Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Board Gaming  (Read 19580 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Board Gaming
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:43 pm »

I'm curious how many of you are into board games as well as computer games. And by this I mean going beyond the basic Monopoly/Scrabble/Clue games that most people know about. There is a giant market of board games out there and I've started to get a bit more heavily into it in the last year.

I've always liked board games (my friends and I spent many hours in high school playing Talisman), and over the last 10 years or so I'd added a few more games to my collection. Settlers of Catan, it's expansions and Starfarers of Catan were the first. Got a lot of good use out of those games.

But in the last year my collection has grown considerably, and I've been introduced to a lot of really interesting games. Dungeon Lords, Dominion (+ expansions), Citadels, Carcassone, Warrior Knights, the Game of Thrones board game, and Space Hulk are all part of my collection now. Other games my friends have that I've enjoyed are Puerto Rico, 7 Wonders, Runebound, Descent, Last Night on Earth, and a bunch more. Those are just some of the ones we've played recently.

So, what games do you guys like?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:45:08 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Board Gaming
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:12:35 pm »

Apples to Apples is the best.  DO NOT play it in mixed company though, it brings out the worst sides of peoples' sense of humor!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:02:43 pm »

A fun one for people who have atleast some knowledge of DND(becuase it makes fun of it a lot, and others might not get the jokes): Munchkin , its basically a card game-ish game where you are all playing adventurers in a dnd world, and helping/hindering each other, to try and get good loot / levels. whoever gets to level 10 first [or 20 in epic mode] wins. Need 3 players atleast, better with 4, after 6 it starts getting too slow.
Has lots of expansions that add new concepts/ideas/equipment, and at least in north america is incredibly common to find in most stores that carry boardgames... or failing that, comic-book stores for some reason.

Zombies! is also fun, although i only played it twice or so, its basically a bunch of you going around in a zombie apocalypse trying to gather supplies n stuff and get to the choper (you build the world as you play)... Not incredibly fast paced, but it was fun the times i played it.

Also, i still really like Go, although theres a thread for that somewhere on this forum

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:09:43 pm »

Settlers of Cataan is good fun, a game I frankly surprised myself by liking. It's become a family standard. My sister always gets longest road, she will stab you if you try to stop her. We've also got an interesting Lord of the Rings game that's provided some good fun; it's a cooperative rather than competitive game, and I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it. You take the role of the hobbits, attempting to destroy the one ring and so on.

Apples to Apples is another favorite, just don't try to play it as a drinking game. It makes a very bad drinking game. (And by that, I mean it makes a very good drinking game, if your goal is drunkenness).

Generally though, I can't afford the fancier class of boardgame that's around these days. Card games are what I settle for these days. Euchre, rummy, hearts, etc.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:20:48 pm »

Speaking of drinking games, I highly recommend Red Dragon Inn. It's about a group of adventurers after a successful dungeon crawl or whatever. They're sitting in the red dragon inn and drinking/gambling away their newly gotten fortunes. It's a ton of fun, especially if you're a fan of D&D and fantasy games.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 02:29:43 pm »

Junta is fun if you can dig up 6 other people, preferrably cheating bastards. It's sort of like a board game version of Tropico. It used to be a bit obscure but seems to have gotten a resurrection/rerelease in later years.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:35:36 pm »

I do love apples to apples. Another one I can recommend is Racko.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 02:38:12 pm »

If your group enjoys thinking, wits, and puzzle solving, and considers intellectual frustration to be enjoyable, you might enjoy Mao.  You play it with two standard decks, plus one  if you have six players or so.  It's not easy; it's the outdoor paintball match to Uno's indoor laser tag if that makes any sense.  PM me if you want my group's rules to start with, figuring them out is a big part of the fun.

(Bartok is like Mao except the rules aren't hidden)

Don't use Mao as a drinking game; people will wind up hospitalized.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 03:16:36 pm »

If your group enjoys thinking, wits, and puzzle solving, and considers intellectual frustration to be enjoyable, you might enjoy Mao.  You play it with two standard decks, plus one  if you have six players or so.  It's not easy; it's the outdoor paintball match to Uno's indoor laser tag if that makes any sense.  PM me if you want my group's rules to start with, figuring them out is a big part of the fun.

(Bartok is like Mao except the rules aren't hidden)

Don't use Mao as a drinking game; people will wind up hospitalized.

I play a lot of board games, though my tastes tend to run against, rather than toward, the uber-popular ones, like A2A or Settlers. I tend to get burned out pretty quickly on the stuff that gets constant play, like Puerto Rico a decade ago, and Dominion over the past few years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 03:48:39 pm »

Arkham Horror is my go-to board game most of the time. Talisman is also excellent.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:34:35 am »

Oooooooooooooooh, boardgamers:D

Here's my collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Anvilfolk?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker and Ascending Empires are really high on my AWESOME list right now. Been doing some Memoir '44 and Duel in the Dark with the wifey too, and both are quite nice :)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:10:53 am »

Ug, I hate Mao. If you know the rules it is just a very basic card game where you have to do dumb shit, and if you don't know the rules it is just a very basic card game where you start with a penalty of the cards you get trying to find them out. Also it is pretty much almost always a forgone conclusion the rule maker or enforcer or king or what have you is going to win.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 11:42:01 am »

I really enjoy citadels and Powergrid.  Roborally is fun too, but the games can really drag on sometimes.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 11:48:50 am »

I second Munchkin, with an addendum that to enjoy most of the humour in its jokes you pretty much have to have an experience with RPGs, preferrably p&p.
I have found Battlestar Galactica to be a very well made game - easy to get into with simple rules focusing on human interactions. Think poker with aliens. The game really shines with 5+ players, if you can get that many people to play.
For two players, Twilight Struggle is a fun card-based game about the Cold War. Proxy wars in korea, instilling revolutions in Latin America, fighting over influence in Europe, it's all nicely modelled and fun.
For the more hardcore boardgamers, and/or history nuts, "Here I Stand" might be of interest. Six powers, each trying to gain dominance in XVI century Europe during the Reformation period. Mixes a relatively simplified combat, card-driven mechanics and point-to-point map with interesting rules trying to model religious stuggle of the time. Each side(Ottomans, Papacy, Protestant, English, France & Hapsburgs) plays quite differently, with its own goals and "special skillz"(will Henry VIII produce a male heir? will Barbarossa terrorise the Mediterranean with his fleet of Barbary corsairs? How many protestants can the Pope burn at the stake?). Not for a casual gamer, though, as the rules are numerous and take serious studying to wrap one's head around them.
Fans of Napoleonic period might want to check out the eponymously named "Napoleonic Wars" or "Empires in Arms". The first one being very similiar in many aspects of its mechanics to HIS, lending it a certain degree of simplicity, the second one much more detailed and wargame'y - expect a behemoth of a rulebook, lots of counters, detailed map, in-depth combat mechanics and easily over 24h per game.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 05:39:13 pm »

Junta is fun if you can dig up 6 other people, preferrably cheating bastards. It's sort of like a board game version of Tropico. It used to be a bit obscure but seems to have gotten a resurrection/rerelease in later years.
Junta is probably my most favorite game I own...
If you play it right it can cause trouble, though ;) ...
last time we played four of us set up a successful voting block, excluding the three other players from any of the budget. We also had the muscle to back it, The president, 2 generals and the interior minister can pretty easily fight off 1 general, airforce, and navy.
The successful part (and hardest to achieve) is that we all stayed true to the alliance... We all thought we were getting the best deal, with the exception of the president who was quite literally a self proclaimed puppet. But he had already made enemies with the three non-bloc players so he couldn't break the cycle we had going; so out of self preservation he was forced to continue passing out big money to us while pocketing small change and giving literally zero to the three other players. It was great... It was also the first (and only) Junta game that we never finished- the three other players quit. Pussies.

My collection:
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Asterix909?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Here's my collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Anvilfolk?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1
How do you like Pandemic? aside from your 8.5 rating, any words? I'm just curious, I've always wanted to play it
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:45:26 pm by Goron »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13