Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfy Pot Production  (Read 1894 times)

Rastaphanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfy Pot Production
« on: September 15, 2011, 12:47:37 pm »

Ok, so I have fire clay and white sand on my embark, but no volcano. I prefer using pots as opposed to barrels to save my valuable wood for more important things (i.e. beds and training spears). Without lava I still need wood for charcoal so I can make these pots.

Then it came to me. I was gonna drop my fire clay and sand INTO the 3rd cavern layer that would be my home (to reduce time between kiln & clay). I thought "this will be easy... just like plugging an aquifer...only bigger."

After several minutes with dwarves on [SPEED:0], the magnificent chunk of glorious clay that I would establish my booze-making industry on collapsed. I looked at the smoke for several seconds, not wanting to spoil it by examining it. The smoke finally clearing, the pink ground below it revealed itself. My fire clay had turned into SILTY CLAY!!

That's not what I had planned for at all...
Quote from: DF Wiki
Eating is believed to cause noise within 1 or 2 tiles; probably 1. It is unknown whether the noise radiates from the eating dwarf or his food.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfy Pot Production
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:51:05 pm »

Did you drop a floor or a wall?  I've heard that soil especially has a bad habit of turning into "whatever seems natural" sort of like when you floor over and remove a floor, it'll revert to layer stone.  I've heard that wall segments that are dropped retain their natural status, and in fact you can harvest clay and sand from a wall (try it!).

Rastaphanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:12:33 pm »

Sadly, nothing but a dead dwarf and a crippled one in  the bottom of a pit. Even when I drop the wall it just changes to what's there...

I did get some pretty cool ice structures though. The water froze in the air and looks like waves of ice. Too bad they'll melt soon.
Eating is believed to cause noise within 1 or 2 tiles; probably 1. It is unknown whether the noise radiates from the eating dwarf or his food.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:38:14 pm »

Just curious, but are you aware that you can also make pots from rocks now?  You don't necessarily need clay.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 01:43:07 pm »

When I read the title.. I though of a different kind of "pot".  :P

Rastaphanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 02:11:51 pm »

Just curious, but are you aware that you can also make pots from rocks now?  You don't necessarily need clay.

Yes...I knew that... I err... wanna save stone for my pretty crafts?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 02:19:31 pm »

... I err... wanna save stone for my pretty crafts?
Save what? Did you embark on a aquifer?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Rastaphanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 02:22:46 pm »

I did actually... and funnily enough like half of my stone layer is taken up by gold and caverns