Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Board Gaming  (Read 19655 times)

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Board Gaming
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 06:02:42 pm »

Yay Board Games!
Here's my own collection:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/TheCze?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Twilight Struggle is obviously my number 1 (though certain titles like Normandy '44 and Labyrinth are climbing steadily upwards...).

Recently got Jena 20 and am looking forward to play a round of it soon.

And in the next few days/weeks my copy of Space Empires: 4x should finally arrive :) Really looking forward to this game.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 06:03:10 pm »

I've seen many I'm interested in but don't know anyone who'd want to play. I do play a little Space Hulk with my dad every so often.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 07:09:09 pm »

Some of the most fun you can have is playing Apples to Apples in Spanish, with half the group being Americans with a little bit of Spanish and the other half being from Latin American countries; the former don't know what they're doing because they can't understand half the cards, and the latter because all of the pop culture references are from Mexican shows, bands, etc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 07:30:52 pm »

Settlers of Catan has become the staple of my family (and when I can pry them away from the PS3, my friends) over the last year- I haven't played any expansions though, how are they? What's your favorite?

Dominion was an entertaining game, though I haven't been able to convince people to play it more than once.

Carcassone was also entertaining, though we haven't played that one as much since my sister is far and away the best player in the family.

A game I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Age of Mythology board game- I've had a few marathon sessions of that in the past, although the friend that owns the copy is now regrettably distant.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »

I never understand the objective of Apples to Apples.  I have a certain idea about it but I often find that most people are literalists when it comes to card choice (green card: Movie Star red card: John Travolta).  I don't think that is fun or interesting in any way. 

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 08:13:54 pm »

Why did I read that as (green card: Star Trek red card: John Travolta)?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 08:42:53 pm »

Settlers of Catan has become the staple of my family (and when I can pry them away from the PS3, my friends) over the last year- I haven't played any expansions though, how are they? What's your favorite?

I've messed around with the traders and barbarians expansion pack, which has been a mixed bag. The box says it adds "4 variants and 5 new scenarios!", but most of them just involve adding another resource, (say, fish, or gold), and not much else. We tried the barbarian invasion scenario once, which involves fighting off barbarians with knights that you buy at a castle (I think?). Interesting, but the added complexity didn't really justify the extra set-up time. Can't speak for any of the other expansions, though.

I never understand the objective of Apples to Apples.  I have a certain idea about it but I often find that most people are literalists when it comes to card choice (green card: Movie Star red card: John Travolta).  I don't think that is fun or interesting in any way. 

I suppose it depends on the people you play with? In my experience, the game is at it's best when everyone is talking and arguing over the words chosen. Maybe the people I know just aren't that literal; I've heard it convincingly argued that Hitler is more "Fluffy" than the Easter Bunny.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 09:47:22 pm »

SO... either I need new friends, or I need to drug them before playing... hmm.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »

Look at what I got yesterday!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 06:07:44 pm »

How do you like Pandemic? aside from your 8.5 rating, any words? I'm just curious, I've always wanted to play it

Heh, I was at a party where somebody brought pandemic.  We kept on losing on the easiest mission over and over again, but it was great fun.

SO... either I need new friends, or I need to drug them before playing... hmm.

You can't really play apples to apples without booze.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 06:24:49 pm »

TheCze, how is it?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 11:25:17 pm »

I am sad no one plays "Games of the Generals" here. It's a nice board game. Sort of like chess but you can't see what your enemies piece are and when you attack their piece, you still won't see what they are. The "arbiter" will look and see who loses and takes the loser piece out.

Since you can't see the enemy piece, bluffing is a valid tactic.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 12:25:10 am »

This is so my niche. Here are my favorites, in almost no particular order (though I like the ones on top the most, getting more murky as we go down):

1. Twilight Imperium - Yes. YESSSSS.

2. Battlestar Galactica - A great game. Brings out anger when I play with some people who sometimes get stubborn and assume I "Witch hunted" them if I caught them doing something completely ludicrous and took away their titles.

3. Bang! - Best quick game. BEST.

4. Space Hulk - Two players, but the best two players.

5. Betrayal at House on the Hill - Great for getting casuals in (there really is a casual and hardcore division for board games, much like video games. Except hardcore board gamers don't get pretentious about it)

6. Resistance - My favourite Mafia-based game. A friend of mine has a boyfriend who is a troll, which sometimes kills us, though it is ocassionally hilarious.

7. Cash & Guns - Makes you feel so cool, even though you're swinging an orange gun around at people. I love finishing off my foes and even being finished off and doing a death enactment in the den.

8. Shadow Hunters - Popular amongst the crowd I often play these games with. People who don't fully understand BSG call it 'Battlestar Galactica Light'. This is in no way accurate.

9. Carcassone - Best for trolling. I rarely play to win. Instead I stack my city tiles next to other people in just such a way that I flood them with my knights and steal their points. Last time I played I got a 20-tile city which everybody had been trying to go in on.

10. Twilight Struggle - Not as intense a two-player experience as Space Hulk. Probably higher on my list if it had more players, to be honest.

My list could go on and on and on. Ohh man.

Anybody want to PBEM anything using Vassal? I've been meaning to bring this up.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 05:45:18 am »

TheCze, how is it?
Well I set down last night to play one of the solitaire scenarios and I had a lot of fun. The rules are pretty simple but the game gets complex through many different techs to research and the many different kind of ships you can build. I lost the solitaire game yesterday, even though I was playing on easy. Gonna try the same game again today to see if I improved :D Probably won't get to play it with my buddies this week, hoping for next week though.
The boardgame looks like this most of the time

This does seem very confusing but it really isn't. Each and every sector gets a concealed system counter in the beginning of the game. During the game you are exploring those systems. You can find planets, minerals, black holes, etc. etc. if you are in the deep space regions (there are different counters for different regions of the map) it's pretty dangerous and you easily lose ships to the stuff you discover.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 06:21:07 am »

Ooh, that looks nice.

Recently mainly been playing Agricola. The Significant Other doesn't like it if I always win, though, (and I always do) so we recently bought some games that are less intellectual and more intuitive, such as Atlantis and MixUp. Although both fairly simple I suddenly have a hard time winning. With more people something simple like Machiavelli can keep me occupied for ages, as well. My favourite would be Diplomacy, but that one's hard to find time for...

Personally I'm more into the convoluted-rulesets-games. That Space Empires thing looks quite nice.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13