Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [v0.27.176.38c] Infinite world rejections bug, and worka  (Read 583 times)

wabbiteh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[v0.27.176.38c] Infinite world rejections bug, and worka
« on: March 02, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

I've only really tested this with 17x17 worlds, but I think it works for all sizes.

I'll just run through the steps I took to cause it:
Fresh DF install (or, alternatively just delete data\init\gen_info.txt and the save files)
Start DF -> generate custom world -> hit F6 to save settings into gen_info.txt -> generate a POCKET world
Once that's done: generate custom world -> generate a POCKET world
The second world generation should never end, and the map rejections log should be spammed with "Not enough peaks" and the occasional "Not enough low altitudes after shift up".

The simple fix is to delete data\init\gen_info.txt, [not sure if you need to do this part:] and then go back to the custom world generation screen and hit F1 to reload the defaults.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [v0.27.176.38c] Infinite world rejections bug, and worka
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 12:39:00 am »

Cool.  I've fixed this problem for next time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

Huh.  I wonder what was going on in the code.  That's a funny bug.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

It wasn't updating the reject conditions for parameters loaded from a txt (and if you have a world_gen.txt in init, it will automatically load those).  There are a number of variable numeric parameters for rejects now, instead of having them completely hard-coded, and at some point I'm going to add an interface to mess with them.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 02:54:00 am »

Same version as above, I seem to have encountered an infinite rejects bug.  All I was doing was repeatedly generating small and pocket worlds attempting to get that one perfect 'JUST FOR ME' site (though irrelevent, that is: with UGriver, AGriver, magma, pits, and some sort of chasm, best with some goblin fort or so, all in very high mountainous terrain, and must be sinister, haunted, or best terrifying.  And in 20 or less squares for my computer to handle it a bit easier.  Needless to say, I haven't found it yet.).  Anyway, I was doing so, and I decided 'hmm, I could speed this up with different dimensions', so I started making my own sized worlds.  I started with 17x257.  I made several of these fine.  I decided that took too long and I don't need polar caps anyway, so I went to 17x65.  This worked fine, I made several, but I decided, since there will be one major volcano per one of these small maps, to just stick to regular small and pocket sized ones.  I went back to small.  I got 300 rejects.  I pressed space to go back, and tried again.  Got to 200 rejects.  It used to never go into the hundreds.  Wierd.  Try again, bigger map, 65x65, go for a few hundred rejects.  Try pocket sized world, since they generate so quickly.  Wait 500 rejects.  Give up.  Report to Toady about the infinite rejects bug I seem to have inadvertently found.  Make absolutely sure by checking for many thousands more rejects, while typing up post.  Confirm.  Submit this post.

The main problem is that is is permanent.  Quitting and reopening has failed to fix it.  Now to do the fix as the guy suggested above, and continue...

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:29:00 am »

Hi!

So, the next version will have no seed compatibility, right?

Sorry for the repetitive question, but I am very much interested in the issue since some people share seeds rather than uploading saves, so that information will be outdated.

Deathworks

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:54:00 am »

From the looks of it I think the seeds will be the same because what happened is that the loaded-from-text was screwy (think about reading in the MIN_HEIGHT and MOUNTAIN_HEIGHT height numbers: you couldn't have moutains because they'd be lower than the minimum height).