Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Glorious, glorious candy  (Read 18750 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
[SPOILERS] Glorious, glorious candy
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:53:22 pm »

So Dwarf Fortress called to me again after a long hiatus. I make a new fort, with a brook and large amounts of trees and the mineral abundance cranked up to the max...

And then I look over my area and OH MY GOD IS THAT A

Spoiler: Yes it is! (click to show/hide)

The spire goes up only another z-level or two from where I showed it, but the visible addy - including the underground - is at least 40 z-levels, and the addy stops being visible at +76 but the embark goes down to -1. When I unpaused I got a 'a section of the cavern has collapsed!' warning at around z-level 81 a little to the left of the tube but no demons.

WARNING: I stopped going up at around +1006. This embark is TALL. It's only a 3x3 embark, which might mitigate some of the height issues, but this embark is really, really tall.

If anybody wants it, here is the embark.

ETA: This world seems to be gloriously bugged, in the 'magma sea emptying into Hell and other Fun things' sort of way, on several embarks tried other than this one; see various posts later on in this thread. The potentially infinite sky appears to be universal. Proceed with !!science!!, and set initial save to YES when setting down exploratory embarks.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:46:06 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] Glorious, glorious candy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:05:16 pm »

Congrats on the find, I've yet to discover one myself. How is the fps? Usually candy spires always have very low fps for some reason.

Also, any other info about the embark? Mountain? Forest? Hot? cold? ect...

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
  • BEER FOR THE WOLF LORD...?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »

I tried good and my fps was about the 90s range. It's a shame it's not as tall as other spires. I tried dfreveal and digged a bit and that didn't release the clowns. Also saw a cave dragon in the magma sea. Looks like you discovered the safest way into circus or you put 0 clown types.
Quote from: Corvidae
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:15:36 pm »

I have this idea that with 300+ z levels above I could make a very nice dwarven sky colony and flood the world with magma but at the same time it seems like this would be a very bad idea.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 06:28:22 pm »

Sometimes you get a bugged map with an exposed cavern and rivers dumping into the underworld.

Other times you get adamantine spires surging straight from the ground.

Glory to the Toady One!

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:39:02 pm »

What are the soils and stone layers like?  Any clay, sand, flux, or metals?
How deep is the magma?
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:45:26 pm »

What are the soils and stone layers like?  Any clay, sand, flux, or metals?
How deep is the magma?

Soil's fairly deep, stone's I don't know yet, there's clay, the embark search said it had flux but the embark overview said it didn't, the mineral scarcity was set to 100 so there's metals galore (the embark overview said shallow and deep metals), and I think magma is about 100 levels below where the wagon starts unless there's a magma vent because the wagon's at +117 and the bottom layer of Hell is -1.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:46:02 pm »

I have this idea that with 300+ z levels above I could make a very nice dwarven sky colony and flood the world with magma but at the same time it seems like this would be a very bad idea.
In Dwarf fortress, there are no bad ideas unless they end up crashing the game.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:56 pm »

So wait, this embark is an un-justified 1k+ Z levels of open air?  There's nothing that high, just blank space for over a thousand layers?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:45:10 pm »

Good madam, this has all the makings of a legendary embark location. Congratulations on such a find.

Oh my. :D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:50:26 pm »

Worldgen only allows 100 levels of open air.  I have no idea how this is possible...

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 08:54:19 pm »

You know, it would be awesome if there were an actual advanced world-gen option to get random height addy tubes, rather than needing to find bugs.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 09:05:35 pm »

Worldgen only allows 100 levels of open air.  I have no idea how this is possible...
When you breach Hell it'll be empty.

They will come from above.

They will not be demons.

They will be A̛͖̭͇̰̪̔ͩ̈ͮͣ͢N̳̩̼ͤ̏ͯ͗͐̌͘G͍̯̠̏̈́͗̿ͩ͑̓E̹͙͋͟͡͞L͍̳̲̩̞ͮ̽ͧͩͬ̏ͨͣ͊͘͘͞S̻͔̬͖̪̐͊ͮ̾ͮ̀͡

W̢̨̒̈́̒͑͐ͬ̄̉͑ͭ͏҉̬̥͚̭̣̖̣̮̪̘ͅE̡̛̠̜͓͓̼͙̥̜͕̯̺̖̤̟͙͖̅ͧ͊̓͆̄ͤ̋̌̿̆̾̏̂̉͟ͅͅ ̸̫̘̠̳̖̦ͦ̾̿ͤ̀̚͟Cͧͪ͛̃̌ͪ̃͏͙͖̗̻̠̮̞̫͍̣̣̬̘͢͢͡Ò̷̢̭͚͔̹̘̙̹̠ͬ̈́͗̓͛ͧ̃̐̄͆́̈̽M̴̫̳̙̦͈͚̮͇̳͒͂̎̾͛͐ͨ͒̃ͩ̏ͥ̃̎̚͘͟ͅE̻̤̯̥͎͔̠̟͑̉͑̂̔͂̍ͪ͛͑̌̾ͤͮ̇̚̚͞͝ ̵͐̏͒̂͌͌̒̏ͦ̍͗ͬ͜͏̥̹͍̱̝T̯͍̫̗̩̗͍̟̲͉̼̬̰̄̈́̔ͦͧ͂ͩ̄ͦ̌̽̿͗̐̒̀͜͟Ǫ̥̠͎͕͚͉̺̺͙͔͉̤̬̗̤̱͗̈́̒̿̄̓̍̋̆̂ͣͧ̔ͫ̇̂̀̚͢ ̶̳̫̬͍͖͖̥̭͇̰̭̮͎̲̺͔̙͈͑̋͊̃̒̌ͪ̇ͦ͊̇̈̇W̢̧̩̺̙͔͈̖̠̺̰̆̽͂ͫ̈̆̆͌ͧͭ͝E̲̥̣̜ͬ̃́͛͛̃̽ͯ̚͜͢͡͝L̴͂ͤ̓̌ͭ͑͋̓̿̿ͨ͂̀́҉̹̥͎̠̝͇͘Ç̠͔̗̼͎̠̳̱͍͈̪͈̞̤̱̓̄͆͆̓͊ͭͫͫ̈̔͞͝͡O̢̥͓͉̳̩͇̟̞̮͂̈́̾M̵̸̝̱͎̱̺͔̥̖͙ͭ̇͊ͣ͊ͧ̕E̸̛̝͔̼̯̯ͩͦͨͦͮ͂ͩͫ̃́̚͜͡ͅ ̧͙̣̗̳ͫ̿̉̒̉̽̕͜͢Y̴̸̭̳̻͚͚̪͇̳̭͙͚̅̾̎ͧͧ̑ͮ́̂̓ͬͮ̄̚O̻͇͍͓̭̹̺̳͙̰̻̜̝̬͈͙ͧͦ̐ͣ̍̑͛̾ͪ͆̊ͤͥ̍̓̔́̕͘͡U̵̜̟͕̗͈͉̖͕͚̲̯̝̱̪̞̱͆̓ͬ͛̾̈͑̄̾ͩ͘͜͞ ̷̛͉̮̰̥̬̬̩̱͕͈̮̣̣̜̲̦̘͕̬̐̀͆̽̊̒͗̓ͩ͛̆̎̆ͮͮ͗͛̿͘͠H̨̢̉̾̉͆ͮͧ̽̌̓̐̔̋͆ͧ̚҉̦̗̪̟̗̤̱̞̣̮̦͙̖ͅǪ̸̷̸͎̱̙͍̘̻̮͙̹͇͎̞̞̬͋ͭ͌ͬ͟ͅM̡͚̻̞͓̝͖̹̘̦̮̟̙̰̟̰͓̐̽͒͊ͤ̄͑̓ͬ̾̊̿̕͝͡E̺̗̰̭̥̞͙ͫ̀̍ͪ̽̀͡͠.̵̺͖͇̺̟̱͉̤͖̯̯̰̭̞͕ͮ̐̽̈̋̾̉ͬ̿̔̽̑̚͠ ̠͕̼̖̮̻͕̱͙͖̜ͩ̇̽̓ͦ͑͊̿̌ͭ̈́ͯ͘͞͠Y̸̟̗̣̺̬͎̟̹̗̪̮̯̊̎̍ͫ̏ͥ͜ͅͅÖ̷̘̞̥̻͕̩͚̠͚̖̲́̊̊́̂̿̋̂͆ͨ͆ͤ̓ͧ̾͗ͪͨ̈͞ͅƯ̡̎̒̈ͣ̒̅͞͏̰̻̳͕͈̪̬̰̟͉͓͖̹̱̜͇̟̹͕͟Rͨ͆̿̈́͋ͬ̓̓̎̉͆̂ͭ͐͌̓̎̚̕͜҉̸̩̻̮̺̹͉̺̘ ̵̺̥̣̱̦̩͙̤̳̙̟͍͍̦̠̳̣͉̻͆͆̉͆ͩ͆̅͋ͦ͐ͫͥ̄̑ͬͦR͖̩̻̳̰͕̔ͣ͗ͬͨͪ̿̾ͭ͜͞͠E̶͎̺̪͍̲͌̌͂̈́̀D͆̈̅̍ͧ̈͗ͨ͗̒̐͋ͬ̄͐͠҉̴̳̟̲̤̪̣̟̝̣̗͕̞̲̠̹͓̙̕͞E͒̉̇ͩ̈́҉͏̮̭̙̫̜̙̣̝͟M̨͔̳̤͎͔͈̬̺̻̰͕̠̩̬͍̱̟ͧ̿̌̽͒̓ͫ͋̌͌̆̆̆ͨ̋͒ͮͅP̦̫̭͉̮͔̃͑̎͛͗̏͐̿̇̊̌̇̄͟͠T̡̛̙͔̥͓͕̖̟͖̠̟̼̦̬͖̘͍̺̈͌͋̃̊̈̉͟͟͝Í̛̫̼̙̼̩̤͔̪͔̣̼̲̻̜̝ͧ̓͗̓ͧ͊̏ͥ͌ͬͫ́̚O̸͍͖̝̖̗͕̦͙̻͙͇͇̳͐͗͂̓͊͋ͣͫ̐̌ͨͪ̀̚̕Ņ̶̷̛͎̹̣̣͉̞͔̤̣̦̣̥̺̰̭̺͊̏͌ͧ̐͊̅͛̉̀͌ͨͩ̋̀ͅͅ ̴̶͍̻̖̰̪̠̗͓̠̱̻̙̖̠̝͊ͪͪ͂̆̏́̒ͭ̈́̐̑W̧̭̣͇̯̯̫̮͙̳̣̘͕̯̹̫ͫ͑͌̅̿̒̽͛ͪ̊ͤͨ͐ͪ͊̕͟I̸͗̏ͣ̏̈́̀̀̇́͆҉̴̷̙̮̝͇͇̟͙̻̠͍͓͔͎̰̙͘L̴̷̡̻̟̹̖͇̜̖̻̾̂ͧ̿̈́̂̆͞͝Ḽ̷̢̰̖̪̯͔̞͔̯̜͚̹͇̳͚͂ͪ͆ͬ͛̈́̈ͤ̊ͯ̃̂́ͩ͆͑͟͢ ̵̸̢̗̳̹͇͍̱̖̺̤̇̏̒͑͆̄̚͢͢B̶̹͉̫͈͒͐̓̌̃́͞E̵̩̻̗̫̫͎̻͖̗͚̗̞̣ͯͯͣ̔͑ͨ̓͟ͅ ̺̣̤̪͔̲̺͖̤͎̭̘̗̿ͤͭ͌̃ͧͭͫͣ͝ͅP̴͖͖̭̮̼͔̻͈̬̪͕̣̖̯͌̓ͥ̊ͣ̑͆̂͝ͅÀ̵̟͉̮͚̗̃̔ͥͮ̈̉ͩ͂͟͢I̍̈̀͛ͨͩ͏̷̛҉̴̮̜͚̗̩̼̫̭͇̝͙͖̼̦͈͍̥D̢͍̙̤̘̐̋ͧͧ̄̿ͤͯ͑͗ͪ̌ͩͬͯ́ ̵̧̢͎̦̥͕̠̺͈̬̀̄̿͂̄̓ͥ͂̈ͣͩ͌͗͘͡Į̩̼̙̯̩̰̞͓͓̄̆̂̀̊̈ͪ̚͟N̶̲͔̰̟̮͔͔͍̣̞͔͉̭ͪ́ͮͪ̉ͭ̅͆ͦ͗̄̕ ̞̫̬̬̱̭̗̉̉͊͂̀͝ͅB̴̡̥͍̰͉͔͗ͪ͋ͮ̔ͮ̒̑̽̓ͭ̾͒̍́͘͢L̩̻͉̣̜͙͍͕͎̝̥̰̯̤͖͚̊̈ͭ͊̇̂̒͛̈̇ͮ͆̓ͥ̚͜͡Ò̴͍̲̯͉̋͑̿̈́̋ͩ̅̓̓ͫ̒ͭͪ̀O͋̑ͣͫ͊̂̑͐̇ͫ͐̅̚͡͏̝͉̠̭͎̱͔̞̲̖̠͓̟̟̟̞̀D̶̛̥̱͙̤̬͖͉̲̜̭̩̯͙ͤ͊͆̒ͩ̿ͥͧ̅̍̌̀ͅ ̯̠̦͙̝̠̞̭͍̹̗̤̻̭͔̳̪͈̓̿͆̓̽ͤ́̓̉̀͑̔ͭ̚̚͜͢A̭͖̹̟͔͕̺̺̲̯̻̣̣͙͉̹̣̾̃̏͂͑̐̓̃̀͘͘͞͝N̨̨̛̠̣̪̳̘͈͇̭̰͇̪̻̗͔̻̣̱̿̎̐͋͑̓ͤ̏͋ͩ̆͒ͫ̐̔͆̓͂͞ͅD͌͑͐̐̎̑͒ͧ͋ͯͯ̆͜͜҉̣̪̠͓͖̗̟̲̼̣͙͕͖̭ ̨̥̳̟͉̼̙̈́͗ͬͨ͂͑ͬͩ͐̀̇̍ͥͫ̆͐̏̀̀͞T̸̏̏̏ͯ̀̑҉͍̙̮̖͠A̼̭̱̩̫̱͙̬̱͈ͫͣͤͩ͐́͊̆̽̅̕͟͡ͅX̸͕͇̲̘͒͆̾̈́̐̓ͥ̊̑̎ͩ͑ͮ̍̒͂͝ͅE̬͉͕̲͙͕͍̠̥͙̘͎̝̪̬̼̖͎̐̌͌̌ͥ̋ͣͩ͛͡S̥͔̗͎̗̟̪̺̍ͥ̒̿́̉̏͌̈̀̚͜ ̸̮̦̠̪̬̾̔̏ͮͬ͋͒͛͆̏͗ͫ͠A̢̠̥̯̬̞̣̙̮̮͉̲̬̬̯̟͚͎ͥ͌̋̒͋ͭ̿͆̐̇̔͗̌̎ͦ̒̓́̚͠ͅÑ̵͚͎͉̭̻̺̹͆͂̓̎͘͜͜D̴͍͔͉̭̼̜̖͓̥̻͓̺̼͆́ͬ̐̓̎ͧ͒ͣͦ̉ͨ̍̚͠͡ͅ ̥͙̙͈̞̫̣̪̦̖̝͈̞̠͙̘͑͆̈́̔̏͗̐ͧͥ̄̂ͨ͒̈̀͟͡P̧̜̖̠̲ͫ̈́̆ͣ͆̓̿̚̕͜Ỉ̶̬̦͍̙͚̪̳̙̠͉̫͊̑͗́͘͠͝ͅẔ̵̵̣̦͔͓͕̫̳̮̠̙͙̟͖̟͈͇̳ͧͭͮ̊̐́́Ź͌̉̀̔̑͏̧̖̻͇̗̙͎̙͈̹͖̞̝̹͔A̡̧͇͕͎̳͉̗̫̰̭͗̋̆̑́͋͋̈ͦ͂͒ͣ̌̐̍̌ͬ̎͒͟ͅ ̥͚͔͙̟̬̙̼̖̥̝̳̘̗̰̠͒ͭ͆̍͋̓̽̀͑̌́͟͜͝͠C̡ͦ͊̂̍͗̆́͏̧̛̱̼̻͕̮̮̟͍̳̲̮̝̫̱̀R̴ͨ̆̌ͥ̾́̌ͫͭ̍ͭ͡͡҉̗̺͕̖̯̹̺̱̦̫̱U̵̦̞͇̩̰̰̲̳̦͒̎̀ͭ͆ͫ͐̊̀͜͝S̶̸̑̿ͣ̃ͨ͢͏̡͔̭̲͖̤̥̠̞̣̯̪̗̳̙̻̰ͅT̵̡̼̺͕̹͖̺̖͓̭ͦ͂́̌ͣ͒̑̽̈͑̽͊̎Ŝ͎̙̟̫͉̤̘̬̝̳̖͇̘̯̠͉̤ͤ͐̊͐ͪ̈̂ͮͨ̃ͣ͂̍̅̕ͅ
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 09:19:07 pm »

Wait. So the magma sea decided to be in this guys first and only cavern layer, and then some adamantine decided to join the party?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 09:21:00 pm »

Having only one cavern isn't special, I always do advanced worldgen with 1 cavern.  All the caverns get compressed, with all the trees and creatures in the one cavern.  Better FPS and same content.  Well, I often play without caverns at all, really.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6