Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Lightspeed Repeater and Lightspeed Computer  (Read 15329 times)

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
Re: Lightspeed Repeater and Lightspeed Computer
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 02:09:43 pm »

Are you sure that the computer that you're talking about is a full computer and not just a processor, with each line representing a different processor thread? Or am I getting my computer engineering terms mixed up again?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 04:14:42 pm »

I didn't put any restrictions on what the thing I call "computer" in my design can do, only on how it should be built. So you can build a simple repeater, an adding machine, a processor or something completely different, as long as all the restrictions I mentioned and the remaining construction process are strictly kept to. Also, the lines are not different threads. Think of what's going on here as using typewriters to write a text, using a different typewriter for each letter, because every typewriter mysteriously jams for a while after typing a letter.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 04:33:57 pm »

So you're telling me we're going to need 24 of your computers to fully utilize the alphabet.
'Yo Dawg, I heard you like typing! So I put a keyboard in your keyboard so you can type while you type!
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 05:44:30 pm »

Well, a lightspeed computer is a giant jump from the old designs which could take even an ingame year to calculate a simple thing. I'm looking at you, fellas.

Now to somehow miniaturize it and we're off to creating ingame monitors, keyboards, and a data storage device. Then, we're off to creating Dwarf Fortress, in Dwarf Fortress, running 1 FPS at 1 FPS.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 05:46:40 pm »

Yo, Dawg, I heard you Like Dwarf Fortress.
So I had your Dwarf Minions make a Dwarfputer in your Computer, and then Program Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf Fortress, so you could run your computer when you're running your computer, and you could kill your Nobles while you're killing your nobles. How 'bout that?!
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 06:01:09 pm »

Perhaps you could use killing nobles to kill nobles into killing nobles?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 10:51:08 am »

i'm studying your designs magmafry and the others on the wiki

btw, since water has 7+1=8 levels, i'm thinking maybe a septagesimal or octal computer would be possible
but it seems inefficient in my head, though it would theoretically make the design compact.

i'll probably be back with more on this as i read on
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 01:54:57 pm »

i'm studying your designs magmafry and the others on the wiki

btw, since water has 7+1=8 levels, i'm thinking maybe a septagesimal or octal computer would be possible
but it seems inefficient in my head, though it would theoretically make the design compact.

i'll probably be back with more on this as i read on

I don't think that you can use water levels as efficient data storage, not only because 1/7 water will evaporate, but also because you can't quickly adjust the water level without having to disperse water over several tiles, creating a need to wait for unknown time.
Also dispersion over multiple tiles will give the water an opportunity to evaporate, which does not work well with your design principle.
The only way to avoid these consequences is to not distribute water at all during the calculation process, by using differently leveled water tiles that you do not allow to combine under any circumstances, thus effectively rendering the water level useless, as the potential paths of differently leveled water tiles cannot combine without elaborate security measures to prevent the water itself from combining, in which case you could just use 7/7 tiles for the same purpose.
Also, if you want to accurately read the water level of a water tile to an accuracy of 1/7, you will need at least 4 different pressure plates and an elaborate mechanism to differ between the different results, which is actually worse than just using 3 bits of 0/7 or 7/7 water.

Final note: All my designs mentioned here still work perfectly if you replace the 7/7 water with 6/7 or 2/7 or stuff, but only because all pieces of water have strictly separate paths.

Other final note: a septagesimal system has base 70, which is probably not what you meant.

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 02:16:53 pm »

This might be a little bit too metaphysical for yall:

If a dwarf moves every 10 Urists of time, and a door is open every 2 Urists of time, but closed every other Urist, is the door open, closed, or both? 

Answer:  Depends on the dwarf.  Any dwarf born on an even urist will find the door always open, any dwarf born on an odd urist will find the door always closed. 

Lets see your divided forts do that!

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 02:18:23 pm »

Of course, that assumes dwarves can be born without their parent moving, and or that the original dwarves or migrant waves came with dwarves born on both even and odd Urists. 

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2011, 03:28:13 pm »

I don't think that you can use water levels as efficient data storage, not only because 1/7 water will evaporate, but also because you can't quickly adjust the water level without having to disperse water over several tiles, creating a need to wait for unknown time.

-snip-

Other final note: a septagesimal system has base 70, which is probably not what you meant.

lol you're right i didnt think of evaporation at all and yeah i was thinking of base-7 not 70 :P

though if the logic is fast enough, with water teleportation and your repeater for a clock, maybe evaporation time is way longer than the gate propagation time, so it might be slow enough for a fast gate circuit. no good for memory ofcourse.

anyway, too tired to think right now, so i'll process it tomorrow
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2011, 03:47:39 pm »

If a dwarf moves every 10 Urists of time, and a door is open every 2 Urists of time, but closed every other Urist, is the door open, closed, or both? 

Answer:  Depends on the dwarf.  Any dwarf born on an even urist will find the door always open, any dwarf born on an odd urist will find the door always closed. 

That's actually really interesting.  I've half a mind to redesign my goblin timer to separate delay 10 goblins into evens and odds.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2011, 04:26:24 pm »

That's actually really interesting.  I've half a mind to redesign my goblin timer to separate delay 10 goblins into evens and odds.

But what if your goblins walk diagonally?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 11:29:29 pm »

Perhaps you could use killing nobles to kill nobles into killing nobles?

Lock them all into the central area of the noble quarters, drop a small cave-in pillar to kill a few and watch the rest tantrum into killing eachother over the loss of their friends

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 02:02:42 am »

But what if your goblins walk diagonally?

What good's a known speed goblin if you let him walk diagonally?  None at all!  I don't let goblins with known speed walk diagonally.

I think the real danger is in if something like caging or stunning creatures changes their nextthink interval.  Wouldn't be surprised.  Have been meaning to run some tests on it.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4