Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Operation: Thundering Boulder  (Read 9750 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Operation: Thundering Boulder
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:25 pm »

If you grab a GCS then I have outlined plans for proper protocol.  It can meanwhile be contained using a bait animal and a series of bridges - raised bridges cannot be destroyed from the direction that they lay flat (ie, raises towards the east, cannot be destroyed from the west).  Using this, you can make a trap that encloses any creature inside a large box, if you have proper lever response times.  Then, you can leisurely plan out things until you have the means to relocate the demon more safely.

Not thoroughly difficult if you have an idea about animals and caging mechanisms, a little tricky though.  Expect deaths.  But that's a given, isn't it?

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 11:35:43 pm »

If you grab a GCS then I have outlined plans for proper protocol.  It can meanwhile be contained using a bait animal and a series of bridges - raised bridges cannot be destroyed from the direction that they lay flat (ie, raises towards the east, cannot be destroyed from the west).  Using this, you can make a trap that encloses any creature inside a large box, if you have proper lever response times.  Then, you can leisurely plan out things until you have the means to relocate the demon more safely.

Not thoroughly difficult if you have an idea about animals and caging mechanisms, a little tricky though.  Expect deaths.  But that's a given, isn't it?

Fun always happens. Such as the Original 7 are now down to 5.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 11:42:05 pm »

What, is that all?  If I'm ever doing a crusade fort of any type (in this case, you're crusading against goblins) I never have any dwarf older than 5 migration waves.  That's a turnover rate and life expectancy of about a year for any given dwarf, except certain carefully guarded metalsmiths and boozecrafters.  The rest, the haulers and carpenters and planters, they're fodder, they all carry a spear and they all stand in line as the horde approaches.  The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 11:50:20 pm »

What, is that all?  If I'm ever doing a crusade fort of any type (in this case, you're crusading against goblins) I never have any dwarf older than 5 migration waves.  That's a turnover rate and life expectancy of about a year for any given dwarf, except certain carefully guarded metalsmiths and boozecrafters.  The rest, the haulers and carpenters and planters, they're fodder, they all carry a spear and they all stand in line as the horde approaches.  The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.
I sense much Darkness in your heart. If only it could be pierced... But the galvanized steel chainmail prevents it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 12:11:23 am »

There's a thick lacquer of rusted blood and bolted sheet metal over my heart.  This is for your protection, not for my own.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 12:21:52 am »

.... thick lacquer of rusted blood ....

I like how even your blood rusts, reminds me of Magneto's fateful words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNbXq2RNyC4
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 12:47:07 am »

The fact that blood rusts has always fascinated me.  I'm always surprised that I get a nosebleed (common problem for me) and whatever towel I've grabbed has turned brown a bit later.  Makes me wonder, if a creature had copper blood, would it turn your skin green?  If it had some amount of zinc or silver, would it be possible for people to be allergic to your blood, and break out in a rash?

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 09:24:56 am »

I just had to sig that last part  :D
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 07:22:29 am »

I support this. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 07:21:23 pm »

Bad news: When i started the fortress i hit some fun. Power went out... didnt save at ALL. (Don't beleive in autosaves) Had to restart.

One of the Original seven i made Miltia Commander died trying to save a dwarf from Giant Badgers. He was ripped apart and the other dwarf drowned *dodged into a pond*

Also while channeling the magma from the volcano i goofed. i forgot that when i channeled the ice... there was only water underneath... it crashed violently into the ground below bringing up magma below. It immediately turned into obsidian and a dwarf died encased in ice. 2 dwarves died in my training room they were apparently frail and weak... the spears bruised their heart and lungs killing them because i had no water. *Leading to aforementioned accident*

Also i forgot about getting a steel anvil... and the caravan did not bring one... Welp. Maybe the humans will get here soon. I can only hope.

(I looked at my weapons and i found i had a steel axe... i have no idea where it came from this was before the first dwarven caravan even arrived)

OH GOD WHAT THE... I just dug out the Ice that formed ontop the lake... it says a cieling collapsed... But there is nothing there not even dust... Stupid bugs... There was only ice on the first level... grrrr
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:25:49 pm by Kromgar »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 04:54:14 am »

The fact that blood rusts has always fascinated me.  I'm always surprised that I get a nosebleed (common problem for me) and whatever towel I've grabbed has turned brown a bit later.  Makes me wonder, if a creature had copper blood, would it turn your skin green?  If it had some amount of zinc or silver, would it be possible for people to be allergic to your blood, and break out in a rash?

Creatures with copper blood have blue blood to begin with-- the entire point with blood is reversible oxidization (ie rust).  When they bleed, deoxygenated blood turns blue (from clear).  These creatures are normally mollusks-- they appear sort of translucent, but there is a definite blueness to them.

It's already possible for people to break out into a rash from contact with someone's blood.  In fact, it's far more likely than breaking out in a rash due to contact with silver or zinc.

The entire reason that 'blood type' is such a big deal is because of allergies to blood.  (Well-- the line between allergy (dysfunction) and immunity (function) is pretty blurry.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 09:32:33 pm »

My 3rd artifact was quite interesting.

The Strapping Twist a steel pick

Base Value: 142,800

This is a steel pick. All Craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is Encircled with bands of Horse Bone and Harlequin Opal. This object menaces with spikes of steel. On the item is an image of a purring maggot in green glass.

After that i got another artifact weapon...

A Sterling Silver Crossbow it menaces with spikes of sterling silver. An image of dwarves traveling it relates to the founding of The Sprayed Ships of The Oil of Taming in the early spring of 1001.

Obviously this is a sign i shall defeat Ciba

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 09:34:44 pm »

This is a steel pick. All Craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is Encircled with bands of Horse Bone and Harlequin Opal. This object menaces with spikes of steel. On the item is an image of a purring maggot in green glass.

A Sterling Silver Crossbow it menaces with spikes of sterling silver. An image of dwarves traveling it relates to the founding of The Sprayed Ships of The Oil of Taming in the early spring of 1001.

Find your strongest, most skilled, and most combat experienced miner and give him that pick. It will be a destroyer of worlds.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 09:37:00 pm »

Find your strongest, most skilled, and most combat experienced miner and give him that pick. It will be a destroyer of worlds.
He will be given steel armor as soon as possible. (I will likely need to start melting down steel toys bought from caravans and other garbage)

I only have deep metals but i have a ton of flux.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:40:51 pm by Kromgar »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 09:44:37 pm »

Those are 2 good artifacts. Sterling is equal to silver in density - so it's essentially a really badass silver crossbow.

I don't think I need to elaborate on the pick.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3