Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Glorious, glorious candy  (Read 18585 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] Glorious, glorious candy
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 10:33:26 pm »

These really look nice. Except the adamantine-in-microcline. That is just... horrible.

Naxza deserves a *bloated tuber biscuit* for all this ‼Broken World Science‼.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 11:41:34 pm »

This is my dream embark, forget the addy all i wanted was a few thousand Zlevels of sky to play with, is that tgoo much to ask?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 12:06:03 am »

I'm making a demand here.  I demand a flat, high FPS, infinite-sky embark from this world.  Flat optional, but mostly just any stable embark.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 02:28:49 am »

The first time i played around with a bugged embark i made a macro to automate fixing all the hell leakage, basically i would set dfhack to obsidian, place the game window to k over the tile i wanted to start, then alt tab to dfhack, click whatever button makes the obsidian, alt tab back to Dwarf fortress, move left one tile, alt tab, etc, with a loop for going down after every row of left, i set it so just putting in a number for x and y would tell the thing how far i wanted it to run, then i just set it and waited 20 mins while it casted over the bottom of the map (just above the glowing pits, i wanted to keep them) Thren it was a matter of manually plugging up the gaps in the ma edges where there was more overflow, i used a similar macro where control plus a direction key would obsidian a line 10 long in whatever direction...  I did also had to mess with DF's init for minimum key press or whatever it was so that the macro would actually work.
Anyway it worked well, but unfortunately i found patches all over the world with memory leaks that if onscreen would slow the fps to a crawl, i could designate stuff there and go away to somewhere unlaggy, but any attempt to view the area would cause massive time dialation. I'm not really sure what would happe to the poor souls that attempted to path through those areas.
Anyway, I'm going to play around and see if i can find a playable insanely high embark here. I'
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 08:34:43 am »

Mind if I join the insane exploration team?

Because I just embarked on something I'm hesitant to call earth any more. Oh dear... will edit this post with full report.

EDIT: Or not. Try making an image-heavy post with connection issues. Might make a new post later...

In the meantime, here's a preview of things to come.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:19:41 am by SlimyMarmot »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2011, 05:04:30 pm »

I'd say down.  Tree felling and construction removal seems to work at the upper left and work down in rows.  Either way, we may increase chances of future world bugs by searching the lower right world for strangeness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2011, 05:22:35 pm »

I'd say down.  Tree felling and construction removal seems to work at the upper left and work down in rows.

As does the site finder.

Regarding the semi-molten rock squares poking down into hell, it's actually perfectly normal in cases with decently large elevation changes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2011, 05:49:05 pm »

Post the site/save please. My computer must suffer.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »

Here's a little survey of a slightly odd embark I mentioned earlier:

You thought this world was only wrecked below surface? Bodicerims begs to differ.

The initial view is promising: two spires of adamantine! The observant may note very suspicious shadows on the ground... no worries, we'll get there.

There seem to be several cavern-like chasms dotting the surface, most of which are dead ends. The largest manages to pass a small cavern layer to end at a second one. Though quite small, the caverns have little noteworthy features. The third (I think) layer is more interesting in the way of-

...damn. We've come to except this kind of shenanigans. Where's the magma sea, you ask?

Most uncomfortable. Let's have a look at the sky for a change, shall we?

50 levels above the surface, the two spires continue their climb upwards. But wait, what is that to the right?

Why, it's a web of grass growing goblin caps, tunnel tube and your other favourite cavern flora. 50 levels above the surface. Unsupported. Oh dear. It's probably an isolated inci-

Nearly every level has an assortment of floating cavern islands, with the adamantine spires not showing signs of stopping. The higher I go, the slower my ascension is. At levels beyond +300, it takes at least a second to view the next level. I stopped around there, and I have no idea how high the spires go, but there have to be hundreds of floating islands up there. The higher you go, the more it feeds on your memory and sanity.

Unsurprisingly, the embark is unplayable. This can be summarized in two parts:

1. The Magma Hell is going to take a lot of fluid calculations.
2. The entire atmosphere will come crashing down on your head

I'll see how high I can get before DF commits suicide.

Here's the area if you really have nothing better to do.

EDIT: The spires are 905 levels high. One of them cuts off somewhere around the 500-area. Tasty.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:32:41 pm by SlimyMarmot »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2011, 07:46:14 pm »

[CAVEINS:NO]
[FLOATINGISLANDS:YES]

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »

I just tried to plop an adventurer down there. I started on the edge of a massive slide overlook, with magma pouring on my head. FPS flatlined after moving a few steps.

Was coo though.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2011, 08:37:49 pm »

This is pretty damn glorious.  Floating islands hovering in the air, growing nothing less than CAVE TREES!  I cannot express the amount of awe I am struck by...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2011, 08:41:53 pm »

Holy Double-Posts!
...Batman!

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2011, 09:35:03 pm »

This may have been mentioned earlier, but I downloaded the save and devoted myself to collapsing the spire, and noticed that pieces of the spire suddenly became made of "Unknown Material".

EDIT: After collapsing about 3 z-levels of the spire, the entire above-ground portion of it just disappeared.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:39:49 pm by A Spoony Bard »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2011, 06:24:15 pm »

A bit belated, but a life outside of !!science!! reminded me of its existence.

I don't at all mind this thread being hijacked with findings on what my bugged world has done; seeing my findings turn into so much more than I thought it was is just incredible. Continue on! :D

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6