Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about jobs and if Dwarves have prefered jobs + some newbie questions  (Read 996 times)

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, firstly there's a bug with taming animals or something... does anyone know exactly what animals so I can edit the files?

I'm just wondering if there is a downside to giving a dwarf with no experience in a job, a certain job. I'm not talking about dangerous things like medical stuff. Say like a mason or a weaponsmith... or make a dwarf just use pumps and haul and the likes. Other than it taking more time overall, is there any downside apart from lower quality goods?

Secondly, assuming I get a legendary soap maker or something and I decide it's worthless as of now, can I make him a miner and take off all other jobs for that Dwarf without him getting into a bad mood since he can't make soap?

Also, what jobs, other than medical and perhaps leadership/training/trading shouldn't I let new Dwarves do? As in, with a low mason skill the stone items will not be of high quality but it can be trained whereas with a low medical skill... my Dwarves will be butched like crazy.

I want to get more wood; does it respawn in the underground and overworld? If so, do you guys just use stone for the majority of your fortresses (as in items), keep in mind, I  barely make it to the first wave of immigrants before I think I've wasted a lot of the wood in my close areas.

Is there anyway to get a certain colour of stone? As in a golden coloured stone or a red stone to make walls from other than hoping to find it? Even by trading would be fine.

How does the domestic animal/egg and butchering stuff work? I mean sometimes in one game, I had one hen and one rooster, and she took up one nest box but in another, I chose three hens and one rooster and three nest boxes and nothing. As in the first time, she took up the nest box within say ten minutes of playing. The three hens were still there after the first immigrants arrived and not one nest box was claimed. Any reason for this?

But anyway, regarding the egg and butchering thing. I understand that you can designate the nest boxes to be ignored so the eggs will hatch (I think that's right) but... is there a way to control how many eggs hatch or see how many eggs are left in the box, assuming I left my dwarves take some eggs from the nest box?

About those damn plump seeds, I'm just completely confused. I mean I get them growing and store them. But anytime I try to brew a drink, it's telling me there isn't storage or fresh seeds (or basically the seeds are bad or something, forget the exact message). But even if I make about 8 or 9 barrels, sometimes I still get the message there isn't free storage after I instruct the Dwarf to brew me a drink (yes, there are seeds in the farm and the food storage). Oh and it says on the wiki I need bags... how do I create them or do I need to buy them at embark and trade?

Is there anyway to actually permantly avoid sieges (or at least conflict)? As in something like having a 40 tile long entrerance to my fortress and have it so if I see a siege or something, I can just pull up a drawbridge. But do the sieges ever go away, as in: Goblins arrive, they wait a few months and then leave? If so, around how long? If not... other than fighting, is there a way to get rid of them qithout having to fight? Like say I only had 40 dwarves or so, just a bunch of traps or magma? Speaking of magma, if I used that to pump onto the invaders, is there anything harmful about 1 depth magma?

And finally, the butchering thing, is there a downside to having a no skilled butcher other than we get worse overall food?

And thank you for any help I get.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

anything with the [pet_exotic] tag is technically un-trainable in vanilla due to the noble bug

with inexperience they will just make crap till they get better. yes doc's will butcher your patients...or at least sew them up only half repaired.

i dont believe dwarfs care about there profession (excluding miltary) to the point of bad thoughts.

medical, crafting, smithing and farming are the ones i usually use skilled labour for...its personal preference tho.

i only use wood for the things that cant be stone.....beds and bins (bins later on can be metal) and charcoal if no magma readily available.

use the wiki to check stone colors first.

i dont farm eggs much so cant help on that one.

you need the plump helmet itself not its seed to brew (and a barrel or stone pot that hasnt got anything in it).

you can mod the raws to turn sieges off

no skilled butchering just takes longer.

--Kattels.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for all that!
About the pet bug... in the Lazy Newb Pack, you have an option to turn exotic animals to "no" but at the embark screen it gives me the option to embark with some things like war eagles and the likes... is this normal or would using the LNP to put exotic animals to "no" be cheating (as in, it doesn't just fix the bug, it adds extra animals not normally obtainable)?

Okay, after looking at the wiki again at the plump helmets I'm still confused.
Telling a Dwarf to brew a drink or having them eat it, leaves the seed or spawn, that then goes into a bag and can be replanted, brewed again and thus replanted, right?
But how do I get bags? Or do I just embark with 2 or 3 and hope that'll last?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Bags are obtained from plants that give fibres, animals that can be sheered, and leather.  Pig tails are an underground plant that can be grown and turned into thread, and Rope Reed does the same above-ground.  Sheep, alpaca, etc, can be sheered at a farmer's workshop for thread.  Leather can be turned directly into bags.  Overall, check the wiki for "textile industry".

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I often have only 8 profession in my entire fortress.  It makes it a lot easier to know who is expendable.

x1 Mechanic (masterwork mechanisms make better weapon traps, which are the #1 defense against everything)

Mooks have mechanics enabled too so that they can reset traps, but are not allowed to use the workshop.

x1 Artist: Stone Detailing and Gem Setting.  An important dwarf for making the entire fortress fabulous.  Its the only dwarf with these enabled, so the smoothing of the fortress gets em to legendary before starting to engrave the entire thing.  The Mooks do the gem cutting, because better cutting skill results in more large gems, which are not useful.  Normal gems are what you want.

x1 Mason:  everything is made of stone, and masterwork tables make nobles happy.  Again, the Mooks have masonry enabled so they can construct massive walls and floors, but they are not allowed to use the workshops.

x2 Mushroom Dwarf:  farming, cooking and brewing.  Legendary farming makes bigger stacks of food which results in more roasts per pile and more drinks per barrel.  Sometimes the mooks can get cooking enabled to make massive piles of tallow, but usually keep it off.

x1 THE NOBLE:  who is leader, manager, broker, book keeper and diagnoser.  has no jobs enabled.

x1 Smith:  weapon, armor and black smithing.  Furnace operation and wood burning are the realm of Mooks, but you need someone to make masterwork steel large scerraded disks!

x1 Carpenter:  who just might be a holdover from last version when wood was useful.  Now its only for beds and bins and charcoal, so dedicating a dwarf to it is silly.

x99 Mooks:  Every other dwarf in the fortress is a mook.  They have all the other skills turned on, and are not restricted to the burrow behind the traps.  They venture out into the dangerous overworld and sometimes die, but because they have no skills that exp matters in, it doesn't matter.  You can give them all picks so that they can kill wildlife and mine too!

just the way i do it.  come up with your own style.

-=-

bags are made from cloth or (easier) leather.  i usually embark with 5 hides and immediately craft them into bags.

Butcher a dog, acquire a raw hide.
an existing tanning workshop will autojob the hide and it will be turned into a tanned hide.
At a leather workshop turn it into a bag.

So yeah that's how the mushroom industry works.  the farmer plants the plump helmet spawn, which then grows into a mushroom, which some dwarf drags to the food stockpile.  It can then be eaten raw (resulting in spawn) or brewed into drink (resulting in spawn).  You can also take a bunch of mushrooms and cook them at the kitchen into an amazing plump helmet roast, which makes dwarves happy and can be sold at the trade depot for tons of stuff.  Cooking doesn't result in spawn, so be aware and don't cook your last mushroom.

-=-

more on the bag thing, if you are in a not horrible biome there's prolly rope weed on the surface.  gather plants to find some, then process it into thread at a farmer's workshop.  thread to cloth at a loom (beware the loom/cave/web bug) and then at a clother's shop into a bag.  make many many bags so you can keep seeds and sand in them.  extra bags can be built in dwarf bedrooms to be used as containers.  (and then you can reacquisition them when you need them and dump all the dwarves stuff in a messy pile in the room.)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is also an old bag-getting exploit involving getting a bunch of sand at embark. Sand costs less than bags, but comes with a free bag to hold it.  Of course you still have to figure out something to do with the sand--wood furnace +glass furnace= nice glass stuff early on at the cost of some trees and you get the bags free.

However I think your real brewing troubles comes not from the bags but from the barrels--plump helmet spawn doesn't need bags, they can just toss it in a stockpile.  Beer and the like (liquid food) needs a barrel or a stone pot (barrels are made at a carpentry shop, large rock pots at a crafts shop, large clay pots at a kiln and large glass pots at a glass furnace)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

Also, what jobs, other than medical and perhaps leadership/training/trading shouldn't I let new Dwarves do? As in, with a low mason skill the stone items will not be of high quality but it can be trained whereas with a low medical skill... my Dwarves will be butched like crazy.

Actually, you can have untrained dwarves assume medical or leadership jobs without the kinds of trouble that you might imagine. All that happens is that they take longer to get the jobs done. A noob doctor won't butcher the patient, but the patient might get an infection while waiting for wound dressing.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile

I typically have a huge fort (200+ dorfs) and I usually use Therapist to just draft people I see not doing a thing for whatever job is needed. (Like mining, or my two architects are sleeping, or all five smiths are drinking and the mayor is about to scream that no one made his door.)

I've never noticed anyone outside of the military caring that they no longer get to dissect small vermin. I've also never noticed anyone dissecting small vermin. But beekeepers, dyers, cheese makers and the like - they have never complained, either.

And the only way anyone gets good at anything is like the answer to getting to Carnegie Hall, "Practice, practice, practice," so it is good to let your fish dissectors have a pick and turn on mining or whatever you need. Unless you have a need for all four of them fish dissectors. :)

Make many more barrels. I think that is my slow point in the beginning. I build the still and all is right, but I only make 10 barrels or something, and I am out of drink in no time and the repeat on the still has long ended.

I am no expert on eggs, but as I recall it is random when/if a hen claims a box. I've had seasons where no ducks, hens or peafowls claimed a box and then in the next there were seven filled boxes. I don't know of any fine control over them except in the z menu- kitchen where you forbid an egg for cooking. I do that for a season when someone claims a box and I want little birds. (They are tasty.)

Sieges - Well you can turn them off. But to your question, they do eventually leave if you are well walled/drawbridged in. Now, the liaison or other caravans may show up and either die to or kill said siege. And you may need to wait a long time for the siege to leave, so if you are not self-sufficient you may have issues.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

S!F

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For nest boxes: dwarves will take all eggs from the nest at once. You can either make sure no food stockpiles accept the eggs or you can forbid individual nests so you still have eggs to cook. I prefer the latter since eggs + tallow are only edible once cooked and they pair up nicely in prepared meals (mmm fried eggs), especially since I never cook my plants even after I hit the seed cap.

To forbid the eggs in individual nests from being claimed hit "t" to view items in buildings. Hover over a nest once a hen is sitting on it. It should look like this:
-stone nest box-
chicken egg #

Hit "+" to move down one line and highlight the eggs and then "f" to forbid them. You'll now have {chicken egg #}. Leave these alone for at least a season and see if they hatch. I usually forbid two clutches in Spring and if they haven't hatched by late Autumn I unforbid them. For the first year it's easy since my hens all flock to the first nest boxes I build but after that you just have to keep an eye on them if you want more chicks.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile

Hey, firstly there's a bug with taming animals or something... does anyone know exactly what animals so I can edit the files?

The bug is about the dungeon master (whom is supposed to be the only one able to tame exotic animals) not showing up in this version, so the workaround is to change the [PET_EXOTIC] tag to [PET] in the raws. You can change it even after world generation, in the raws of the saved region folder. If you don't want to do it manually you can look up the No Exotics mod.

I'm just wondering if there is a downside to giving a dwarf with no experience in a job, a certain job. I'm not talking about dangerous things like medical stuff. Say like a mason or a weaponsmith... or make a dwarf just use pumps and haul and the likes. Other than it taking more time overall, is there any downside apart from lower quality goods?

There is a hidden minor positive modifier for the quality, when dwarves work with materials and items they like. It gives them also the 'has been satisfied at work' thought, but other than this there's no other benefits.

Secondly, assuming I get a legendary soap maker or something and I decide it's worthless as of now, can I make him a miner and take off all other jobs for that Dwarf without him getting into a bad mood since he can't make soap?

Any dwarf can make any civilian job without any downside! You have to worry about bad thoughts only for drafted dwarves with civilian skills and no military skills, and off-duty military not-champion dwarves with military skills and no civilian skills.

Low skilled medics may perform poorly, but they won't kill their patients, at least not directly.

I want to get more wood; does it respawn in the underground and overworld? If so, do you guys just use stone for the majority of your fortresses (as in items), keep in mind, I  barely make it to the first wave of immigrants before I think I've wasted a lot of the wood in my close areas.

Yes, it's a renewable resource. Make sure you have some unmined soil under your above-ground woods for the growth of your trees, or just start an underground tree farm.

Is there anyway to get a certain colour of stone? As in a golden coloured stone or a red stone to make walls from other than hoping to find it? Even by trading would be fine.

There's yellow, bright red (hard to find, comes only in small amounts unless you have cinnabar on the map) and dark red. List at the bottom of this page.

How does the domestic animal/egg and butchering stuff work? I mean sometimes in one game, I had one hen and one rooster, and she took up one nest box but in another, I chose three hens and one rooster and three nest boxes and nothing. As in the first time, she took up the nest box within say ten minutes of playing. The three hens were still there after the first immigrants arrived and not one nest box was claimed. Any reason for this?

Sometimes the hens just take their time to claim the nest boxes, just be sure they're in the same pasture/burrow as the nests to avoid diligent dwarves bringing them back to their place.

But anyway, regarding the egg and butchering thing. I understand that you can designate the nest boxes to be ignored so the eggs will hatch (I think that's right) but... is there a way to control how many eggs hatch or see how many eggs are left in the box, assuming I left my dwarves take some eggs from the nest box?

Well, you can manually [t][f] on the nest box to forbid the eggs to avoid having them delivered in a food stockpile, or you can forbid the door of your henhouse. The eggs are treated as a stack, they will hatch all together/be taken away all together.

About those damn plump seeds, I'm just completely confused. I mean I get them growing and store them. But anytime I try to brew a drink, it's telling me there isn't storage or fresh seeds (or basically the seeds are bad or something, forget the exact message). But even if I make about 8 or 9 barrels, sometimes I still get the message there isn't free storage after I instruct the Dwarf to brew me a drink (yes, there are seeds in the farm and the food storage). Oh and it says on the wiki I need bags... how do I create them or do I need to buy them at embark and trade?

Seeds will never go bad, it's just really easy to overproduce them and occupy barrels/pots that could be used for booze. Bags help you store them more efficiently, you can make them our of leather at a leatherworker's shop, or out of cloth at a clothier's shop. You can reserve the amount you want of spare barrels with the 'reserved barrels' option on the [p] stockpiles menu to have some always empty and ready to be filled with booze.

Is there anyway to actually permantly avoid sieges (or at least conflict)? As in something like having a 40 tile long entrerance to my fortress and have it so if I see a siege or something, I can just pull up a drawbridge. But do the sieges ever go away, as in: Goblins arrive, they wait a few months and then leave? If so, around how long? If not... other than fighting, is there a way to get rid of them qithout having to fight? Like say I only had 40 dwarves or so, just a bunch of traps or magma? Speaking of magma, if I used that to pump onto the invaders, is there anything harmful about 1 depth magma?

You got it right: they will wait some months before giving up. But another siege may show up right after they left, leaving you effectively in some kind of perma-siege status. Traps and long corridors and long corridors filled with traps do fine against goblins and trolls and ogres, and designing your own defense system can be really satisfying, but if you don't feel like coming up with your own there's plenty of examples on the wiki and the forum. 1 depth magma melts off feet and the fat from them/burns flammable shoes and may kill goblin sized creatures with blood loss, but it's prone to evaporating.

And finally, the butchering thing, is there a downside to having a no skilled butcher other than we get worse overall food?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: master butchers -seem- to be able to scrounge up edible meat from small animals like ducks and macaques (at least, it happened on one of my fortresses, and i'm sure it wasn't meat bought from caravans. It's something that needs extensive testing). For any creature bigger than peafowl/turkeys, even a no skill butcher will do. If you get a master butcher migrant is cool, but not worth the hassle to level one, unless you end up with one from having a massive meat industry. Just butcher bigger animals  :P If you worry about the speed of the job, titans and such will take a long time to butcher anyway.