Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Board Gaming  (Read 19644 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Board Gaming
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 08:00:22 am »

Anyone remember the Buck Rogers (And the Battle for the 21st and a half Cccccceeeennnnnutttttrrrrrryyyyyy) Board game? It said ages 10+ I think, but **** if we ever figured out how to play it properly. It was 2 and a half hours of consolidating forces and building them up, followed by 20 minute combat rounds per player.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2011, 09:20:02 am »

You guys ought to try out Ascending Empires! It has a bunch of strategy and tough choices, which is only compounded by the fact that if you want to move your ships, you have to FLICK THEM. Much hilarity ensues :D

I'll totally look into those suggestions :)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 09:22:23 am »

If your bored of gaming, just take a break! By the way, the title has a typo.  8)
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 09:56:15 am »

So I just finished my second solitaire game and achieved an epic win! However it was on difficulty level 1 of 5.

I even took some pictures for you guys! And I just noticed that I had a stupid "only red" effect activated on my camera and the pictures are pretty much ruined. However I took a picture of the production sheet where you write down your income and expenses for each round so it's easier to keep record of everything.
At the bottom of the sheet you can mark on what technology level you currently are.

It may look quite intimidating at first glance but once you get used to it you get really fast when entering data. Gotta say I really really love this game, lets hope my gf, my buddy and his gf like it aswell (or at least my buddy, oh please let him like it :D)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 10:54:42 am »

I do try to play board games, but aside from me, my girlfriend and our gaming group the town I live in has a collective IQ of about 4. I play Grind with my girlfriend occasionally ("DOHOHO, GRIND WITH GIRLFRIEND" I hear you say :P) and various RPGs with the gaming group we go to (Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, etc). I would love to play more boardgames, however. I grew up with the likes of Keys to the Kingdom, Buccaneer, Golden Idol, etc.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 11:20:45 am »

How do you like Pandemic? aside from your 8.5 rating, any words? I'm just curious, I've always wanted to play it

Heh, I was at a party where somebody brought pandemic.  We kept on losing on the easiest mission over and over again, but it was great fun.

I have pandemic and the expansion. It is really run, but once you learn "the big trick" it becomes really easy. Granted I haven't played with 6 epidemic cards, but I honestly believe it will still be pretty simple.

The big trick below!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Munchkin is fun, but after a while it becomes really predicatable. First person to 9 loses. Everyone holds on their awesome "fuck you over" cards until the end.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 11:37:43 am »

Some recent ones I've played:
Revolution! A good game that involves strategy with maybe a tad bit of luck. 2-4 players, but as is typical with that type of game it's best with more.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis. This is a nice game to play and can be convoluted or simple depending on the which of the extra rules you decide to use. Be prepared to get dirty glares when you screw over your significant other or family members.

Mansions of Madness. Been trying to get a second game going but it's a pretty time consuming game. Still, it's a great game and having one person basically playing dungeon master it makes it a bit more involved than Arkham in my opinion.

10 Days in (Asia, Europe, United States): There are three of these games and they are all pretty fun. The Asia set is what I normally play with the family because the other two are at siblings houses. Draw cards and create a route through your given country/continent. Strategy with a heavy dose of luck coming from the card draws.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 11:38:29 am »

Munchkin is fun, but after a while it becomes really predicatable. First person to 9 loses. Everyone holds on their awesome "fuck you over" cards until the end.

Yeah. But Illuminati is pretty much the same philosophy. The first person to get strong gets dog-piled, people sit on their best cards until the very end, and the quiet guy who had the most money usually wins.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 11:46:52 am »

Played Agricola for the first time the other night. Really fun game, although the theme is a bit wonky with the actual mechanics. You're farmers but...only one player at a time can plow their fields? Or bake bread? Or have children? What kind of a bizarre town is this??

Despite that it was a ton of fun, and I look forward to playing it again.

I also got a chance to do some more playtests for the two games I'm making. They're going pretty well. My first one, Mystic Vortex, is finally at the point where everything flows smoothly and is actually fun. Took it a while to get there, but I'm glad I didn't give up on it. My second one is a deck-building game like Dominion, sort of, but with a Dungeon Keeperish theme. It had it's first play session over the weekend and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much fun it was. Needs a ton of work, of course, but it's more tweaking instead of giant rules overhauls like Mystic Vortex needed after the first few games.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 11:47:33 am »

So I just finished my second solitaire game and achieved an epic win! However it was on difficulty level 1 of 5.

Space Empires has my eye. I need to sell a few games before I think about buying another.

I'm not going to list the games I play as I have over a hundred in my collection and I rotate through them. I guess right now it's mostly been Survive (the original game), Rattus, and Race for the Galaxy.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 08:17:22 am »

I really enjoy Survive: Escape from Atlantis! Turns out we are usually teaching someone new how to play, so we always play with 1 meeple, 1 point. Should get a lot more interesting with the numbers on the bottom! I find it pushes the same buttons that Catan does with my group. Plenty of luck, but strategy ends up playing a role. I think it's a bit more prone to analysis paralysis though.

Space empires: jesus, I don't think I'm going to go for that! The only 3 hour game I can play is BSG, because of constant interaction :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:55 am »

As much as I like boardgames I have an incredible "non-competative" streak.

I don't like to compete at all unless I can put a good foot forward. Too bad that would be absolutely no boardgame in existance... except monopoly MAYBE (Though that is because no one plays Monopoly very well....)

Though I have played Arkham Horror and it was fun.

My Sister had the "Saved by the Bell" Boardgame (well one of them as there is likely multiple) and BOY was it horrible... It was a game of pure luck and that would be fine... if it had anything to do with Saved by the bell. Even she admits it is a terrible boardgame and rarely plays except to laugh at what date she ends up with. You can actually play the game almost forever waiting for the opportunity to actually finish.

Better yet the boardgame rules are incomplete and contain holes.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:24:06 am by Neonivek »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 08:31:04 am »

Look into Space Hulk: Death Angel, Pandemic, Red November, and Space Alert. They are all cooperative. Space Alert is absolutely hilarious!

Also, Galaxy Trucker is competitive, but you don't interfere with other people that much, and it is also hilarious fun when your ship breaks apart into oblivion :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 08:36:19 am »

Look into Space Hulk: Death Angel, Pandemic, Red November, and Space Alert. They are all cooperative. Space Alert is absolutely hilarious!

Also, Galaxy Trucker is competitive, but you don't interfere with other people that much, and it is also hilarious fun when your ship breaks apart into oblivion :P

I'll try to remember these.

There is another kind of "Co-op" game, but I am unaware of its name.

However it is what I'd call "All against One" where the "one" doesn't play the same thing as everyone else (or the same except different)

For example that dungeon game where the "one" player, plays the dungeon itself (or the House itself in the haunted house one)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:38:08 am by Neonivek »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 08:51:44 am »

I'll try to remember these.

There is another kind of "Co-op" game, but I am unaware of its name.

However it is what I'd call "All against One" where the "one" doesn't play the same thing as everyone else (or the same except different)

For example that dungeon game where the "one" player, plays the dungeon itself (or the House itself in the haunted house one)

I can think of a few like that.
Descent would be the Dungeon one.
My other favourite like that is Last Night on Earth. One to two players play the zombies, while the rest of the players play heroes or townspeople. That's a fun one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13