Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchant dwarf and his donkey both go insane at the SAME TIME, and more.  (Read 798 times)

Foster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I didn't have anything worth trading by the time the first caravan came, so the merchant and donkey just sat at the top of the map until it was time to leave.  At almost the same time they were supposed to leave, the Donkey went "stark raving mad" and the merchant was stricken with melancholy.  Which is pretty awesome, because all of their items instantly became mine for free.  ;D

Here is why I decided it would be important to post this on here:  I've also had a farmer and a bookkeeper go insane as well, all in the first year.  Seems like it's happening a lot more often than normally.  I would be wondering if this is because of the terrifying area, but this isn't my first embark in such a place, and the constant insanity has never been an issue.

Also, all my other dwarves that haven't went insane have all become unhappy at least once or twice.  It seems like the dwarves' sanity is very fragile.  I have lots of things to keep them happy.  I have a waterfall in the dining area, they all have "fantastic" bedrooms to sleep in, and they have plenty of food and booze.

The unhappiness triggered when a miner died from chasing a zombie carp into a river.  His death immediately caused an otherwise happy farmer to go insane, and the rest of my original 7 became unhappy from it.  The bookkeeper went insane not long after.

Just seems like some very odd behavior, possibly a glitch? 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant dwarf and his donkey both go insane at the SAME TIME, and more.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:37:37 pm »

Tantrum spiral narrowly diverted.  Sounds like you have a bunch of tightly nit friends - and then one dies.  Another gets so upset he goes and kills himself, triggering another tantrum spiral.  Except you managed to halt it there.  Lucky you didn't experience a full blown spiral.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant dwarf and his donkey both go insane at the SAME TIME, and more.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:46:37 pm »

Also you when you view a dorf's thoughts using "v" then "z" you can see what it is that is causing them to be unhappy. This way you can find out what sort of things are causing them to go insane (aside from the almost tantrum spiral) and try to prevent or remove what is causing it all.