Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Board Gaming  (Read 19656 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Board Gaming
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2011, 03:15:21 pm »

I once almost had a game played by Live streaming going.

I chose against it because the person I was doing it with was a total flake.

I really should come up with a way to actually do it. I mean... it is actually possible.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:20:34 pm by Neonivek »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2011, 03:28:55 pm »

OotS is its own wholly developed board game and it's TERRIBLE.  If I wasn't on my phone I'd upload that (snarky webcomic) picture to help emphasize my point, but alas, I cannot dodge the hotlinking.  Maybe someone else can.  It's relevant.

I mean, the mechanics make sense, but it has rules for short, medium, long and "weekend killer" games.  4-6 hours...for the SHORT GAME.  Jesus.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2011, 06:47:21 pm »

I kinda wish that along with reviews Boardgames would also come with a stream of a whole game being played with a play by play.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2011, 09:57:07 am »

I kinda wish that along with reviews Boardgames would also come with a stream of a whole game being played with a play by play.

The 'Sessions' forums at Board Game Geeks are pretty close, and sometimes the Video links.  Between the two you can get a pretty solid idea of how most of the mainstream games play.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »

It's hard to do a play by play when progression in games can change drastically between sessions. Games with just one or two strategies tend to be bad games that play themselves and don't need players.

Saboteur is a fun game with hidden identities that you could only show a single round of to explain the rules. From there it's all up in the air as to what each player will do. You just have to sit down and play the game half a dozen times to see what other players are capable of. If you jump into a different group of people the game will change. I'm not sure I would want to sit through a couple dozen play by play sessions. I'd rather just play the game. You can't really approach it from a video game perspective where the AI will do a few very specific things.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:15:22 pm by BigD145 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2011, 12:17:38 pm »

In no way am I saying it is easy. It would just be nice.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2011, 01:56:56 pm »

OotS is its own wholly developed board game and it's TERRIBLE.

Agree. But there is always that one lunatic who really loves it.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2011, 05:53:18 pm »

I have saboteur but it didn't feel that fun at all the couple of times we've played it. Might just have been the wrong crowd though! It seemed like the saboteur could either actually do damage by being far too obvious and then getting out for the rest of the round, or do extremely minor damage and lose :\

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2011, 06:02:44 pm »

I have saboteur but it didn't feel that fun at all the couple of times we've played it. Might just have been the wrong crowd though! It seemed like the saboteur could either actually do damage by being far too obvious and then getting out for the rest of the round, or do extremely minor damage and lose :\

Crowd is important. Saboteur 2 changes things a bit.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2011, 09:23:42 am »

I recently watchend an excellent review/howtoplay about GMTs upcoming game Urban Sprawl. It's like a Sim City boardgame :D
It can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz38_nYgnxA

So looking forward to my copy of the game which should arrive next week :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2011, 11:56:00 am »

I recently watchend an excellent review/howtoplay about GMTs upcoming game Urban Sprawl. It's like a Sim City boardgame :D
It can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz38_nYgnxA

So looking forward to my copy of the game which should arrive next week :)

DANG that is a beard.

The review really could have been better. To the extent that I just wanted to check out his Dominant Species review... which wasn't there.

He gone over the concepts and gameplay at least somewhat. Also he didn't really play it so it isn't exactly what I mean.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:00:10 pm by Neonivek »

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2011, 05:53:09 pm »

Yeah that's true. I still enjoyed the review alot though and he explained the game mechanics really well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2011, 08:48:00 pm »

Also I played Descent three times (two 2v1 and one 4v1) and I won everytime and only ONCE did we get to the mid-point.

I am starting to think the strategy is too focused for players to easily grasp. Which is a shame though since my Sister likes to play but she is never going to win (and she is never going to be able to play the Overlord).

Also one person once suggested that you COULD play Boardgames online using a map tool of some sort.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:22:46 pm by Neonivek »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2011, 12:07:27 am »

Descent isn't too hard to beat as the heroes, you just need to work completely cooperatively.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2011, 12:09:45 am »

Descent isn't too hard to beat as the heroes, you just need to work completely cooperatively.

Well... in the 1st and 3rd example they were all being played by the same person. (yes my insane friend chose to play 4 heros)

The problem is that the subtle strategies arn't obvious to people who, for example, don't play videogames...

Mind you I played on the easiest map and I didn't use a single "trap" card. Mind you I guess I am a very effective player since I've hit them with 2 things everytime

1) The Beastman Rush: In the first room I tend to move all the beastmen back so I can couple them with the Master Beastmen who give them bonus damage. This strategy worked everytime.
2) The Hellhound Flames: I have successfully hit the entire group with all the hellhounds everytime.

Do you have a suggestion to make the game even easier on the players without relying on me to know what "taking it easy" is?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:30:43 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13