Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Board Gaming  (Read 19433 times)

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Board Gaming
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2011, 01:37:30 pm »

If you don't trust those guys, at least trust this guy you probably know even less about.

Vassal is great. I'm currently running the Battlestar Galactica Boardgame on another forum, you can read it here if you want. Yes, it's so handy, I use it for games even if I run them on a forum instead of PBEM. It is in no way a virus, spy program, or other malware.
yeah I'm also using VASSAL to moderate a game of Arkham Horror in the Zombiemaster forums, it's really handy. Maybe once I finish the game over there (we have not even started yet, people are choosing their characters I'll offer it here.

So how do you guys buy your board games?
-Local gamestore (not that local anymore because I moved but still close enough)
-Boardgamegeek seller list
-Udo Grebe Game Design (great if you live in Germany or in Europe, has everything from GMT and you can even make P500 preorders (which are quite cheap))
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:40:27 pm by TheCze »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2011, 01:45:17 pm »

Wait, are you saying that, with this program, you can essentially play board games on a forum? And why is no one running games here???

This is great if you have the people/ 3-5 hours to sit down and get a game done in one sitting, or have the space to keep a game up over several sessions.

I would for sure if I hated playing games with living people sitting where I can hit them and/or high-five them. Man, it sure sucks I get to play in one room with everyone.

What I really don't like are the people that will quit when they aren't winning (or some other reason equally as stupid). That is so much harder/rarer when they are sitting in front of you.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2011, 02:14:24 pm »

There have been a few attempts that I know of (by Grakelin and Deon, IIRC) to run a forum board game, both got abandoned, sadly. I'd run a game of BSG, but I'm busy enough with the other one, so maybe when it's over.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2011, 04:38:13 pm »

Neonivek, stop trawling us, you know VASSAL is awesome.

Not trying to. I said I downloaded it and then my computer said that it was a possible virus or computer ender of some sort. No one responded in a "It isn't" sort of way (In fact, even now no one has said otherwise >_>) So there.

Besides you know I am not fit enough to trawl people.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »

I can confirm that VASSAL is completely safe.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2011, 11:21:15 pm »

Sup guys. I bought myself a set of dice today and I was wondering if there were any board games out there I could set up myself without having to buy anything, preferably providing a free rule book online. I'm aware there are print & play games around, but I'm miserably broke at the moment with bills due and I'm out of printer ink. The only thing I could swing were the die since they were pretty cheap.

I'm cool with other games too, like Pen & Paper or some kind of interesting dice game with depth, I don't know. I don't want to litter the topic with all of that though but if you know of any that would be beast.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2011, 01:04:32 am »

Board Game Geek has 1 or 2 print and play lists. Some don't have many parts at all. Also, look for the "waiting in line" thread there.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2011, 04:34:25 pm »

Yay got Urban Sprawl today! :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:58 pm »

Yay got Urban Sprawl today! :)

How was it?

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2011, 07:44:58 pm »

Nobody has played with me yet :( :( :(

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2011, 08:23:45 pm »

We finally got to play it today! We played with 3 players and it was really great. No one of use was had any idea on what strategy would make sense in the beginning and the first moves were rather random ("I guess that would be good?!") but the more the game progressed the more it became exciting. Definetely my game of the year 2011.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:27 pm »

After one play? ;)

So what it is with people here mostly enjoying the 3h+ games? I never have 3h to burn, and tend to go for the quicker games, 1h30m, 2h AT THE MOST EVER except for very particular situations. I find games that are too long to be a bit too heavy (even if I get to play them).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2011, 09:48:00 pm »

Glad things worked out so well!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2011, 08:53:56 pm »

Me talking about prefering shorter games and then... I found Axis and Allies: 1942 edition today on sale and sort of bought it on impulse. I knew it was a longer game, and according to boardgamegeek it's 3h :)

I can never resist WWII stuff. The board is way too small to play around easily. It's going to be an annoyance for sure, but oh well. After reading the rules and setting up the board just to have a look at it, I am looking forward to my first play, which I estimate is going to be in a very long time.

I'm guessing it's the "epicness" of a long game that draws people to it? There are more stories to tell about those games?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2011, 04:30:34 pm »

I like a variety of play times. Really long games can be awesome, since so much can happen, but I often find that we don't play them too much. It's easier to work around a few smaller games then to try and do a larger one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]