Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: megaproject idea: lava lamp  (Read 1535 times)

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
megaproject idea: lava lamp
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:30:37 pm »

Is there a limit to how much abuse a volcano can take?
Getting clear glass blocks is simply a matter of patience and keeping the colony stable.. but, it'd be for naught if the volcano gave up before I finished rebuilding it.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: megaproject idea: lava lamp
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 08:01:11 pm »

Erm..
..TELLING us what the megaproject is would be a great idea.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:04:54 pm »

sdasd
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:37:28 am by Benedict Hardy »

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:07:07 pm »

Yeah, see..
If it worked like an ACTUAL Lava-Lamp, it would also mean somehow making Magma create gigantic bubbles.
And that would have made me 10x more interested.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:08:31 pm »

sdasdasd
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:37:23 am by Benedict Hardy »

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 08:14:46 pm »

Make it with an SMR floor, then drop obsidian made from an obsidian generator through the top so that you can make bubbles.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Garky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 09:00:37 pm »

Do I recall correctly that when volcanoes refill to their normal limit, it shoots little columns up a few z levels in the air randomly? Perhaps keep the top ~3 layers perpetually drained and let the game's natural bubbling effect run its course.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:26:34 pm »

Do I recall correctly that when volcanoes refill to their normal limit, it shoots little columns up a few z levels in the air randomly?
No, that doesn't happen.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 11:43:02 pm »

yeah.. pretty much cut away a few dozen levels of natural obsidian and replace it with a glass tower. if it goes well, I might consider a more ambitious version next time..
 I'd imagine once you got some practice you'ld have a tower of the finest craftsdwarfship, menacing with spikes of you-know-what, with rooms in the base for at least the more interesting members of the population.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 08:08:37 am »

Build a tall glass column with two chambers, one on top of the other.  Have a single tile hole that connects the top to the bottom (with a magma-proof hatch controlled by a lever to keep the magma in the top chamber until you're ready).

Have a magma-proof pump stack running through the center of the column in both chambers.  (You will need a second pump stack to load the top chamber with magma.)

Fill the top chamber with magma, then open the hatch.  Magma will pour down and gradually fill the bottom chamber.  Once the magma gets high enough in the bottom chamber, it activates a pressure plate, which turns on the pump stack in the column, which pumps the magma from the bottom chamber back up to the top chamber, restarting the cycle.
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 11:59:33 am »

What I see that can be done is to have a drainage pipe going through the middle of the bottom of the lava lamp. After if refills, just open up the valve and drain a Z or 2 of lava once in awhile to simulate some bubbling within the lamp. It may require draining the whole pipe first, and then building the necessary parts first. Then again, I haven't done any obsidian casting or anything involving intense magma use yet myself.

Other options could be like mentioned before, a complex pump stack that spirals the magma up top of the monument, and then let it drop down and continue churning with spots of yellow magma mist spraying here and there to fill in the blanks within the lamp.

Either which way, this can cause havoc fun with your FPS.

EDIT:
Either which way, let's hope your dwarves are quick enough to drain the pipe, replace obsidian walls with glass, and ensure it's airtight before the next refill happens.

Might as well use up the new magma each time for an obsidian farm, or a way to boil the lower cavern layers of any inhabitants.

Oh right, are you going to be using glass windows or glass walls? Because one can support the obsidian cap on top, the other cannot.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:11:37 pm by Itnetlolor »