Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Board Gaming  (Read 19595 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Board Gaming
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2011, 06:57:18 pm »

Also, Settlers is not a "little" game... jesus, games with 4 players usually end up being 2h+ over here... but like I said, analysis paralysis. What REALLY irks me is the downtime and the fact that you don't do many meaningful choices during those 2h+. Trading alleviates that somewhat, as does the 5/6 player expansion, by allowing you to build afterwards.

Use the event deck. It'll give you something to do when it's not your turn.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2011, 10:59:39 pm »

Wow

I was outright attacked by my Dad who says that the boardgames I play suck because not a lot of people buy them.

I then said that the vast majority of REALLY popular boardgames, the kind of that get millions of sales, are games that are simple and that include the ages below 12. While a complicated game where even learning the rules, or basic strategy, likely won't sell anywhere close to that no matter how good it is.

I don't know... it was a weird arguement where I was trying to say that just because something is good, or even REALLY good, it doesn't mean it is going to be popular.

He's wrong because the 'hardcore' board games are actually capable of making millions of dollars, and are still immensely popular despite not being in every child's closet.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2011, 08:39:50 am »

How do I even go about even finding out how much these boardgames have sold?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2011, 09:46:36 am »

Worker placement games are slightly more brainy, and not particularly exciting. I've read an article that said Carcassone was not a game you should use to introduce people to boardgames, and I've kind of come to agree with them.

Interesting.  Honestly, I pull Carcasonne out not to convert people to boardgames, but mostly situationally because it plays quickly, and it appeals to people who have often decided "I'm not a boardgame person".  To that degree, where I've gotten people that don't normally game to actually enthusiastically agree to another game of Carc, I think I'd classify it as a decent enough "gateway" game.  At least in my experience.  Agreed on excitement level though, the theme is a bit of a snoozer.  We've often found that a lot of shit-talking and aggressive blocking/takeovers are a fine way to add a little excitement to Carc though. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2011, 12:23:13 pm »

How do I even go about even finding out how much these boardgames have sold?

Here's one lead: http://www.purplepawn.com/2009/02/board-game-sales-up-poor-analysis-runs-rampant/

One could also note that the FFG forum currently has 18471 members. If each of them buys one (1) game from FFG at an average price of about $50, that's close to a million dollars in revenue just from the ones who have gone online.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:25:54 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2011, 05:24:54 pm »

Worker placement games are slightly more brainy, and not particularly exciting. I've read an article that said Carcassone was not a game you should use to introduce people to boardgames, and I've kind of come to agree with them.

Interesting.  Honestly, I pull Carcasonne out not to convert people to boardgames, but mostly situationally because it plays quickly, and it appeals to people who have often decided "I'm not a boardgame person".  To that degree, where I've gotten people that don't normally game to actually enthusiastically agree to another game of Carc, I think I'd classify it as a decent enough "gateway" game.  At least in my experience.  Agreed on excitement level though, the theme is a bit of a snoozer.  We've often found that a lot of shit-talking and aggressive blocking/takeovers are a fine way to add a little excitement to Carc though.

I use Carc to encourage people to think a few steps ahead and play odds. The farmers (and specifically the rules on majority rule in a field) are key in this. Sometimes you place a farmer on a tile connected to nothing, but 1+ more tiles played later will link them up to a contested field. Gheos is huge on this.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2011, 06:38:43 pm »

Anybody want to PBEM anything using Vassal? I've been meaning to bring this up.

Anyone else used Vassal? I got interested in it for my wargaming fixes, since Mojave, has zero gamers.

I dont know, I mean, its very functional. It defiantly works. But since Vassal cannot enforce any rules, it becomes kinda of awkward for real time play.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2011, 08:29:41 am »

I am getting somewhat disapointed whenever I get one of these boardgames, memorise the rules... and then find out that the Errata makes such sweeping changes that learning them was pretty much a waste.

Honestly Descent's errata actually outright contradicts entire sections. "Ohh heros can sell their goods immediately?, No wait the Errata says they can only sell their items in town for half their price".

Arkham Horror had changes in the Errata but they were actual mistakes, such as an oversight that makes certain oldgods easily defeated (Healing Stone + Doctor or Psychologist), and clarifications not sweeping changes.

I am not REALLY complaining. I am glad that they are willing to keep working on a game until it works, rather then SOME boardgames I know that are broken and and still broken inspite of how easily the rules could be fixed (Dang it Zombie summoning is TOO powerful zombie game), but I don't like when the rule book and errata are so dramatically different.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2011, 10:11:03 am »

That tends to happen in the massive, multi-hour games, right? I usually go for shorter ones. As a rule of thumb, I won't buy anything that has an estimated playing time of over 1h30m. Those usually don't have erratas, that I've seen!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »

You named two complex FF games with horrible rule books. Try another company and then get back to me. Good companies have living rule books.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:20:52 pm by BigD145 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2011, 07:04:51 pm »

You named two complex FF games with horrible rule books. Try another company and then get back to me. Good companies have living rule books.

Actually I have a Third! too bad I don't remember its name... now THAT game needed an Errata...

The problem was that at the start you all have teh same pool of resources. If you JUST go for people... you win the game. You can actually just zombie rush everyone else to DEATH before you would ever starve to death. (as at the end of a turn you can summon zombies to another player)

Actually wait... I THINK it did have an Errata... and the rules it added certainly made its single player tougher, but its multiplayer is broken.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 07:08:58 pm by Neonivek »

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2011, 09:35:34 pm »

GMT Games are awesome!
They gave P500 preorders for Urban Sprawl the opportunity to get their copy at Essen Spiel 2011. Because I don't have much money I can't go to Essen, but I live in Germany so I asked them if they could send it from there to me instead of sending it from the US. And they agreed!
This is absolutely awesome as I'm going to have my game much faster and way cheaper (no additional customs).

Hooray for GMT!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »

You know what's great? The Order of the Stick board game.
Picture of the game in progress
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2011, 02:35:15 pm »

You know what's great? The Order of the Stick board game.
Picture of the game in progress

I can't see the image.

Also isn't the OftS boardgame just a renamed boardgame? Like Pokemon monopoly?

I am probably thinking of OotS Munchkin.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:44:06 pm by Neonivek »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2011, 03:05:34 pm »

Yeah, that picture didn't show up for me.

But hey, how is it?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13