pixel by pixel. Feel free to ask me about stuff, though i can't guarantee that i have an answer to everything. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 11:52:03 am »

comrade shook has fabricated ROBOT DRAGON

he is not a nice dragon

in fact he wants to kill you very badly but is annoyed by the monitor blocking his path
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 12:43:11 pm »

Were you perhaps inspired by Skyrim?  :P

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 02:06:38 pm »

Yes, yes i were. :P
However, it is in fact EPRD (check the first post) with a new design. The old one bugged me, since it lacked the badassery that EPRD has. Which is an awful lot, given how he's one of the most feared beings in the world he resides in. All things considered, that's a hell of a feat.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 10:39:42 pm »

Hey, this stuff is awesome! Been trying to get into pixel art lately myself, so this is doubly neat.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 03:21:01 pm »

Thanks! I hope you'll find something useful here, else you can just poke me so i can poke you in the direction of the extremely basic tutorial i wrote somewhere. :U

Also, you know how the trend nowadays is to have monsters and demons be covert and unassuming?

His name is Feuron and he is most definitely NOT covert or unassuming. Image links to a big ol' profile of him.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 05:52:04 pm »

Could I get a little bit of constructive critisism, master. It's a game sprite.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 05:57:25 pm »

Wow, shook! I love your stuff!

(Also, you should hop on over and help out with Orthoclase and Microcline. Remember, as an artist, there's no such thing as compliments free of an expectation of unpaid labour in return. ;) )

(Also the laser eel is my favorite, I think. Larry is cool too.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:59:08 pm by GlyphGryph »

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »

Assuming you won't mind constructive criticism from other people as well, a couple things I noticed are that maybe the arm underneath the shoulder pad and above the elbow could use a bit of bulking up, and it's hard to tell how many fingers are on those hands. Maybe emphasize the lines between them, if that's what the lighter bits are?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 04:54:25 pm »

Ohey that's not bad at all! You definitely have some good shapes going. I do have a few things to pick out, however:
- The shading. It needs to uhh... Be there. Although i'm definitely not the guy to ask about spehs muhreens, i'm pretty sure their arms and legs are more or less cylindrical. Be a bit more bold with the highlights and shadows, it'll add a ton of depth. Like, more of the right side and less left side, though not necessarily as extreme.
- I'd add a little bend to the knees (if applicable, can't remember how spehs muhreens usually stand around), it makes things look more lively.
- Once done shading, add some random scratching here and there. It adds a surprising amount of niceness to the image.
- The feet kinda look like boats (i want me sum boatfeet), maybe make them a bit smaller and sort of going under the leg armor?
- Also what Vertigon said.

I'm really not very good at drawing humanoids myself, so i hope i've not given some kind of dumb feedback. :U

@Glyph: Thanks! Also, MAYBE I WILL, though i'm kinda busy being a useless piece of shit all day right now. Terraria just got updated (let's just say that i've spent 40 hours on it since i got the update five days ago), i just got a lot of new games, i've been poked to maybe make sprites for a game AND am trying to not fail catastrophically at my study. Fortunately the last part is going pretty well, but i still game a lot. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 04:07:41 pm »

COMRADE SHOOK PROVIDES MORE PIXELS

- Was having an art block, tried to counter with this.

- Shiny artifact weapons that i don't think look super impractical!!! (except the spear, but part of it being an artifact is that it never gets stuck)

That is all for now.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 04:42:21 pm »

Wow, those weapons are incredibly nice!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 05:18:35 pm »

Hey, Shook. How is my drawing?

My attempt at a sci-fi cosmonaut.

My Space Station 13 (Baystation 12 if you want to be specific) characters. Left to right: Sarah Calvera, Angelo Wilkerson and Michael Leary.

A sci-fi gun! I like sci-fi.

Yes, it is based on your reality levels, but even more Lovecraftian and depressing!

Me trying shading.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:23:20 pm by Fniff »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10