Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [MacOS] DF App Builder v1  (Read 2312 times)

theoutrider

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[MacOS] DF App Builder v1
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:48:21 pm »

So I've been playing DF on my Mac for a while now, but kept being mildly annoyed at the distribution form. As such, I've written a nice little script that will wrap it all up in a nice Mac app that's a bit more pleasant to handle than the existing "folder full of random crap" approach. Currently it's still a bit haphazard because it's a hasty conversion from plain shell script to Automator, but I'll be polishing it more in the near future.

Features:
  • Automatically downloads DF 0.31.25 and Phoebus' Graphics Set, installs the set and packages DF up in native OSX app format!
  • Applies the fix for the startup crash on OSX Lion if necessary!
  • Creates a folder for your saved games in the Library folder, where things should be according to Apple's software guidelines!
  • Imports and updates your existing saved games to work with Phoebus' graphics!

Planned features:
  • Less reliance on shell scripting in the middle of the Automator workflow
  • Support storing saves in Dropbox folder rather than Application Support
  • Support for other or no graphics sets
  • Automatically grab the current versions of Phoebus and DF rather than a hardwired version

Credit where it's due: the graphics set is downloaded straight from DFFD, and the icon used for the resulting DF app was created by Dark_Tundra.

And here it is, build 1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17380523/DFApp/DFAppBuilder.zip

Please do let me know if you run into problems with it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:25:09 am by theoutrider »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [MacOS] DF App Builder v1
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 02:13:17 am »

Cool, it's a first app for MacOs I see in this modding forum. By the amount of features, it sounds cool!

Looking at your "update phoebus" approach, wouldn't it be better to expand it to "update your picked mod" instead? I am sure many people would appreciate it (basically they would have to insert a link to DFFD mod themselves, and the program would update if necessary).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:51:17 am »

Lazy newb pack for Mac, in a nice packaging? Sounds great!
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

theoutrider

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:59:41 am »

The problem with support for mods is that they might not all have the same folder structure etc. in their archives, so making a generic installation routine for them might be messy. I'll have a few thinks about it... there might be Ways To Do Things.

theoutrider

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:37:13 pm »

Just FYI: Reddit tells me that the .app built by this does not play nice with the OSX version of Dwarf Therapist. I'm investigating.

sxtxixtxcxh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 09:21:41 pm »

Just FYI: Reddit tells me that the .app built by this does not play nice with the OSX version of Dwarf Therapist. I'm investigating.

If you right click, click on show package contents, navigate to Content/MacOS/ and then launch df from the command line from inside there it should be fine.

theoutrider

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 09:41:05 pm »

Oddly enough that doesn't seem to do it. I'm guessing that Finder recognises it's inside an .app folder and runs that with all the correct metadata, instead of just running the executable you've selected as though it was normal. Running df from Terminal might do it though.

ghalidrim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:10:08 pm »

I'm working on an update for the DwarfTherapist build I've put out there to work with this package.

Edit: Alright, I have a test version ready, worked on my box. This will probably only work on Lion machines, and definitely only on 64 bit machines. If there is anyone out there who needs to run this on Snow Lion, please let me know and I'll find someone (or tell one of you guys) how to compile it from snow lion. There are some minor changes in this release related to how it discovers the running Dwarf Fortress app. It *should* work with either the packaged version or the standard df release, I say should because I have been drinking and didn't want to test the non-packaged version.

http://fisherspdx.com/DwarfTherapist/DwarfTherapist.dmg
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:59:07 pm by ghalidrim »

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 01:57:45 pm »

What am I doing wrong?
(Version 10.6.8 if that helps)

ghalidrim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 02:09:43 pm »

You probably don't have growl installed: http://growl.info/

neoice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 08:17:58 pm »

have you considered making the Phoebus part optional? I'm willing to contribute a patch.

alternatively, is there a way to change the resolution on the Phoebus? I'm not opposed to the graphics, but it decreases the amount of tiles I can hold in my screen by about 50%!

theoutrider

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 03:48:38 am »

I'll be ditching the Growl notifications - was working under the assumption that Automator would just quietly ignore them if the action wasn't present, but it makes sense it wouldn't really.

And yeah, I will be allowing a choice of whether or not to install Phoebus, and other common mods/graphics sets if I can make it happen.

feliks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 08:39:32 pm »

New player here, but aye, I too wish to disable to graphic sets--purist, like to get a good handle on the vanilla version of things before even adding a graphic set.

Thanks for the hard work!

-D