Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Comrade Shook and his very angry pixels  (Read 16527 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Comrade Shook and his very angry pixels
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:33:38 pm »

So yeah, some of you probably already know that i dabble in pixel art, but if you didn't, you do now. :P
I've finally decided to show some of my stuff, all of which can be found on my fancy-shmancy deviantArt page. But, for those of you too lazy to go there, i present some of the works i like best, oldest first. Hardly any 56k issues here, since most of my stuff only takes up 1-2 KB of space. :U

- In-game snapshot of a custom unit for the game Cortex Command. The limbs had to be done separately, so the shading isn't entirely coherent. (and if i made it today, i'd use MOAR CONTRAST)

- One (actually two, but yeah) of the many characters roaming around in the depths of my mind. His name is E.P.R.D, pronounced E-Pard. Very large, very tough, very hostile and VERY dangerous, as can be expected of a robotic dragon powered by the essence of a pissy demon! (note: would do proportions less stubby today, just been too lazy to do it)

- Isometric mindfuck, oh yeah!

- This is Jerry. He is just as absent-minded as he looks.

- The best tree i ever made. It started out as a green sphere, and got to this point in 11 documented steps. ELEVEN. That is very unlike me to count.

- This is Garry, Jerry's gentleman scottish brother. What, plants can't have siblings? NONSENSE. :D

- One of the few animations i've made, and it's a SMILEY. Not entirely happy with the withdrawal of the pan, but hey, i'm not an animator.

- And here's Larry, a more distant sibling of Jerry and Garry. He's stark raving mad and perpetually hungry, so stay away from him. :P

- My favouritest animation of my own, inspired by nothing less than Asterix & Obelix. It is also a good indicator of my usual mental state.

- Here's Dinko, a kobold (drawn very zoomed in, he's only a meter tall), about to poke some... thing. He's my first good attempt at improving with help of extensive criticism, but with my personality being like it is, i couldn't take it for long enough to actually finish the job. This is also where i started slapping grey backgrounds on EVERYTHING.

- And here is P.R-33, who is totally (genetically) unrelated to Jerry, glaring on an unfortunate Dinko. Approximately the same size as Jerry, but once again, very zoomed in when compared to my other stuff. The keen observer will spot an uncanny resemblance to EPRD, which is due to them having the same creator. P.R-33 lacks the demonic possession, though. Also worth noting is the unusual amount of effort spent on anti-aliasing the shading manually. NEVERAGAIN.JPG

- Mr. Baldie, showing off his newly acquired Mace of Epic Baldness. Notable for being the first close view of a human face i've ever made in pixel format(!!!).

- The most hardcore concept i've thought of so far: CYBORG HELLBEAR BAZOOKA CAVALRY. Made to celebrate 2000 views on dA (hence the 2000 in the fire). Yes, i did take reference from a bear photo, because i couldn't draw a bear for the life of me.

- Durpzilla, a gigantic lizard with the IQ of a doorknob with Downs. No arms, you say? That is correct. He does tip over occasionally, and sometimes he won't even notice it, even after plowing up a few miles of soil. He also happens to be one of the most dangerous beings if provoked, since he can breathe what amounts to a Cone of Nuclear Bomb. Fortunately for everything, he's incapable of malice due to sheer stupidity. This is also one of my all-time favourites, because of how smooth and clean it is, and the unusually low amount of flaws.

- MR RAGING MEGAPHONE. I really like how this character turned out, and i think he radiates a lot of personality COMEDIC RAGE. Also one of the extremely rare cases where pretty much everything ended up looking like i imagined it! (not to mention the unusual angle of the megaphone part, since i habitually draw things horizontally oriented)

- The first and currently only boss of my game-in-development-and-hiatus, in an in-game snapshot. Although only the thrusters are animated (and the tiny turrets track you around), i like the design myself. Bulky, alien and armed for bear.

- And this... Well, made it for 3000 pageviews on dA. I decided to make some of my characters portray the digits, and it goes like this: Jerry is doing a 3, Mr Baldie's shiny dome is a 0, Larry's gaping maw is another 0 and Garry's monocle makes the last 0. Garry really likes his monocle, hence the background appearance of him.

- This time, it's a big-ass gun. It's made for the humanoid robot above, and is made at a much later date. I would make the contrast greater, but i had a color scheme to follow. :P

- A more recent animation. Very simple, but i kinda like it. If i didn't have so many other game ideas in mind, i'd make a platformer with this guy!

- Finally approaching the present times, Urist McAxelord here was made specifically for DF, and stands as one of the best humanoids i've drawn so far. Also, someone pointed out that he needed to be shorter, but regrettably, i forgot his name! :C

- You might recognize this from one of my comics. Nothing particularly special about it, other than the size, which probably makes it the largest single object i've ever pixelled down.

- Finally, my most recent public thing. Drew it for Elderont in a thread, based on the description of the artifact. I quite like how it turned out myself. c:

OK there we go, thoughts and comments? Criticism welcome too, but please don't be too harsh about it, i have an issue with asshole critics.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Comrade Shook and his very angry pixels
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:44:20 pm »

Oh wow, some kickass pixelart here, mad props bro you have skills :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:42:41 am »

Thanks! :D
Also, forgot to show this avatar i made for myself.

Using it myself in other places, so yeah. It might bear a certain resemblance to a carp, so i can't quite decide whether to use it here as well. :U
And now, i shall see if i can make a copper ladle.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:30:54 am »

Thanks! :D
Also, forgot to show this avatar i made for myself.

Using it myself in other places, so yeah. It might bear a certain resemblance to a carp, so i can't quite decide whether to use it here as well. :U
And now, i shall see if i can make a copper ladle.

As a yellow fish avataree myself I approve of that avatar.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 11:06:30 am »

Well in that case... :P

Also, artifact copper ladle.

Oh yes. It pours beer like no other ladle. One day, i might actually make it pour into something. Maybe a dorf.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 07:51:47 am »

I like it! Really much! Better than what i make, and i even cheat with Paint.NET to get things straight, especially shading.
What did you use to animate the images?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 08:12:25 am »

Wow Shook this is amazing stuff. We have some great pixel artists here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:19:19 am »

Awesome! But for a moment there, I was like: "Ohgod wait, where's shooks avata- Oh."
Call in the CHBC! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:48:23 am »

Thanks a lot, guys! :D
Also, CHBC? Am confuse. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Meanwhile...
What did you use to animate the images?
Ulead GIF Animator 5, though nowadays i use GIMP, since it's free.

Also, here's a comparison between an axe made a few years ago, and the same axe re-made recently.

I think i've made a bit of progress. c:
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 07:28:22 am »

Hmmm, you're good. I really like your styles (that's a multiple, yeah). Especially the cyborghellbearbazookacavalry.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 04:19:06 pm »

Thanks! Also yeah, i'm having a bit of trouble keeping a consistent style. When drawing objects, i tend to lean toward the realistic side, while creatures and such get more cartoony. Probably because i couldn't draw realistic creatures for the life of me. :P

Also, if you ever wondered what's going on in my head, then here's a peek.

Well, the setting, anyways. It's lovely because it permits just about everything i can think of. As you can probably imagine, the beings get more powerful the further away you get from the middle. The upper planes are good, and the lower ones are evil. You can click the image to go to the deviantArt page where i posted it, which also has a meaty paragraph on each plane written down. The short version, in order of appearance:
- Benevolent gods
- Demigods
- Angels
- Our place
- Demons
- Abyssal demons
- Dark gods

All planes are virtually infinite, but the middle plane is unique in that it's fractured. Heavens help us if Toady decides to implement the lower planes, because any abyssal demon worth its salt is a high-ranking commander of the legions of hell. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 04:32:51 pm »

double post bwargh

Also, here's an abyssal demon.

His name is Ampersand. Once again, image is a link to much more extensive description.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 04:38:01 pm »

Posting to keep an eye for your creations.
They are awesome!
Especially the
CYBORG HELLBEAR BAZOOKA CAVALRY
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:39:32 pm by Ultimuh »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 04:18:44 pm »

Thanks man, glad you like them! Also, weee more Ampersand.

His three different faces, to be exact. I bet you didn't expect him to look like that under the cloak of darkness. :P

1. Normalface. This is how you want him to be, since he's least likely to kill you like this. Doesn't look very threatening, but mind you, he's still an abyssal demon. That means he's deadlier than anything you might encounter in Hell.

2. Pissed. Welp, somebody done goofed. Definitely NOT the being of choice to anger. Expect gratuitous amounts of violence when he wears this face.

3. Uncloaked. This is how his usual humanoid form looks without the cloak of darkness. Along with being a nasty sight, he also radiates pure terror in this form, generally making people run in the opposite direction of him. He's slightly easier to hurt in this state (still takes an awful lot though), provided that you don't shit yourself instead of attacking, which is a whole lot easier said than done. Also, don't look into his eyes (this image excluded, of course, pixels can't mindrape you like that), or your mind will be thoroughly fucked over.

Once again, the image is a link to an EVEN LONGER description.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 09:00:47 pm »

This is so very very very awesome.

Ampersand also sort of looks like a happy kobold in the first face. I wish all kobolds were happy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10